Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: FermGael on July 05, 2022, 11:03:21 AM
Jesus lads it's a bit early for this chat.

Tyrone club football is a very competitive standard.
Would be about 10 clubs in Tyrone with realistic ambitions of winning the Tyrone county title .
With the exception of Errigal, who had the greatest footballer of the last 25 years plus an outstanding manager , nobody has been up to the the top tier in Ulster .

I have heard various excuses over the years .
You use  Fermanagh , Down and Armagh.
That Cross team would have won Tyrone no bother .
Maybe not that amount but they still would have gotten 6 in a row .
Derrygonnelly had been beaten the previous year and were very very lucky to win Fermanagh as Edenery should have beat them in the quarter final . Kilcoo won 6 or 7 Down titles and were no where close to winning Ulster until they brought Moran in

Recently Slaughtneil won Ulster clubs after winning I believe one county championship previously.
Gweedore in Donegal also won an ulster club with out winning previous county titles or competing consistently at that level .

Tyrone football is good competitive football.
Issue is that the standard is below the top tier in Ulster .

Non of the current Fermanagh senior clubs would get close to winning the O'Neil cup

square_ball

I think this is it in a nutshell. I like that we have a competitive championship where we don't know the winner from one year to the next. Unfortunately the proof is in the pudding - our senior club champions haven't produced the goods in Ulster for 20 years now and you can use every excuse under the sun but that's just the reality.

Derrygonnelly have defeated Trillick and Dromore in the Ulster Club in 2019 and 2021 so they'd have as good a chance as any of winning a Tyrone championship.

Under Lights

I think that the standard is well down and I also think the interest in well behind where it was pre pandemic levels. Lot of people not bothering with it be it playing or even going to league games. I know this will be different come championship time when attendances high, plus a few one off fixtures pulled big numbers but overall i would say the interest has wained.

marty34

Quote from: square_ball on July 05, 2022, 12:31:51 PM

I think this is it in a nutshell. I like that we have a competitive championship where we don't know the winner from one year to the next. Unfortunately the proof is in the pudding - our senior club champions haven't produced the goods in Ulster for 20 years now and you can use every excuse under the sun but that's just the reality.

Derrygonnelly have defeated Trillick and Dromore in the Ulster Club in 2019 and 2021 so they'd have as good a chance as any of winning a Tyrone championship.

Bit early for this arguement!

square_ball

Quote from: marty34 on July 05, 2022, 01:28:12 PM
Quote from: square_ball on July 05, 2022, 12:31:51 PM

Bit early for this arguement!

Agreed but if there's 3 certainties in life its taxes, death and a debate about Tyrone clubs in the Ulster club on GAA Board every year!

Goals_Will_Come

There is little or no doubt the best thing the CCC have done in recent times has been the move to Friday evening games.

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on July 06, 2022, 12:58:19 PM
There is little or no doubt the best thing the CCC have done in recent times has been the move to Friday evening games.

Agreed 100%.

I was sitting at a wedding on a Saturday a few weeks ago watching everyone enjoy themselves and I thought to myself that for years there would have been a large portion of the attendees not drinking, watching what they eat and leaving early for the sake of a league game the next day. Madness when you look back on it.

Eire90

is tyrone among only a few counties that do straight knockout as championship. I  think that is best way as counties already have leagues for multigame formats  some counties have questionable formats imo i was looking at Derry's format and all teams in the group stage qualify for the knockout stage i know they are playing for seeding but there must be a lack of suspense and  jeopardy in the group stage.

Tyrone2021

Quote from: Eire90 on July 09, 2022, 05:57:39 PM
is tyrone among only a few counties that do straight knockout as championship. I  think that is best way as counties already have leagues for multigame formats  some counties have questionable formats imo i was looking at Derry's format and all teams in the group stage qualify for the knockout stage i know they are playing for seeding but there must be a lack of suspense and  jeopardy in the group stage.

Due to the format of the championship in Derry, the league is rendered useless. Relegation is decided through the championship group stage

Under Lights

Good few reserve games conceded on Friday evening past.

marty34

Quote from: Under Lights on July 18, 2022, 08:43:19 AM

Maybe holidays?

Onthe40

load of u15 games conceded too I see.. or one sided scorelines.. youth fixtures committee need to wise up, starting the league on the biggest holiday period of the year.. pekin joke

WT4E

Quote from: marty34 on July 18, 2022, 09:17:50 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on July 18, 2022, 08:43:19 AM

Maybe holidays?

Also Reserve championship on the Sunday maybe teams didn't feel like they should field in both?

bogball88

Senior and reserve fixtures still being played on a Friday night-will this continue for the forseeable or when will light determine that it will have to change?

Under Lights

Confirmed that the 2023 season will be three divisions as is. Top position in league wins league and is promoted. Championship winner is promoted. Bottom two teams are relegated. No playoffs.