Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on August 06, 2013, 10:55:11 AM
Quote from: God14 on August 06, 2013, 10:01:25 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2013, 09:41:17 AM
The question I would ask is....is Joe Brolly attempting to have some influence in dictating the outcome of future matches? These pre-conceived notions about Tyrone cynicism gradually seep their way into the consciousness of the public and referees are under pressure to come down harder on the perceived offenders. He done it last year by highlighting Mayo's cynicism in the run up to last years final since he clearly wanted Donegal to win the AI and he seems to be doing it again this year by labelling Tyrone in the same bracket due to his obvious dislike for his neighbouring county.   

Interesting to read Heaney's take on it in todays Irish News. I'm not sure if RTE deliberately portray Tyrone in such an unflattering manner but it is cetainly a lot easier to continuously do it unchecked when no representative from Tyrone are put forward to defend themselves.

The Tyrone stance with RTE is one I have agreed wholeheartedly with, however it is starting to interfere with how we are being portrayed by the national broadcaster. Even Ger Canning who is normally a sit on the fence type of fella, has started it & there's a very obvious anti Tyrone Bias during commentary.
Tyrone must appoint a spokesperson. Maybe Ciaran McLaughlin could be the man here, County Board chairman. Very articulate individual & as close to the panel & management team, without actually being on it.

We've come to expect this sort of sh*t from Brolly, but in what other sporting media platform would a player & a team be attacked in such manner? I really cant think of any. Not to mind amateur players? Does Joe not owe a respect to these fellas splling their guts for 70+mins?  Only in Ireland would that be tolerated. It was frankly disgusting viewing watching muscus, bile & hate spew from Joes face as he self combusted. Very very ugly & uncomfortable viewing. Yet in the same way many people watch these cruel beheadings on youtube etc carried out by crazed terrorists in the middle east, people are drawn into this and it attracts publicity & viewing figures
That's the real shame & blight on our game, coming hot on the heals of an equally outrageous attack by Joe on Paul Grimley. If RTE do not clean up its act, then the responsibility lies firmly at the door of the Croke Park & GAA HQ. Number 1 priority for them should be ensuring their games are correctly endorsed & publicised and that their players as amateurs cannot be subjected to such rigourous personal attacks.

Unfortunately we get the media and politicians we deserve. We are the oxygen for brollys publicity. Now, right here on this board. yesterday on the BBC/UTV - it takes something big for one broadcaster to promote another free of charge which is exactly what BBC did yesterday - it was like them saying "watch the semi final on RTE" adn the only reason they did was because we have an appetite for it.

The sooner we start preparing for the Semi - emotionally and from a media perspective the better. Let Brolly go and f**k himself

correct.

balladmaker

Joe has a point in relation to the cynical fouling, however, until the rules adequately cater for such fouls and ensuring the punishment is severe enough to deter teams from doing it, then there's no point in questioning Sean Cavanagh's standing as a man.  He's a great player who did what was needed to prevent a goal, albeit, outside of the rules.

It's all irrelevant in the overall scheme of things, neither Tyrone or Monaghan are/were ever going to win this year's All Ireland.

screenexile

In fairness to Joe his rant didn't come out of the blue . . . here's his column from last week!

http://gaeliclife.com/2013/08/joe-brolly-a-message-to-self-righteous-tyrone-fans/

orangeman

I'd say Tyrone are delighted with Brolly's rant.

He has participated widely in the media since he made the rant on Saturday night.

Radio Ulster's Alan Simpson show yesterday was an example of how this has gone viral if you like - Alan Simpson who wouldn't know a gaelic ball if it hit him up the mouth ( he's a big Bannsider's fan ) always lets the audience choose the last song in his show - yesterday evening it was a Joe song or a Mickey song.

Every newspaper and TV station and website is filled with it.

Joe aligned himself as past few years with "Jesus" in Donegal.

Now he's acting " God".

But we shouldn't come down too hard on Joe - Joe has done a lot of good in his life and continues to do a lot of good. But he just can't help himself it seems. He is very entertaining but has crossed the line a few times this year, whether by accident or design.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2013, 11:15:00 AM

He has participated widely in the media since he made the rant on Saturday night.

Radio Ulster's Alan Simpson show yesterday was an example of how this has gone viral if you like - Alan Simpson who wouldn't know a gaelic ball if it hit him up the mouth ( he's a big Bannsider's fan ) always lets the audience choose the last song in his show - yesterday evening it was a Joe song or a Mickey song.

Now he's acting " God".

But we shouldn't come down too hard on Joe - Joe has done a lot of good in his life and continues to do a lot of good. But he just can't help himself it seems. He is very entertaining but has crossed the line a few times this year, whether by accident or design.

Brolly has had a FOOLS PARDON for most of his media life...once he gets the hint of a smile from an audience he goes all Billy Connolly.
Through the media he has slagged of many people - Gooch, Cavanagh, Mickey Harte, Grimley, Ferghal Logan, Spillane - If you dig deeper, you'll get more...all of the good work that he does within the GAA and more recently with Opt for life should not give him credits to slag of other people. he has no idea of the impact that his high profile bullshitting may have on wider family members or indeed those individuals themselves.

Let him go to f**k
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

orangeman

Joe's motoring along nicely.

"They support their own and that's absolutely the way it ought to be but the reality is the pictures speaks for itself," Brolly told BBC radio.

"We can see for ourselves what is happening and it's beginning to poison the ethos of the game.

"It's poisoning relationships and it's making things very, very unpalatable and unpleasant."

Cavanagh has been booked for similar offences in the past three weeks and Brolly has brandished him a "serial offender".

"There's Conor McManus through on goal, his whole sporting life in a way was based on that moment, he's trained since he was a kid," Brolly added.

"He's a tremendous Gaelic footballer, I know his family, and he was through for the goal and he had created adventurously to get his goal chance and this is the big moment, he is going to put Monaghan through to the All-Ireland semi-final [although there were over 20 minutes left in the game] and Seán Cavanagh just cold-bloodedly rugby-tackled him from behind, closed him down, shrugged his shoulders and says afterwards, 'Well, I don't like doing it. It's hateful, I agree with that, but the current rules we're just exploiting them. That's the way we play'.

"I'm calling Seán out on this because he's a serial offender and it's not good enough. He's a 30-year-old and he is responsible for his own behaviour

AZOffaly

Brolly is way off base on this one, because he is focussing in on the wrong incident just because it is high profile. Talk about the other fouls that are just as cynical, and moreso even because there is NO immediate danger. To somehow claim that what Cavanagh did in that incident was unheard of, a recent phenomonen, or something restricted to Tyrone or even Sean Cavanagh is ludicrous.

Mrs mills

Bet won. £50 richer. Anyway, to matters brolly. I think it's time to support Joe and go a step further to start a campaign of condemnation against other unsavoury acts on the pitch, including taunts about family members (especially female), persistent nipping, standing on heels, stamping on toes and spitting. They all happen in our games and they have become the elephant in the room. And to those of you reading this and objecting because these are things in your idea of a man's game, I say feck off and play soccer where these practices have prevailed for generations.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mrs mills on August 06, 2013, 11:28:20 AM
Bet won. £50 richer. Anyway, to matters brolly. I think it's time to support Joe and go a step further to start a campaign of condemnation against other unsavoury acts on the pitch, including taunts about family members (especially female), persistent nipping, standing on heels, stamping on toes and spitting. They all happen in our games and they have become the elephant in the room. And to those of you reading this and objecting because these are things in your idea of a man's game, I say feck off and play soccer where these practices have prevailed for generations.

No argument from me here on that one. That's a far far bigger scourge. Lets include diving in that list of unmanly behaviour as well, especially diving to feign injury and get a lad sent off. Dessie Mone, take a bow.

AZOffaly

I've just realised I'm looking like an apologist for Tyrone, when the Tyrone lads think I'm an apologist for Kerry :)

Syferus

To me it's a tipping point moment. This could have been called on any number of tackles in the last five years but it just so happens it's this one. Tough luck on Tyrone being the ones caught with their hand in the cookie jar but the shake-down from all this will likely be a positive for the sport as a spectacle and as a whole.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on August 06, 2013, 11:21:19 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 06, 2013, 11:15:00 AM

Now he's acting " God".

Brolly has had a FOOLS PARDON for most of his media life...once he gets the hint of a smile from an audience he goes all Billy Connolly.
Through the media he has slagged of many people - Gooch, Cavanagh, Mickey Harte, Grimley, Ferghal Logan, Spillane - If you dig deeper, you'll get more...all of the good work that he does within the GAA and more recently with Opt for life should not give him credits to slag of other people. he has no idea of the impact that his high profile bullshitting may have on wider family members or indeed those individuals themselves.

Let him go to f**k

Is he your clubmate?? ???

HiMucker

Quote from: Mrs mills on August 06, 2013, 11:28:20 AM
I would actually say this sort of thing is more prevalent in GAA than soccer.  Some of the sledging has become ridiculous even @ club level.

Mrs mills

Wasn't there a time when we all castigated the Brazilian Cafu for claiming to have been struck in the face and the blow had connected with his midriff? I cannot believe we are now copying that in Gaelic football. I'm sure there were at least three such incidents at the weekend. Anybody care to elaborate?

AZOffaly

That was Rivaldo against Turkey, but you're correct. However what McFadden and Mone did at the weekend was nearly as bad.