Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: TabClear on May 03, 2021, 11:15:42 AM
Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2021, 10:33:56 PM
But I think they've more net spending than any other side bar City in the last 5 years?

Do Utd want a different billionaire owner just?

Seems to be that after years of slagging off City for their Billionaire owner who treats the club like a toy and spends money hand over fist and flouts FFP laws, what United fans want is a billionaire owner who treats the club like a toy and spends money hand over fist...........

Maybe Sheik M could just buy United and merge them into City's operations. Problem solved, no?  ;)

In all seriousness though, I think the fans have lost the run of themselves in thinking they get to dictate how the corporate is run. As someone said earlier, the Glazers own the club and if they want to structure the club however they want they can. They paid the money, its their choice.

If fans have that big an issue with it then they can vote with their feet, stop attending matches and buying merchandise etc. Thats when then value of the club is impacted. The same fans will then have an issue that the club is spending less on players because it has lower revenues so its a vicious circle.

The fans as a collective stopped the ESL because they had the backing of the powers that be in the FA/UEFA etc along with other fan bases. United fans saw how successful their green and gold protest was when its an individual club, it might have been large numbers in absolute terms but as a proportion of the worldwide fan base it was nothing and changed nothing.

United don't need or want a billionaire owner. The revenue stream allows to complete with the best what they need is competent owners. City without billionaire owners would be back to where they were which was struggling to retain Premier league status.

While yesterday protests sent out the clear message worldwide that bit in bold will hit these owners the most.

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 03, 2021, 04:57:05 PM
But I think they've more net spending than any other side bar City in the last 5 years?

Seems to be that after years of slagging off City for their Billionaire owner who treats the club like a toy and spends money hand over fist and flouts FFP laws, what United fans want is a billionaire owner who treats the club like a toy and spends money hand over fist...........

Maybe Sheik M could just buy United and merge them into City's operations. Problem solved, no?  ;)

In all seriousness though, I think the fans have lost the run of themselves in thinking they get to dictate how the corporate is run. As someone said earlier, the Glazers own the club and if they want to structure the club however they want they can. They paid the money, its their choice.

If fans have that big an issue with it then they can vote with their feet, stop attending matches and buying merchandise etc. Thats when then value of the club is impacted. The same fans will then have an issue that the club is spending less on players because it has lower revenues so its a vicious circle.

The fans as a collective stopped the ESL because they had the backing of the powers that be in the FA/UEFA etc along with other fan bases. United fans saw how successful their green and gold protest was when its an individual club, it might have been large numbers in absolute terms but as a proportion of the worldwide fan base it was nothing and changed nothing.

United don't need or want a billionaire owner. The revenue stream allows to complete with the best what they need is competent owners. City without billionaire owners would be back to where they were which was struggling to retain Premier league status.

While yesterday protests sent out the clear message worldwide that bit in bold will hit these owners the most.

The bit in bold might be true, but how plausible is it that it could be put into practice in any meaningful way?

People give up season tickets? I'm sure there's a queue a mile long waiting to snap them up. If not, the day trippers will snap them up. Same goes at Liverpool and several other of the bigger clubs.

United fan groups know this better than most.

And part of the FSG/Glazer/Perez ESL play was that the worldwide tv fans now matter as much, if not more, than the match-going fans. Does the average supporter in the US or Africa or Asia give two fucks if the Glazers or John Henry are only or mainly in it for the money? They're still going to buy the jersey, pay for the sports subscription and, once or twice in their lives, if they can afford it, take a holiday in Manchester or Liverpool where they'll attend a match, as well as doing the stadium tour and the Beatles experience or whatever.

TabClear

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 03, 2021, 04:57:05 PM

Totally agree with that CF. United, probably more so than any of the other clubs have always the revenue streams to support them at the top level. For years that was driven by the fanbase and the commercial revenues from the stadium relative to the likes of Anfield/Highbury etc. Other clubs have caught up now with the Emirates/TH Stadium and to a lesser extent FSG's redevelopment work at Anfield. The issue they have is that they do have a Billionaire owner and that owner will have to be paid what the club is worth to exit. How does the new buyer get their return on investment as the £Xbn it would take to buy United has to be funded from somewhere? Some investors could take a view that they buy it from "cash" and it will appreciate in value so I will make x% when I sell it on and so I am happy to reinvest all the cashflows into growing the club while I own it. Possible, but  that is a much more risky strategy than buying for £Xbn and then bringing a bank in to pay you half your money back now and spread the risk. To do that however means that some of the cashflow is diverted to pay the debt.

Boycey

1st time I've had a look there but there is absolutely nowhere obvious in the calendar to play a rearranged fixture?

Award the game to Liverpool? Although I've not seen that option mentioned much anywhere.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on May 03, 2021, 09:01:34 PM
1st time I've had a look there but there is absolutely nowhere obvious in the calendar to play a rearranged fixture?

Award the game to Liverpool? Although I've not seen that option mentioned much anywhere.

Might have to move one of Uniteds Wednesday games to a Tuesday, and play Liverpool on the Thursday. United had to do that a couple of times in the 90's. It cost them the league in 92, but already had it won in 97 I think it was.

David McKeown

If the Liverpool v West Brom game was moved forward to midweek when both teams are free then Utd could play Liverpool on the weekend of 15/16 I think.  Not particularly fair on Liverpool or West Brom mind
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Boycey

Quote from: David McKeown on May 03, 2021, 09:40:09 PM

If the Liverpool v West Brom game was moved forward to midweek when both teams are free then Utd could play Liverpool on the weekend of 15/16 I think.  Not particularly fair on Liverpool or West Brom mind

Yeah I spotted a a couple of different alternatives but all involved moving other fixtures which as you say isn't fair on other teams

johnnycool

Quote from: laoislad on May 03, 2021, 07:45:34 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2021, 07:05:13 PM
Good finish but poor defending by Liverpool.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedIssue/status/1388863347609722888
Now there's a guy who understands what the protests were supposed to be about, he's the kind of guy who understands  the club and their current plight. He needs to be applauded for standing up to the billionaire owners of his club.
Though to be fair it is possible that some might be sceptical and see a guy who chanced his arm and followed the mob as they broke into the stadium, armed with a football so he could boast to his mates that he played at and scored a goal at Old Trafford.

VAR would have ruled that one out for handball in the buildup to the play  ;D

Billionaire owners aren't always the problem evidently just the American ones..

The Glazers haven't spent one brass farthing of their own on Manchester United and all the transfer funds spent wisely or otherwise was raised my Man U and yet the Glazers take a chunk out of United year after year as well as servicing the huge dept they've accrued on the Stadium.
Parasites are far too strong a word for them.

The FSG crowd at Liverpool aren't much better, just not as brazen.

TabClear

Quote from: Boycey on May 03, 2021, 09:50:16 PM

Yeah I spotted a a couple of different alternatives but all involved moving other fixtures which as you say isn't fair on other teams

I would say the other teams will not be inclined to be particularly accommodating in sorting out a fixture problem for 2 of the "Big six" given recent events

StPatsAbu

Quote from: johnnycool on May 04, 2021, 09:07:17 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 03, 2021, 07:45:34 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2021, 07:05:13 PM
Good finish but poor defending by Liverpool.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedIssue/status/1388863347609722888
Now there's a guy who understands what the protests were supposed to be about, he's the kind of guy who understands  the club and their current plight. He needs to be applauded for standing up to the billionaire owners of his club.
Though to be fair it is possible that some might be sceptical and see a guy who chanced his arm and followed the mob as they broke into the stadium, armed with a football so he could boast to his mates that he played at and scored a goal at Old Trafford.

VAR would have ruled that one out for handball in the buildup to the play  ;D

Billionaire owners aren't always the problem evidently just the American ones..

The Glazers haven't spent one brass farthing of their own on Manchester United and all the transfer funds spent wisely or otherwise was raised my Man U and yet the Glazers take a chunk out of United year after year as well as servicing the huge dept they've accrued on the Stadium.
Parasites are far too strong a word for them.

The FSG crowd at Liverpool aren't much better, just not as brazen.

Apart from the small fact that FSG bought a club that was broke after the previous owners and invested significant cash. The Glazers invested zilch.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: TabClear on May 04, 2021, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: Boycey on May 03, 2021, 09:50:16 PM

I would say the other teams will not be inclined to be particularly accommodating in sorting out a fixture problem for 2 of the "Big six" given recent events

And from the discussion on twitter from the guys at the front of this they're going to try to stop the replayed game too. This could get interesting.
Your man that used to help Rory's Stories is going to be losing it altogether if they ruin his Sunday viewing again

tiempo

Why don't the MU and Liverpool fans just buy the clubs and implement the 50+1 German style model they seem to yearn for, enough of the white noise, get on with it already

And as for the weekend pitch invasion, there should be arrests and prosecutions, absolute sc**bag antics from the so called "fans"

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: tiempo on May 04, 2021, 11:56:10 AM
Why don't the MU and Liverpool fans just buy the clubs and implement the 50+1 German style model they seem to yearn for, enough of the white noise, get on with it already

And as for the weekend pitch invasion, there should be arrests and prosecutions, absolute sc**bag antics from the so called "fans"

They can't because the Glazers won't sell any shares with voting rights. Simple

tiempo

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on May 04, 2021, 12:01:39 PM
Quote from: tiempo on May 04, 2021, 11:56:10 AM

They can't because the Glazers won't sell any shares with voting rights. Simple

Right, so the Galzers own the business fair and square and its their prerogative to manage as they see fit, struggling to see what the issue is