Laid Off?

Started by Mayo4Sam, October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: bingobus on October 24, 2008, 12:29:52 PM
In the office we are prob in unusual situation at present, small accountancy firm with growing client mix across a range of sectors. At minute and for last 6 months we have taken on new cleints (lot of once off tax stuff such as estates, CGT,etc) as well as the usual new business. We can't get any new staff with any experience.

Have advertised for qualified or near qualified staff and never got any replies. Not a one. Maybe people aren't willing to take the leap in the current climate and move job.

DoireNaRaithe would be your man.

David McKeown

Legal industry and furniture have also been badly hit by the down turn in the housing market.  You dont realise until it starts happening what kind of a knock on effect that sort of thing can have.  Was listening to five live one day recently and they were saying the chocolate is sky rocketing at the minute and thorntons profits are up over 105% in the last year.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thebandit

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 07, 2008, 04:25:57 PM
How's everyone getting on?
You get sorted mayo4sam?

Got bad news this morning on the work front, unless there's a miracle I'll be out of work by Christmas  :-\
Just gutted.

You'd be gutted surely..... what do you work as?

milltown row

Quote from: thebandit on November 07, 2008, 05:05:31 PM
You get sorted mayo4sam?

Got bad news this morning on the work front, unless there's a miracle I'll be out of work by Christmas  :-\
Just gutted.

selling poopy's ;D ;D no buisness for it in England, booming over here though around sept through to christmas

Mentalman

You get sorted mayo4sam?

Just gutted.

Sorry to hear it man, it's a sorry blow. Same happened to me a few Christmas' back, literally two weeks before hand. Have to say it was a life altering event, and not in a good way. Keep your head together, keep yourself busy, and work that friends network, for support and also for work leads.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

lynchbhoy

Quote from: David McKeown on November 07, 2008, 05:00:16 PM
Legal industry and furniture have also been badly hit by the down turn in the housing market.  You dont realise until it starts happening what kind of a knock on effect that sort of thing can have.  Was listening to five live one day recently and they were saying the chocolate is sky rocketing at the minute and thorntons profits are up over 105% in the last year.
legal industry as in the conveyencing solicitors
however, sadly, the rest of the legal business has never been busier !

lynchbhoy

You get sorted mayo4sam?

Just gutted.
Sorry tohear that pints
hope it works out for you , and for the rest of the lads who are laid off...

cornerback

Quote from: milltown row on November 07, 2008, 05:12:54 PM
Quote from: thebandit on November 07, 2008, 05:05:31 PM
You get sorted mayo4sam?

Just gutted.

selling poopy's ;D ;D no buisness for it in England, booming over here though around sept through to christmas

Poopy's???  Wouldn't have thought there was much money in that anywhere...  :P

leenie

sorry to hear that pints.....
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Croí na hÉireann

Good mate of mine got laid off recently and his wedding is tomorrow, great timing eh... Luckily the family business is doing well and they were asking him to come on board so at least he's got something to keep the banks at bay for a while anyway. Don't envy anyone looking for a job in this climate, best of luck lads...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

pintsofguinness

thanks everyone.  (very good on the poppies milltown)

life has a habit of knocking you down when you think things are going well. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

milltown row

you'll be grand, i've changed that many jobs over the years i've forgotten some of the jobs i've done in the past. i've been very lucky . was paid off twice, both times in Harland and Wolff!! i'm in a great job now, but i always look for new jobs and different types of work for a challenge.

brokencrossbar1

That's rough pints.  What direction are you going to head?  Will you come homewards at all?

It is seriously getting tough.  I was talking to a friend who is in the finance industry and he and has partner have had a massive downturn in mortgage applicants, so much so they have had to let 3 people go.  He was saying that he was talking to a bank manager last week.  One of the workers in this bank was belly aching as she hadn't received any increase in wages in her annual review.  She did get a slightly larger performance bonus promise though.  He turned round to her and said, "How much were you paid last month?" and she told him, and he asked how much will you get next month? and she told him.  he told her that he had jsut signed papers for a local contractor who had just taken a bridging loan out against his property to cover his employees wages until they could see christmas out and then he was going to have to let half go.  He has work, but no cash flow as no one is paying and as a result he has to lay off men.  She pulled her horns in very fast.

aroundincircles

I am in the furniture business myself. self employed too made 41 calls in person this week to shops i supply,got 4 order 23 just where honest and said they cant afford to buy and 14 closing down. I have let all my staff go bank wont help me have mortgage and 4 kids worried f**king sick i can tell you. But am not starving is the main thing i suppose.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThat's rough pints.  What direction are you going to head?  Will you come homewards at all?
I don't know BC, just settled here and the rug pulled out from under my feet. If I go home it'll be out of necessity and not choice, I'd go further afield if there was work, not much point if there's not though.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?