The Official Derry City FC thread

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 19, 2009, 11:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Great result last week, any board members for the Brandywell tomorrow night for the return leg?

Main Street

Bizzarre story on RTE sports

Derry to benefit from visa controversy

Four Skonto Riga  players have been refused visas by the British Embassy

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0722/derrycity_skontoriga.html

A bit of irony there somewhere.

Tommy Tight Lips

hopefully derry get a big result 2nite,need it even more so financially than for another cup run for the suporters,i hear the finances aint so good.saw 2nd half of the bohs game on sunday,derry were very poor in the final 3rd,morrow,farren and stewart created next to nothing.hard luck on bohs last nite!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magickingdom

great to see derry and pats go thro but poor bohs last night, 4 minutes away. what a sickner

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magickingdom on July 23, 2009, 09:46:12 PM
great to see derry and pats go thro but poor bohs last night, 4 minutes away. what a sickner

I blame the FAI for the Boh's result. Silly making them play Sunday night and then Europe on the Weds. Should've let the teams in European comp have a week off.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

TacadoirArdMhacha

CSKA Sofia next up for the candystripes. Might try and head up to game against Cork on SUnday night now. Great result tonight - superb boost and some much needed finance.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Poor poor result last night. 4 defeats in a row in the league now. Could have done with the 3 points - was a real opportunity to leapfrog Cork again who lost to Bohs.

Was at the Rovers game last week, actually played reasonably and unlucky not to get a point.

town lad

When is next  club saving match going to be? Possible opponents,Institute(No Support) Linfield( Maybe not, Sure they are all bigots).Celtic Reserves. (Wee can't try that one again). Real Madrid , Any chance John? I have just found the answer, The next World Champions. I hope its not England. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

Looks like the match tonight could be City's last in their current guise or division. Seems as thought he FAi will at least relegate the club and there's a good chance they'll go out of business altogether which would mean any new club would start in the A league next year. Sad times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1106/1224258194861.html

Doogie Browser

Sad alright but a damning indictment on the way the club was run in recent times, even with the McGinn and McCourt money they are going bust.  As a club they have been bailed out too many times, relying on John Hume to get teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid over to play.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM
Sad alright but a damning indictment on the way the club was run in recent times, even with the McGinn and McCourt money they are going bust.  As a club they have been bailed out too many times, relying on John Hume to get teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid over to play.

Well its only happened once before but I suppose two times is two too many. Another harsh lesson for an irish soccer team - you simply have to live within your means.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 06, 2009, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM

Well its only happened once before but I suppose two times is two too many. Another harsh lesson for an irish soccer team - you simply have to live within your means.
Exactly TAM, Derry probably had a better chance than most beacuse of their links and connections but there are a lot of rumours about this and I think more will come out.   They had to get at least 350k for both McCourt & McGinn yet 12 months later are going bust, something is not right.

Main Street

£300k doesn't look insanely high but you probably don't have anything to sell.
The Journal is speculating that even a £1m gift would not be enough

Can Derry not just fold/bankrupt, start afresh in Div 3, raise the club again on sounder merits.
Must had some imaginative bookkeeping to get a license these past few years.