Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on August 03, 2015, 10:55:35 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 03, 2015, 10:46:51 PM
Quote from: Two Hands FFS on August 03, 2015, 10:42:49 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 03, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
What's the thoughts on Micky Glover?
Obviously done a good job with Slaughtneil. Don't know too much about him but heard decent reports. Could be an option.

All well & good appointing an Antrim man but there isn't too many options unfortunately.
well what's the point in dumping more cash into a name or a lad from the south. we've had more than enough of them.   When jingo has been the best manger since Wee Joe.  Give it to someone within our own county and see what he can do.  Like I said.  Don't think there's a better time to be getting it.
I'd prefer an Antrim man but he has to be the right man for the job.
who?   
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Sleeping giant on August 03, 2015, 11:02:01 PM
Obviously done a good job with Slaughtneil. Don't know too much about him but heard decent reports. Could be an option.

All well & good appointing an Antrim man but there isn't too many options unfortunately.
well what's the point in dumping more cash into a name or a lad from the south. we've had more than enough of them.   When jingo has been the best manger since Wee Joe.  Give it to someone within our own county and see what he can do.  Like I said.  Don't think there's a better time to be getting it.
who?
I honestly don't know lol. But definitely not Johnston. It really depends who is interested.

Milltown Row2

who?

St Pauls mam Glover?? Didn't realise he was taking teams
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bonamargy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 03, 2015, 11:52:56 PM

who?

St Pauls mam Glover?? Didn't realise he was taking teams

He was Slaughtneil manager the last couple of years and did well with them. As far as I know he is now a full time coach with Ulster hurling and was assistant manager of Antrim minors this year as well. Would certainly be a contender for the Antrim managers position (there are not too many candidates)

cfclg

To be totally honest it doesn't matter who this person is. As long as players from all clubs in the county row in behind him and give 100% to the cause. End all this inter club rivalry crap once and for all. When you train with the county and pull on the saffron jersey all that other crap goes to the side, simple as.

The one point I would make is that the next appointment must be an Antrim man, we don't need any outsiders. In the past we may have benefitted from someone with southern tactics and coaching skills but all our top men here have experience of that now, give them a chance.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Johnston is a def no for me. He made an mess of his own club with a great young team. Off the pitch a character and a nice man to talk to, on the side line hes likes something not wise.

Dont know if PJ is the man either, hes very comfortable in his own club where hes well looked after, would he get the same results with a dysfunctional county set up?

All i can say is there will be people with their own personal agendas wanting the job who have been circling like vultures but at not necessarily the best for the position.

God help anyone who takes it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Leyland

So who would be the contenders from within Antrim - struggling to think of genuine ones.

Sambo - no chance of him wanting it
Woody - see above
Gregory O Kane - possible option - would he want it?
Michael Johnson - probably would want it but!!
PJ O Mullan - def a serious option with correct men.
Gary O Kane -
Shane Elliot - was along with Kevin Ryan but def an option. Great coach
Michael McShane - long shot but with Slaughtneil at min
Michael Glover - Antrim man good record with Slaughtneil
Skinner Mcallister - great record with Cushendall

Who else??

My bet at min would be PJ - has the track record - along with Shane Elliot maybe the way to move forward

johnneycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 04, 2015, 09:08:15 AM
Johnston is a def no for me. He made an mess of his own club with a great young team. Off the pitch a character and a nice man to talk to, on the side line hes likes something not wise.

Dont know if PJ is the man either, hes very comfortable in his own club where hes well looked after, would he get the same results with a dysfunctional county set up?

All i can say is there will be people with their own personal agendas wanting the job who have been circling like vultures but at not necessarily the best for the position.

You could do far worse than Ger Rogan, thought he knew his shit when involved with him and can keep his cool along the line.

Milltown Row2

its all about the package for me, a great coach who can vary it but ensure that the drills are in line with the style of play that Antrim need to be playing, a strength and conditioning coach who can assess the needs of every player individually and be able to monitor the progress of each player (every player has different needs and abilities physically) even the stick and gear man has an important job and needs to carry it out professionally, you only need to see the fiasco's the footballers have had in the past... all of these people make the job of managing the senior team a lot easier.. he can worry about tactics, game plans, man management of team, dealing with the media..

Its hard enough being a manager never mind doing all the other crap.... Thankless task as the snipers are never too far away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2015, 10:24:19 AM
its all about the package for me, a great coach who can vary it but ensure that the drills are in line with the style of play that Antrim need to be playing, a strength and conditioning coach who can assess the needs of every player individually and be able to monitor the progress of each player (every player has different needs and abilities physically) even the stick and gear man has an important job and needs to carry it out professionally, you only need to see the fiasco's the footballers have had in the past... all of these people make the job of managing the senior team a lot easier.. he can worry about tactics, game plans, man management of team, dealing with the media..

Its hard enough being a manager never mind doing all the other crap.... Thankless task as the snipers are never too far away

Has Wee Joe vacated that role as well?

Na Glinntí Glasa

anyone who has publicly criticized the board and the current set up wont be in with a shout. I mean would you hire someone who has criticized you and ran you down?

It will be someone who has sat silently biding their time or an unknown we never all thought of.

Im betting it will be outside the county that they will go. Anyone whos involved in the game here knows the crap that goes on behind the scene and what a mess our county is. What in under god when knowing all of that would you want the job for then?
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

No matter who gets it we need our 25/30 best players on the panel and everybody weighing in behind the new management team. Inter club rivalries are all well and good but we all should want Antrim competing at a high level.

I think if we are staying within the county then PJ would be as good a man as any if he gets the correct back room team with him. Maybe PJ & Shane Elliot?

We need people in charge who have Antrim at heart and would get respect from every club, North & South of Dunsilly.

getevennotcross

Quote from: shoebox on August 04, 2015, 12:54:10 PM
I see the Intermediate Championship kicks off this weekend.

You'd have to expect Gort na mona to dispose of St Enda's but I think that one will be closer than what people think.

Carey v Tir na nog is another one I'd expect to be a lot closer and will even throw it out there that Tir na nog might cause a shock.

Glenravel and Armoy I can't see being close and Armoy should advance there.

Glenariffe and Cloughmills is the pick of the round though and should be a good game that could go either way. Ossians should win though.
Stay with the thread man, we are talking about our new county manager here for goodness sake, we really cant afford to be caught up on insignificance of the Intermediate championship just now.

With so many disparate views on who should be the next manager, one thing for sure, whoever is appointed will not be to the liking or satisfaction on this discussion boards contributors.  Another thing also is the need for a committed buy in from our best players, regardless of their past, their reputations or which club they represent.  Without a 100% commitment from the players, we are going nowhere!

Certainly we have all had are snipes and voiced our displeasure at the though of the appointment of key individuals, some of the names suggested I would not have about the place.  The predicament we are in now has been a perpetual cycle, its nothing new to us and are hurling woes (even football for that matter) are not going to end even in the short term by securing a big named messiah alone.  Our problem in Antrim hurling needs a strategic, long term, realistic and achievable framework.  Too many development plans in the past have continuously failed to be resourced, implemented, evaluated.  Time to stop kidding ourselves, start being honest and get serious.  No matter who would grasp such a poison chalice presently, they are doomed to failure unless radical change and major buy in takes place.

getevennotcross

Quote from: Dunloy realist on August 04, 2015, 09:08:15 AM

+ 1  Totally agree, we need to seriously avoid the opportunists and those with major personal egos.

Appoint someone with a real plan, one who can command respect, who wont sing to the tune of the CB, who will stand up and make demands of both CB and players and at the same time, provide the rite opportunities for players to express themselves and perform to their full potential, simples eh!  (Well, we can only dream of utopia.)

Na Glinntí Glasa

whoever gets it needs to sit down all the players and get this bitterness and bitching sorted out. I have to be honest here but this continious crap between Lgiel and Cdall has to come to an end or the county team will never go forward.

I dont care who started it or said what or has done what the truth of the matter is that all of that is killing the team. Its not the clubs fault directly, rather its individuals actions that are the problem here. It needs nipped in the bud asap.

Now im neither anti cdall or lgiel, or blame one or the other and  i have a respect for both clubs/players/supporters but until that nonsense is sorted nothing or no one will be able to move us forward while its there simmering away.

Whoever gets the job has to have a long term plan in terms of youth development and keeping an eye on their progress esp the minors. We cannot afford to lose good players and we have plenty of them in that minor team in Keelan Molly, James Mcnaughton, Christy McNaughton etc etc.

hurl like f**k boi!