Laid Off?

Started by Mayo4Sam, October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

I have been laid off for 2 weeks now! I had work for 4 days from another crowd but they told me then that there was not enough work! I am going crazy here. Added pressure is the fact that I have 3 small kids as well. Thank God my wife is working  though. I don't have the option of going abroad to be honest! I am seriously contemplating taking the original company to an employment tribunal. There is another person doing what I was doing, she is on less money than I was! Makes my blood boil! Have to remain optimistic though,  otherwise all hell breaks out!

pintsofguinness

Edit: Sorry, i qouted the wrong thing:
Meant to quote
QuoteI am seriously contemplating taking the original company to an employment tribunal.
out of interest, on what grounds?

My woman's out of work as she left her job to move with me though at least we dont have the added worry of kids.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mentalman

Quote from: aroundincircles on November 07, 2008, 06:30:03 PM
I am in the furniture business myself. self employed too made 41 calls in person this week to shops i supply,got 4 order 23 just where honest and said they cant afford to buy and 14 closing down. I have let all my staff go bank wont help me have mortgage and 4 kids worried f**king sick i can tell you. But am not starving is the main thing i suppose.

My best friend is in a similar situation, a thriving business reduced to nothing, left with bad debts and a couple of houses bought  speculatively, three kids - don't know how he does it. A stronger man than me no doubt.

Quote from: cicfada on November 07, 2008, 06:40:11 PM
I have been laid off for 2 weeks now! I had work for 4 days from another crowd but they told me then that there was not enough work! I am going crazy here. Added pressure is the fact that I have 3 small kids as well. Thank God my wife is working  though. I don't have the option of going abroad to be honest! I am seriously contemplating taking the original company to an employment tribunal. There is another person doing what I was doing, she is on less money than I was! Makes my blood boil! Have to remain optimistic though,  otherwise all hell breaks out!

That's rough man. Just don't feck the whole job up though, ended up costing me a 7+ year relationship into the bargain. Back working since, earning more money than ever, but I'll never be able to replace that. I guess, and it's hard to do it at the time, it's all about keeping things in perspective and knowing what's truely valuable.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

aroundincircles

How can the government bail out banks and leave familys with 2,3, or 4 kids with nothing on the verge of banlruptcy i  cant see any light at all in this case. Not on my own all the  same is still no consulation. Feel sorry for the kids, will be a miserable christmas unless i can sell loads between now and then which is possible but unlikely.

cicfada

I believe you can't be let go and replaced by someone on less wages. the job still exists so I should have not be let go! I still need to confirm this though!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cicfada on November 07, 2008, 07:01:49 PM
I believe you can't be let go and replaced by someone on less wages. the job still exists so I should have not be let go! I still need to confirm this though!
Oh.  Sounds like you might be on to something there alright.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

leenie

i have just moved home because of the down turn of things.... i never thought 'di be back living with parents but its a big help... thankfully i have just myself to worry about but my heart goes out to those with families.... I'd say there will have to be a lot of understanding children this christmas and have to ask santa for a surprise.... though i do know families that in the past few years presents and money were no object but now they are fretting but their children expect the best and know no different!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

aroundincircles

My kids are too young to understand will not be too bad, Would hate to have teenagers,

ONeill

To be honest, I've so much money I don't know what to do with it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2008, 07:34:30 PM
To be honest, I've so much money I don't know what to do with it.

Testing Accessibility

milltown row

you can buy some Poppy's O'Neill and wear them into thon school ya work at ;)

ONeill

Quote from: milltown row on November 07, 2008, 07:38:14 PM

Well, with an apostrophe like thon, don't be looking for a job with us!

Ba-Boom!!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

milltown row

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2008, 07:40:33 PM
Quote from: milltown row on November 07, 2008, 07:38:14 PM

Well, with an apostrophe like thon, don't be looking for a job with us!

Ba-Boom!!

thanks but i'd rather have my eyes poked out than work in your school, classy

aroundincircles

Oneill you are in a luck position i can tell you.

MaroonAndWhite

Theres alot of us in the same boat here it seems.....i work in the financial services sector and have been told I have til the end of the month at best. Mortgage on my own, probable negative equity. And job prospects not hectic....no one hiring. Needless to say, lifes been better.

I was walking down O'Connell Steet yesterday on way to a recruitment consultants office when i looked at the main thoroughfare in the country and saw something that made me realise why the country is in the shits.....a 60ft high artificial xmas tree. A French one. Worth €350,000. Turned down the free one offered by the Norwegian Embassy as a token of their thanks. So the country is in the financial shits with unemployment rising at rates not seen in 20 years and we are getting the frogs to make and erect a €350000 montrosity. A "beacon of hope amid the recession" they call it.......I call it a kick in the teeth for everyone that is struggling because we have a shower of clowns in charge of the country.

€350k would vaccinate alot of young girls against cervical cancer.........