All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2015, 07:53:49 AM
Just thought I'd check back here to see if any Tyrone people had decided to speak against the cynical play which is clearly rife at all levels in their teams.

It seems the end justifies the means for them though which is a bit disheartening to see, although not unexpected. It's a pity because the good footballers in Tyrone are being overshadowed by this blight on the game.

My advice Stallion, whatever you do, don't watch Donegal v Tyrone in a few weeks. I'd be afraid that the pure, footballing philosophy based on goodwill and sportsmanship that you are used to seeing on the football fields of Derry will not prepare you for the abomination that is about unfold. I can only imagine you weeping gentlely into your whiskey as you bemoan the death of the game. Stick to Derry club football if you want to see proper gentlemen at work playing the game with gay abandon, only to entertain, where the result is secondary to enjoyment and fair play to all. The county scene only holds disappointment for you at the minute and for the foreseeable future. Best of luck for the season ahead, let's hope Derrys philosophy of pure football (as displayed v Dublin a few weeks ago) catches on, for the good of us all.
That was never a square ball!!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 08:24:23 AM
Just thought I'd check back here to see if any Tyrone people had decided to speak against the cynical play which is clearly rife at all levels in their teams.

It seems the end justifies the means for them though which is a bit disheartening to see, although not unexpected. It's a pity because the good footballers in Tyrone are being overshadowed by this blight on the game.

My advice Stallion, whatever you do, don't watch Donegal v Tyrone in a few weeks. I'd be afraid that the pure, footballing philosophy based on goodwill and sportsmanship that you are used to seeing on the football fields of Derry will not prepare you for the abomination that is about unfold. I can only imagine you weeping gentlely into your whiskey as you bemoan the death of the game. Stick to Derry club football if you want to see proper gentlemen at work playing the game with gay abandon, only to entertain, where the result is secondary to enjoyment and fair play to all. The county scene only holds disappointment for you at the minute and for the foreseeable future. Best of luck for the season ahead, let's hope Derrys philosophy of pure football (as displayed v Dublin a few weeks ago) catches on, for the good of us all.

Benny you missed your calling son. You'd have been great in the Nazi propaganda machine. Tyrone fans are fooling themselves if they think this crop are going to emulate the class of 2001. There is a vast difference in senior football in 01 and 15. Yes you may point to the run Donegal u21s had. Difference being they had Michael Murphy and an already established core of quality senior players.

The Stallion

I am under no illusion about the awful tactics employed by Derry at the minute, and I freely accept that club football in the county is full of cynical play.

However I don't attempt to deny, make excuses for, or in the case of many people here, actually celebrate, the goading, violence and assorted forms of cheating which pervade the game today.

I have no axe to grind with Tyrone, they have had some wonderful footballers in the last 15 years and were the best footballing side in the country for a few years in the last decade.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2015, 08:45:48 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 08:24:23 AM

Benny you missed your calling son. You'd have been great in the Nazi propaganda machine. Tyrone fans are fooling themselves if they think this crop are going to emulate the class of 2001. There is a vast difference in senior football in 01 and 15. Yes you may point to the run Donegal u21s had. Difference being they had Michael Murphy and an already established core of quality senior players.

Who said this team would emulate the 2001 squad? But since you brought it up, I'm not expecting 3 senior All Ireland's from this squad - 2 will do!  :D But it surely can't do player development any harm by winning an AI at U21 level?

Bensars

Attempt no.2 from the Derry man !

Still must try harder.

nrico2006

Great result for Tyrone.  Exciting times ahead given the fact that the 2013 minor team was also very strong and reached the minor final that year.  On the game itself, Tyrone seemed to be the better side but just had no luck up front with a lot of efforts that normally would go over being missed, probably due to the conditions.  As has been mentioned on here a million times, the game wasn't overly dirty although the referee didn't cover himself in glory and seemed to dish out a lot of soft frees to Tipp in particular.  What is frustrating is the reaction to the stamp - if it had been done by a Tyrone player there is no doubt it would have been nothing but deliberate and it would be a major talking point yet because it was done by a non-Tyrone player it 'probably wasn't intentional' as the 'lad isn't like that'.  My view is that it was intentional, and McShane was targeted from the start.  I am not sure what the rule is regarding the push and concession of a free etc, but 'pushing' is commonplace on the field throughout every game when teams win a free and players hold onto the ball etc, I don't see a big fuss made about those incidents on a game per game basis.  Not much mention of the Tipp number 11 punching either immediately after the push, should have been a straight red too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bensars

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-boss-feargal-logan-denied-entry-to-tipperary-dressingroom-over-cynicism-31192733.htm

QuoteTipp's inference of cynicism wasn't backed up with any imbalance in the free count, 21 each, with Tyrone only 'catching up' in the closing 10 minutes as they ruthlessly battened down the hatches to protect their lead.

Fuzzman

As you are beginning to come around a bit to see things our way. You said.
I think that's true, and I think there is a lot of focus on Tyrone. Whether that is fair or not is moot, but it certainly seems that they have a bad name now. I think I've been fairly fair to Tyrone over the years, and I think they are very good at closing a game out, but I don't think they are any more cynical than Kerry, Donegal, Dublin or anyone else would be in similar circumstances.

This is the point that motivated me to post the YouTube video. Tyrone seem to have become the scapegoat for a lot of the negative things in the game now and whilst we are far from angels I feel RTE pundits who have massive influences over everyone's perceptions, have given us this bad name. Spillane gave us the Puke football label whilst Spillane used to often be found back in his own full back line helping his defence. Kerry football was taken down a few pegs in the noughties as we gave them no respect so a very strong anti Tyrone feeling was born. This then spread into club matches between teams from the two counties and then went onto Joe Duffy for God sake. All one way opinion with no one telling Tyrone side of the story.
Brolly loved it all when we were beating all Southern teams but Brolly is no lover if Tyrone as we found out later. IMHO Brolly who loves to be controversial has used his public ego to bad mouth Tyrone at every opportunity. He apologised privately to Sean Cavanagh but not publicly on RTE. Damage to Sean's reputation was already done and whilst many pundits and managers all admitted they would have done the same Sean will be forever remembered for that tackle. Did the Dubs do similar tactics v Mayo in the final a few years ago? Was there the same uproar?
Did Dublin have two biting incidents in the same year?
Was that conveniently brushed under the carpet?
See my point? Tyrone do something its all over the.media and even grannies who know nothing about a game think we are monsters.
Mickey Harte and Co. decision to not talk to RTE might be well founded but it also helps the anti Tyrone propaganda mushroom.

I came back from that game proud of my county for first time in years. The biased and unfounded rubbish I read on here provoked me to say F**k this I'm not just gonna bite my tongue any more. I watched the game again yesterday and it was not an overly negative, defensive, niggly or dirty game. Of course we closed the game out in the last 5 mins. The most cynical incident I have now highlighted to show others how they are just picking on Tyrone but turning a blind eye to Tipperary.
Can those who are saying Tyrone were very cynical in this game can you list out what incidents you mean.

tippabu

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2015, 03:48:23 AM
the stamp was a dirty action there is no doubt about but to be fair its part and parcel of the game as someone mentioned earlier happens 100s of times up and down the country.

The difference is in the media portrayal of it and everyone on here knows if it was the other way around the usual suspects would be flat out villanising everyone and everything Tyrone for a one piece of opportunistic foul play by one player.

The match was a good match especially so considering the conditions and Tyrone were clearly the better team and should have won by more but for some nervous/bad decision making in front of the posts.

The match was not dirty or even that cynical, the ref had a tough job in those conditions and he was poor, but equally so for both teams, players were getting frees for sliding on the surface and they knew they would get the free so they played on this, again something that happens up and down the country. Some posters say the Tipp goal wasn't a foul on the keeper....ehhh do you know the rules of the game? the keeper can't be tackled in the small rectangle, its a free out, the ref got this right at least.

The changing room incident is just bad form and as for the Tipp county board member...what a total eejit he'll probably regret it in a few weeks if he his ego allows it, I would love to ask him what he was trying to achieve by it...the worrying thing is people think that its an ok thing to do, its clearly not. Its petty, childish and pure sour grapes

Anyway the point  I am trying to make is that people had their mind made up about Tyrone before this match had even started. The Rossie lads are especially feeling sore from the semi as they have a good generation of players that they felt could sweep all before them but they took Tyrone for granted in the semi who in turn were fired up and we blew them out of the water. You may feel that on another day Roscommon might have won, that's fair enough, that day they didn't but if thats how you feel its more to do with your own players than Tyrone.

So to all the haters leave off, congratulate or say nothing, let the players enjoy the win and if you want to plot their downfall... do it on the pitch and don't try and discredit this team for coming through a very tough campaign and playing some great football, a fantastic achievement.

So congrats our u21s you've done us proud and commiserations to Tipp after putting up a great display

Just had looked it up and correct you are and a correct decision it was, i did say a keeper will get it 10 out of 10 times but didnt actually know the rules.

When he is within the small rectangle, the
goalkeeper may not be charged but he may
be challenged for possession of the ball, and
his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental
contact with the goalkeeper while playing the
ball is permitted

Tell me this do you know what rules actually constitutes loss of a free for a team? taking a free from the wrong place is one, is there actually anything black and white that lists out the reasons?  Again Ive accepted defeat and if it turns out the ball should have been thrown up at the end im not going to comeback with a reply saying we were robbed or any stuff like that just would actually like to know.

tippabu

Quote from: Bensars on May 04, 2015, 09:32:30 AM

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-boss-feargal-logan-denied-entry-to-tipperary-dressingroom-over-cynicism-31192733.htm

QuoteTipp's inference of cynicism wasn't backed up with any imbalance in the free count, 21 each, with Tyrone only 'catching up' in the closing 10 minutes as they ruthlessly battened down the hatches to protect their lead.

Everyone agrees that it bad form and will be regretted not leaving logan into the dressing room.

For me a free count doesnt equal cynicism, you can just have bad or miss timed tackles, if one team posses the ball more than the other you would expect them to get more frees.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 04, 2015, 12:31:52 AM
I think all the L counties don't mind us too much O'Neill.
I'm hoping for a defeat in two weeks time and then trips to Longford, Louth, London, Leitrim, Limerick and maybe even Londonderry.
Sorry lads only messing as trying to calm down from earlier. Don't rise to the bait. Speaking of Derry where is Mr Tickle and his Armagh friends?

I would love a weekend in London though. Have they any Tyrone lads playing for them?

Thought Mark Bradley looked sharp yesterday and hope to see him and McShane a lot more this summer. Also was impressed by some of those defenders. Their work ethic is amazing.
Congrats tyrone
Tipp just didn't have the tradition or know how to win the big game
Hard luck to them

Fuzz - for the above transgression I will re-enact the tipp cynical kick-stamp on you and show you how it should be done next night out for a pint as per my email.

Unlike the tipp lad who took the opportunity when it presented itself, he didn't have a degree or exp in the dark arts!

Players and teams play on the edge to win and winners will play in or over that edge. It didn't work out for tipp but that's football. Well done red arses!

Would love to see Derry play with the cynicism that Dublin donegal mayo Kerry play with- instead of one off defensive games v Dublin!

yellowcard

A lot of Tyrone supporters appear to have serious issues with others perception of them, their conduct and their tactics. When you adopt a 'do whatever it takes' mentality and put the bigger emphasis on defence then the very most you can expect is to be admired, but you will never be universally loved. Similar to Mayweather and Chelsea it is only really their own supporters who will take any joy in their success.

The Stallion

It's the cowardly behaviour such as goading, gouging, kneeling on, nipping, feigning injury, diving etc which many Tyrone players have routinely engaged in over the last 15 years that understandably leaves a sour taste in the mouths of many observers.

Some great footballers over that time of course, but unfortunately even some of them will be remembered more for the cynical cheating they undertook than their great performances.

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on May 04, 2015, 11:08:14 AM
A lot of Tyrone supporters appear to have serious issues with others perception of them, their conduct and their tactics. When you adopt a 'do whatever it takes' mentality and put the bigger emphasis on defence then the very most you can expect is to be admired, but you will never be universally loved. Similar to Mayweather and Chelsea it is only really their own supporters who will take any joy in their success.

Not really, it's the complete blindness of the media when others conduct themselves in the same way that irks slightly and means we feel like we need to put our point of view forward. Make no mistake, the comments on here and the blinkered perception of others makes any Tyrone success that little bit more enjoyable. I do however,  welcome the comparison to Floyd Mayweather and Chelsea - serial winners!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 04, 2015, 11:08:14 AM

Not really, it's the complete blindness of the media when others conduct themselves in the same that irks slightly and means we feel like we need to put our point of view forward. Make no mistake, the comments on here and the blinkered perception of others makes any Tyrone success that little bit more enjoyable. I do however,  welcome the comparison to Floyd Mayweather and Chelsea - serial winners! Who is your county similar too? Frank Bruno?

I still don't see anything wrong in how Tyrone played, maybe it's playing on a serial winning team does that to you!!!  The stamp was a clear stamp and a clear sending off.  It was the singular most cynical event of the game.  The foul on the keeper was a clear foul but the ref probably should have hopped the ball after the incident involving the guy getting sent off.  There was very little between the 2 teams and Tyrone used their knowledge of how to win big games to close it out.  The Tipp manager should show a bit of decorum in defeat.  A sore loser is very hard to stomach, suck it up and use it as motivation to drive lads on at a later stage.  Fergal Logan is a gentleman and I have known him for many years.  He lashed out a bit after the semi but that was at the Press and rightly so I think. 

Remember too lads I hate Tyrone with a passion and would be happy to see them beaten every single game and humiliated as much as possible but I don't see any issue in the way this game was won and really there needs to be a little less sucking of sour grapes.