All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2015, 11:30:20 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 04, 2015, 11:08:14 AM
A lot of Tyrone supporters appear to have serious issues with others perception of them, their conduct and their tactics. When you adopt a 'do whatever it takes' mentality and put the bigger emphasis on defence then the very most you can expect is to be admired, but you will never be universally loved. Similar to Mayweather and Chelsea it is only really their own supporters who will take any joy in their success.

Not really, it's the complete blindness of the media when others conduct themselves in the same that irks slightly and means we feel like we need to put our point of view forward. Make no mistake, the comments on here and the blinkered perception of others makes any Tyrone success that little bit more enjoyable. I do however,  welcome the comparison to Floyd Mayweather and Chelsea - serial winners! Who is your county similar too? Frank Bruno?

I still don't see anything wrong in how Tyrone played, maybe it's playing on a serial winning team does that to you!!!  The stamp was a clear stamp and a clear sending off.  It was the singular most cynical event of the game.  The foul on the keeper was a clear foul but the ref probably should have hopped the ball after the incident involving the guy getting sent off.  There was very little between the 2 teams and Tyrone used their knowledge of how to win big games to close it out.  The Tipp manager should show a bit of decorum in defeat.  A sore loser is very hard to stomach, suck it up and use it as motivation to drive lads on at a later stage.  Fergal Logan is a gentleman and I have known him for many years.  He lashed out a bit after the semi but that was at the Press and rightly so I think. 

Remember too lads I hate Tyrone with a passion and would be happy to see them beaten every single game and humiliated as much as possible but I don't see any issue in the way this game was won and really there needs to be a little less sucking of sour grapes. 

Fair comment bc1 on all aspects.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Throw ball

It seems some Tyrone posters are getting very sensitive and are using the 'stamp' incident as deflection. You won so shouldn't care too much. For me the stamp, just like the 'knee' incident, could have been red. Both may or may not have been deliberate so whatever the referee decided should be accepted. Move on. As for the Tyrone manager not being allowed into the changing room. Who cares! The Tipperary team had just suffered an agonising defeat. Sometimes emotions make for silly decisions.

Still feel it is a pity we did not see both teams play on a good day.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 09:06:04 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2015, 08:45:48 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 08:24:23 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2015, 07:53:49 AM
Just thought I'd check back here to see if any Tyrone people had decided to speak against the cynical play which is clearly rife at all levels in their teams.

It seems the end justifies the means for them though which is a bit disheartening to see, although not unexpected. It's a pity because the good footballers in Tyrone are being overshadowed by this blight on the game.

My advice Stallion, whatever you do, don't watch Donegal v Tyrone in a few weeks. I'd be afraid that the pure, footballing philosophy based on goodwill and sportsmanship that you are used to seeing on the football fields of Derry will not prepare you for the abomination that is about unfold. I can only imagine you weeping gentlely into your whiskey as you bemoan the death of the game. Stick to Derry club football if you want to see proper gentlemen at work playing the game with gay abandon, only to entertain, where the result is secondary to enjoyment and fair play to all. The county scene only holds disappointment for you at the minute and for the foreseeable future. Best of luck for the season ahead, let's hope Derrys philosophy of pure football (as displayed v Dublin a few weeks ago) catches on, for the good of us all.

Benny you missed your calling son. You'd have been great in the Nazi propaganda machine. Tyrone fans are fooling themselves if they think this crop are going to emulate the class of 2001. There is a vast difference in senior football in 01 and 15. Yes you may point to the run Donegal u21s had. Difference being they had Michael Murphy and an already established core of quality senior players.

Who said this team would emulate the 2001 squad? But since you brought it up, I'm not expecting 3 senior All Ireland's from this squad - 2 will do!  :D But it surely can't do player development any harm by winning an AI at U21 level?

Recent success at u21 level has got Cavan nowhere and sure look at Galway. The correlation just isn't there as it was in the past. Ah well Peter the great will now replace Saint Mickey which can only be a good thing  ::)

rodney trotter

Cavan didn't have an established spine to the Senior team. A lot of the older members were  let go of the panel and started from scrath with the younger players from the u21s, they don't develop into a serious force at Senior level just like that.

, whereas Donegal when they won in Ulster u21 in  2010 had already, Gallagher, lacey, Rory Kavanagh etc. Not a great comparison

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2015, 01:10:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 09:06:04 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2015, 08:45:48 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 04, 2015, 08:24:23 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 04, 2015, 07:53:49 AM
Just thought I'd check back here to see if any Tyrone people had decided to speak against the cynical play which is clearly rife at all levels in their teams.

It seems the end justifies the means for them though which is a bit disheartening to see, although not unexpected. It's a pity because the good footballers in Tyrone are being overshadowed by this blight on the game.

My advice Stallion, whatever you do, don't watch Donegal v Tyrone in a few weeks. I'd be afraid that the pure, footballing philosophy based on goodwill and sportsmanship that you are used to seeing on the football fields of Derry will not prepare you for the abomination that is about unfold. I can only imagine you weeping gentlely into your whiskey as you bemoan the death of the game. Stick to Derry club football if you want to see proper gentlemen at work playing the game with gay abandon, only to entertain, where the result is secondary to enjoyment and fair play to all. The county scene only holds disappointment for you at the minute and for the foreseeable future. Best of luck for the season ahead, let's hope Derrys philosophy of pure football (as displayed v Dublin a few weeks ago) catches on, for the good of us all.

Benny you missed your calling son. You'd have been great in the Nazi propaganda machine. Tyrone fans are fooling themselves if they think this crop are going to emulate the class of 2001. There is a vast difference in senior football in 01 and 15. Yes you may point to the run Donegal u21s had. Difference being they had Michael Murphy and an already established core of quality senior players.

Who said this team would emulate the 2001 squad? But since you brought it up, I'm not expecting 3 senior All Ireland's from this squad - 2 will do!  :D But it surely can't do player development any harm by winning an AI at U21 level?

Recent success at u21 level has got Cavan nowhere and sure look at Galway.

Bit early to be saying that to be honest. Most of those players are still relatively new to senior football. If they do nothing 5 years down the line they you may have a point.

brokencrossbar1

As for getting excited about u21 breaking through to senior success I give you Armagh 2004 AI winning u21s supplementing an AI winning senior team. Limited return on it. Huge jump up in terms of physicality etc and there will still be a lot of work to do

Walter Cronc

That's my point and no disrespect to the Cavan and Galway men here. This Tyrone crop will have their work cut out big time. They are coming into a senior panel that just just doesn't have the quality. Much like Cavan and Galway. As I said in the earlier post Donegal had McGee x 2, Lacey, Gallagher, Kavanagh, McFadden.

POD

As a Tipp man at the game I thought Tyrone just about shaded it. They learnt from first half mistakes when they took a lot of wrong options with a lot of speculative shots. They drove through the middle in the second half and took their chances that came from this well. I did think the antics in the last 5 minutes weren't needed. I obversed 16 players on the pitch, overplaying of injuries, goalie with cramp (a first in all my years watching many sports) and the goalies tee being thrown 20 yards to one side. Like I said marginally the better side, didn't need to do it but perhaps that's the way the game has gone. I suspect it isn't unique to Tyrone or Gaelic football. I was reading about one of the Irish rugby players from the recent past who was one of the go to guys to feign an injury at the scrum for whatever reason. That was ok though as he was one of ours...

DermyTDredi

It was a great game - very tense and some great scores given the conditions.

As a Tyrone fan, it's easy to get into the siege mentality and see it as everyone is out to get us but at the end of the day, Tyrone used every single bit of experience that they had on the sideline to win that game - Logan wasn't a dirty footballer at all and the notion that Tyrone coach that style of football is flattering in so far as it suggests there is a strategy at all.

But there isn't. Plan and simple.

The academy set up may well change that, but until then...

Tipperary probably lack the experience at that level and for their management team to berate Tyrone for their tactics and to close the door on Logan shows that they too lacked experience of dealing with defeat at that level - esp having beaten Cork and Dublin on the way through.

I have seen coaching at every level in tyrone. seen it in Armagh and Antrim too. In club football, say in Derry for example, or Armagh, teams like Balinderry and Slaughtneil or Crossmaglen, do whatever it takes to bring success at senior level.

listening to guys like brolly in the media would lead you to believe that a winning mentality is wrong? Really?

If it is them lets have 2 competitions running in tandem - one called the All-Ireland and the other called "take it easy now lads, its only a  game..."

Tyrone have been ridiculed and slagged to fcuk in the media this last 2 years with out the thought that maybe, just maybe, there are other teams doing the same....you ever see the picture of Stephen o'neills shirt in the 2010 Cork game? I can remember Plunkett Donaghey getting fucked over by Brian mullins in front of the ref..(just can't remember the year..maybe 1982 or 84?

It has been happening for years and not just by tyrone - its called football lads....Kerry, Dublin, Armagh, Donegal, and Cork...and others all want to win...and its not so much as "win at all costs" but "win with the team you have"

I wish Tipp all the best and genuinely hope that they can keep that team together and learn from the game on Saturday - and drive on to better things...1995 did that for Tyrone....

Syferus

Still a bit unbelievable that none of the Tyrone supporters will admit to the blatantly obvious about their own team. Look, you had good footballers but if you can't see something institutional about the cynicism - which in both the AISF and AI final this year went so far as to seriously endanger the health of their opponents on numerous occasions in an attempt to win - then there really is no point in the rest of us trying to converse with you. Tyrone (and Donegal under Jim) have a win at all costs mentality that goes above and beyond what most other counties are willing to do. Trying to distract from that fact with an incident where a Tipp player stamped on a Tyrone player doesn't really wash with most people either. The fact is you were good enough to win the AI playing quality counter-attacking football without any of the extras. Then you could have rightly ignored the criticism.

I was as happy as anyone when Tyrone won their AIs - it was great to see a county breaking through. But when you see the open play and honesty that typified underage football at the highest levels being replaced with dangerous play and professional cynicism it's depressing. The sad part is that Tyrone's victory this year will encourage managers who are creatively bankrupt to try much the same tactics but without the football skill of this Tyrone team. That's not going to be pretty for anyone.

Live in the world where it's all one great big media conspiracy.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: Syferus on May 04, 2015, 02:02:05 PM
Still a bit unbelievable that none of the Tyrone supporters will admit to the blatantly obvious about their own team. Look, you had good footballers but if you can't see something institutional about the cynicism - which in both the AISF and AI final this year went so far as to seriously endanger the health of their opponents on numerous occasions in an attempt to win - then there really is no point in the rest of us trying to converse with you. Tyrone (and Donegal under Jim) have a win at all costs mentality that goes above and beyond what most other counties are willing to do. Trying to distract from that fact with an incident where a Tipp player stamped on a Tyrone player doesn't really wash with most people either.

Live in the world where it's all one great big media conspiracy.

im not sure what your point is - seriously. do you really think that Tyrone coach cynicism at all levels? Just because Joe Brolly said it on tv therefor it MUST be true...?

skeog

some laugh tipp manager complaining about cynical tactics obviously he has not watched tipp hurling teams of bygone years who knew how to intimidate opponents  john doyle holder of 9 all ireland senior medals i think was no angel but when beaten they took it on the chin unlike his whingers sat night , best team won on the night

BennyHarp

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 04, 2015, 01:45:57 PM
That's my point and no disrespect to the Cavan and Galway men here. This Tyrone crop will have their work cut out big time. They are coming into a senior panel that just just doesn't have the quality. Much like Cavan and Galway. As I said in the earlier post Donegal had McGee x 2, Lacey, Gallagher, Kavanagh, McFadden.

Just out of interest, apart from my obviously sarcastic response to a previous post about winning 2 AIs. Can you clarify which Tyrone posters are confidently claiming that senior success will follow this victory? It does however raise the optimism levels a bit after a few very dull years - but that is all. Perhaps we could go down the Derry route of no evidence of underage success at all and no optimism - how's that worked out for you the past few years? I'm sure you Derry wans would be quite happy with an U21 AI!
That was never a square ball!!

yellowcard

I think it far more likely that the dark arts are being encouraged by the likes of Dooher and Canavan who were well known to engage and employ these tactics themselves as players. Logan as others have rightly pointed out is a well respected figure and that is probably why he has been appointed manager with the other 2 in the background. It will be very interesting to see the dynamic when they step up to take the senior team next year. Will Logan take the helm at senior level or will Canavan jump directly into the managers seat?