Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on February 10, 2016, 01:20:45 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2016, 08:51:57 PM
Who was Ruairi Og ?
I couldn't find it but i sent out a couple of texts hopefully have an answer soon.

What a result for Cushendall! I never seen an Antrim team do that since Dunloy beat Glenmore. Its important for Cushendall not to get complacent and start focusing and training for the final. Every move should be well measured, this could possibly be a once in a life time opportunity. They are probably just going to have to live like professionals from now to the final or at least the best they can. Dose anyone think it would be a good idea to play a few matches on an all weather surface because it would be more like Croke Park? They seemed well coached and I like the way they clog up the defense like Tyrone would do. It leaves more room for the full forward line as long as they stay deep. Funny how hurling is going its like a possession game from the puck outs.
mustn't have watched much hurling in 2012  :o ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Quote from: Sleeping giant on February 10, 2016, 02:19:09 AM
Who was Ruairi Og ?
I couldn't find it but i sent out a couple of texts hopefully have an answer soon.

What a result for Cushendall! I never seen an Antrim team do that since Dunloy beat Glenmore. Its important for Cushendall not to get complacent and start focusing and training for the final. Every move should be well measured, this could possibly be a once in a life time opportunity. They are probably just going to have to live like professionals from now to the final or at least the best they can. Dose anyone think it would be a good idea to play a few matches on an all weather surface because it would be more like Croke Park? They seemed well coached and I like the way they clog up the defense like Tyrone would do. It leaves more room for the full forward line as long as they stay deep. Funny how hurling is going its like a possession game from the puck outs.

I was on about the emphatic win, by such a huge scoring margin. Yip, I was watching you boys in 2012 I was very proud of you. Any team with such a serious scoring machine in the forward line like Liam Watson will always have a great chance.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2016, 11:27:40 PM
Would you rather that struggling clubs amalgamated and the sanctions shelved?

No, but let a son go to a club or a father make inquires without these glory chasing mentors/coaches .... for a mentor to say the words, come and play for a better club, or you'll win things with us, is a bit off, its smacks of desperation to win things. But that's the problem with bigger clubs in Belfast, I've seen it in my club in the past from certain, I'm not even going to say coaches but clubmen, who feel that this sort of thing is alright!!! Grrrrrrrr
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Who was Ruairi Og ?

Use never hammered anyone in 2012, sure use beat the best teams about  ;D

or are you saying some of them were 'poor' like Sarsfields were lol  8)
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Sorry if I'm missing something on the transfer / sanction / amalgamation debate but I see it very simply - here goes:

Amalgamation - more than one club with few numbers come together under one "holding / temporary" club to secure games for all of them. Systems based on whole clubs in same situation or geographically close clubs coming to agreements.

Sanction - a lesser number of players arrangement rather than whole clubs. If a players faces the prospect of no games due to his club not fielding in that code/age group, then he can play for another club with the agreement of all parties.

Generally sanction apply to smaller numbers of people than amalgamations.
Both these systems are to be encouraged, because the alternative is young fellas missing out on games - and ultimately being lost to our sport.

Personally I prefer sanctions.
The amalgamations have been at times troublesome (particularly in Belfast) in terms of cohesions and a sense of identity - this has manifested itself to discipline problems on the pitch.
In the sanction route, the players have a greater sense of one unified approach and belonging - so less issues arise. The player has agreed the sanction - whereas amalgamation may be the only option.

I've said before I think sanctions should be permissible right up to senior (as they are down below) so that nobody is lost to our games - or for that matter pushed towards a transfer!

Finally then transfers.
Some have good reasons and are permissible (moving house, irreconcilable differences, bullying at underage etc - whatever - we all know).
Glory hunting is of course not one of those reasons. Transfers should not be permitted where this is the motivation, and nobody from the "stronger" club should encourage it.

So what I don't get his the confusion in this case?

If player X we are talking about, is in a club where they field at his code and age - then there is no question of a sanction or amalgamation. It's a non-issue.
If his parent club do not field a team - then it is entirely correct for his club to seek amalgamation - or for another club to sanction him. It should be encouraged rather than the young fella lost to the sport. When his own club fields a team again - he returns.

So which is it?
Why the confusion on this player X?

Na Glinntí Glasa

If a kid has no club a club can approach them to come and join them.

if a kid has a club but only one code another club can approach them to offer them the code thats no available from his parent club.

If a kid has a club that offers both no other club should approach them to come and join them.

Its that simple. For a club to effectively 'poach' a good player to come to their club or speak to their parents about it is wrong. So wrong.

amalgamations have their merits esp in an area where some clubs struggle for numbers e.g Cushendun, Carey, Cloughmills etc but have a senior team of their own. The long term plan should be to attract non GAA familes to the club and their kids to join at an early age for the future but thats easier wrote down here than done.
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: hardstation on February 10, 2016, 10:03:50 AM
I think milltown's point is that other clubs should not be approaching players who are available to sanction but that the player himself or his parents should just decide what they want to do without persuasion.
I don't see a big problem with it myself. Effectively it's like a club approaching a kid who has no club.

OK right so I understand the point now MR2!
Still disagree however.
If a player is available for sanction - he shouldn't at that young age be running around between club looking for a game (possibly with parents who have no interest in him let alone the GAA).
Much better to have someone offer his a game and make him feel wanted!

But if I read between the lines - I agree this shouldn't extend to poaching in terms of getting any such players to leave his parent club "glory-hunting".

Two Hands FFS

So after all the huge build up to the weekend....anyone at the conference?

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 10, 2016, 09:31:58 AM
Who was Ruairi Og ?

I had said I wasn't gonna bother talking about this.  As your either a complete clown. Or the fishing rod is out.   That Galway team is as poor a team I've seen at that stage in my time hurling,  that's not taking away from the Dall.  They needed beating. And we're beat out the gate!!!   Again I'll say fair f**king play to them.  Am not getting into this who we beat and who we didn't.  You can only beat who's in it.    Use didn't get much for the GREAT teams use beat. :o   Now they play that poor team we beat in the 2012 semi.  So let's see if they can be as lucky as us.      Lol. I remember on here leading up to the game.   They were a savage outfit and we'd need "a tank to stop breen". Afterwards. They were a bad team.   Can't win!!!!   

Seamroga in exile

Agh now SG. Sure do you not know the easiest all ireland's ever won were in '83 and '12. I was told three times in the semi (by a Dunloy man  ::)  ) against np that " that's yous bate now"  lol.

I hope Cushendall win it. Maybe it'll take that for people to see just what it takes to win it. No matter what team is front of you.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

imtommygunn

NP are a very good team. That really was Loughgiel's "final".

I think Cushendall will really have to be on their game as NP have several top quality forwards who will be hard watched but it's a one off game so you never know. Downes and Dowling is it? are top drawer and there are a few other boys who are none too shabby either. It's a tough game but it's a final.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sleeping giant on February 10, 2016, 04:20:24 PM
Who was Ruairi Og ?

I had said I wasn't gonna bother talking about this.  As your either a complete clown. Or the fishing rod is out.   That Galway team is as poor a team I've seen at that stage in my time hurling,  that's not taking away from the Dall.  They needed beating. And we're beat out the gate!!!   Again I'll say fair f**king play to them.  Am not getting into this who we beat and who we didn't.  You can only beat who's in it.    Use didn't get much for the GREAT teams use beat. :o   Now they play that poor team we beat in the 2012 semi.  So let's see if they can be as lucky as us.      Lol. I remember on here leading up to the game.   They were a savage outfit and we'd need "a tank to stop breen". Afterwards. They were a bad team.   Can't win!!!!

I was at the Np loughgiel semi which went to extra time with Loughgiel holding on to the draw at fulltime.... Loughgiel came out and blew them away.... So whoever said NP was poor doesn't know a lot
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Who was Ruairi Og ?

:o jaysus lad did you fall out of the bed and down the stairs this morning. Theres me thinking you could take a bit of banter.
hurl like f**k boi!

Sleeping giant

Quote from: Dunloy realist on February 10, 2016, 05:11:45 PM
Who was Ruairi Og ?

:o jaysus lad did you fall out of the bed and down the stairs this morning. Theres me thinking you could take a bit of banter.
all is well and good.  It's the banter page.  But Jesus man.  Tell me that wasn't a poor Galway team. That's nothing to do with who we played or who you played. That's just the way it is.  There's no doubt in my mind no matter who won ulster this year.  They'd be sitting in the final.  Again.  Take nothing away from the Dall men.  The early goal steadied them and never looked in doubt.   I see them winning a tight game.  For me Na P backs are questionable.  There forwards are good.  But Dall backs are everyone to a man lethal!!!!   

north_antrim_hound

And he's off and running LOL
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets