Another classic goal from Diarmuid Connolly, Footballer of the Year

Started by The Hill is Blue, October 06, 2014, 01:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

orangeman

Connolly is an unbelievable talent but I expect JOD to get the POTY award.

Connolly has lit the season up for club and county and I hope he gets the award but with Kerry winning the AI I think JOD will sneak it.

INDIANA

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2014, 08:43:55 PM
Best player in Ireland at club level.

bollox to that JOD can only dream about doing some of the things connolly can do on a football pitch. He couldn't even get a score against donegal.

but because kerrymen edit most of the poxy newspapers in the country you can be sure he'll get it.

twohands!!!

Saw this posted on another site

QuoteConnolly's intercounty season

Laois 1-1
Wexford 0-2
Meath 0-1
Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
Donegal 0-5(1f)

He scored 2-11 in 5 games with 2-9 of it coming from play.

However I also had a look at the number of shots he took in the various games [from the dontfoul blog]

Against Laois he took 4 shots, 3 against Wexford, 3 from Meath , 5 against Monaghan, and 7 against Donegal.

[These are just shots from play]

So basically he took 22 shots and got 10 scores. [a 45% strike rate]

Overall matches my impression of him - he's capable of getting incredible scores but he's also not particularly clinical. You look at those figures and you have to think Connolly is probably a bit fortunate to be nominated for POTY. T

To my mind Paul Flynn had a much better season (and notched up 1-12 from play) and is much more valuable to the Dublin team than Connolly but because he doesn't get the spectacular scores isnt getting as much praise.

INDIANA

Quote from: orangeman on October 18, 2014, 08:57:51 PM
Connolly is an unbelievable talent but I expect JOD to get the POTY award.

Connolly has lit the season up for club and county and I hope he gets the award but with Kerry winning the AI I think JOD will sneak it.

its to do with Nordies who wouldn't know what a good footballer is.

And that kerrymen control the print media.

INDIANA

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 18, 2014, 09:30:23 PM

Laois 1-1
Wexford 0-2
Meath 0-1
Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
Donegal 0-5(1f)

However I also had a look at the number of shots he took in the various games [from the dontfoul blog]

Against Laois he took 4 shots, 3 against Wexford, 3 from Meath , 5 against Monaghan, and 7 against Donegal.

Overall matches my impression of him - he's capable of getting incredible scores but he's also not particularly clinical. You look at those figures and you have to think Connolly is probably a bit fortunate to be nominated for POTY. T

To my mind Paul Flynn had a much better season (and notched up 1-12 from play) and is much more valuable to the Dublin team than Connolly but because he doesn't get the spectacular scores isnt getting as much praise.

the fact that the above poster clearly can't count renders his analysis redundant IMO.

Paul Flynn is an outstanding Gaelic footballer and we are blessed to have him but he is not and never will have the ability to win a game on his own.

It is a rare quality only bestowed on the chosen few. A county might get 2-3 players in that bracket every 20 years if they are lucky.

JOD has to rely on people to get him the ball. Connolly doesn't.

He can drop into any area of the pitch and get it. He can win aerial ball, tackle- is in the top 2 on the dublin team in terms of fitness and kick from 50 yards with both feet.

JOD can't execute at least 3 of those skills and people really want to tell me he's a better player? Take out his penalties and how many goals has he scored from open play?

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 09:37:42 PM

Laois 1-1
Wexford 0-2
Meath 0-1
Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
Donegal 0-5(1f)

the fact that the above poster clearly can't count renders his analysis redundant IMO.

Paul Flynn is an outstanding Gaelic footballer and we are blessed to have him but he is not and never will have the ability to win a game on his own.

It is a rare quality only bestowed on the chosen few. A county might get 2-3 players in that bracket every 20 years if they are lucky.

He can drop into any area of the pitch and get it. He can win aerial ball, tackle- is in the top 2 on the dublin team in terms of fitness and kick from 50 yards with both feet.

JOD can't execute at least 3 of those skills and people really want to tell me he's a better player? Take out his penalties and how many goals has he scored from open play?

2..same as Connolly.

As to your silly comment that JOD "couldn't even score against Donegal"..I'd have to ask sincerely if you really watched the game if you think that's a relevant point?
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 09:30:04 PM

bollox to that JOD can only dream about doing some of the things connolly can do on a football pitch. He couldn't even get a score against donegal.

but because kerrymen edit most of the poxy newspapers in the country you can be sure he'll get it.

Good man Indiana. You have just shown yourself up as someone who knows sweet fcuk all about football with that comment about JOD.
The Aristocrat Years

INDIANA

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on October 18, 2014, 09:53:03 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 09:37:42 PM

Laois 1-1
Wexford 0-2
Meath 0-1
Monaghan 1-2 (1f)
Donegal 0-5(1f)

2..same as Connolly.

As to your silly comment that JOD "couldn't even score against Donegal"..I'd have to ask sincerely if you really watched the game if you think that's a relevant point?

he played in exactly the same area of the pitch as DC. Difference is DC can kick points from 50 yards. That's the relevant point. It's a lot harder to kick scores from 50 yards then 21 yards

INDIANA

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 18, 2014, 09:58:18 PM

Good man Indiana. You have just shown yourself up as someone who knows sweet fcuk all about football with that comment about JOD.

I know a lot about football and JOD is one of the best corner forwards in Ireland but he is not the best footballer in Ireland.

5 Sams

Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 10:04:01 PM

I know a lot about football and JOD is one of the best corner forwards in Ireland but he is not the best footballer in Ireland.

I didn't say he was. I would actually agree that DC is the best player in Ireland at the minute. I'm commenting on your statement about how he couldn't even score against Donegal. The reason he didn't was that Fitz gave him a job to do. He did it. Kerry won the All Ireland. Sin é.
The Aristocrat Years

Mid Down Gael

Dermo is the greatest player in ireland bar none. There are many good ones but that man Connolly is pure class. Was priveledged to be In Parnell earlier to watch another one of his great displays.

INDIANA

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 18, 2014, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 18, 2014, 10:04:01 PM

I didn't say he was. I would actually agree that DC is the best player in Ireland at the minute. I'm commenting on your statement about how he couldn't even score against Donegal. The reason he didn't was that Fitz gave him a job to do. He did it. Kerry won the All Ireland. Sin é.

He played in exactly the same area of the pitch as Dermot. I can put the video up if you like. But he can't kick off both feet from long distance. Wing forwards these days if they score a point or two a game it's a bonus. He gets through all the work a wing forward has to do in a game and still kicks a far higher quota of scores then 99% of wing forwards.

If  he got to play at 11 for Dublin his scoring rate would go through the roof.

5 Sams

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 18, 2014, 10:11:29 PM
Dermo is the greatest player in ireland bar none. There are many good ones but that man Connolly is pure class. Was priveledged to be In Parnell earlier to watch another one of his great displays.

+1 Unreal talent. But when Gooch comes back he'll automatically assume the mantle.  ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 18, 2014, 10:15:48 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 18, 2014, 10:11:29 PM

+1 Unreal talent. But when Gooch comes back he'll automatically assume the mantle.  ;)

Keith Higgins is as good a defender as Connolly is an attacker. 'Best footballer' invariably is a by-word for 'best forward'. There's much more football played without the ball than with it.

I'd still take Flynn over Connolly, consistent and reliable high-level output over such a long period is worth more to me than a mercurial talent. Connolly does have a good case for PotY, though.