Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2016, 11:01:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2016, 10:17:16 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 18, 2016, 09:34:37 PM
Hard to take the IFA seriously about inclusively etc when they have no notion of changing flag/anthem. The NI team is a large component of the pul identity so obviously the majority of fans would oppose any such moves. Personally I'd go to a game alright and stand for the anthem as a basic show of respect, even though it makes me cringe if anything. Not half as much at that lot with the Lambeg drum  singing about German bombers, didn't realise ulster played such a big role in raf ww2 battles??

Belfast was bombed big time during the war... The Falls took a major hit
How many times? Dublin was bombed as well.

There were 900 killed in one night at Easter 1941 in Belfast and entire districts were removed, especially up towards the Antrim road. This was when Dev sent the fire engines.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: AQMP on June 21, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36584934

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has said he is looking forward to attending his first Northern Ireland football match when the team take on Germany in Euro 2016 on Tuesday.  He will be in France to watch the Northern Ireland game and the Republic of Ireland play Italy on Wednesday.  Northern Ireland could qualify for the next round with a draw.  Mr McGuinness said it was "an opportunity to reach out the hand of friendship".  He told Good Morning Ulster that while he did not know the words to fan-favourite chant 'Will Grigg's On Fire', he was confident of getting a good response from Northern Ireland fans.  "I just met a large group of fans here at the airport from the Northern Ireland fans club, and they were all looking photographs," he said.  "So, if that's a barometer of where people's thoughts are at, it should be grand."  "I do believe that sport has a unifying effect," he added.  "The reports back from France have clearly shown that the fans of both Irish teams have been very, very well appreciated and well received.  "Also the fact that they have come together whenever they meet each other on the street, it's very heartwarming that people appreciate how unifying sport can be for all of us."  Mr McGuinness also said that while he had been to Windsor Park for football matches he had never seen Northern Ireland.  "As a very keen sports fan and soccer fan, I am looking forward to these games.  "It's tantalising given Michael O'Neill's team are playing against Germany, the world champions, and Italy, who were described as no-hopers before the competition, have now developed into one of the favourites."

Someone needs to ask him which team is his favourite.  Because if results fall certain ways it could be between the two of them to go through.

Deputy First Minister for one team, Presidential candidate for the other...choices, Martin, choices.....

/Jim.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 21, 2016, 01:32:29 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 21, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36584934

Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has said he is looking forward to attending his first Northern Ireland football match when the team take on Germany in Euro 2016 on Tuesday.  He will be in France to watch the Northern Ireland game and the Republic of Ireland play Italy on Wednesday.  Northern Ireland could qualify for the next round with a draw.  Mr McGuinness said it was "an opportunity to reach out the hand of friendship".  He told Good Morning Ulster that while he did not know the words to fan-favourite chant 'Will Grigg's On Fire', he was confident of getting a good response from Northern Ireland fans.  "I just met a large group of fans here at the airport from the Northern Ireland fans club, and they were all looking photographs," he said.  "So, if that's a barometer of where people's thoughts are at, it should be grand."  "I do believe that sport has a unifying effect," he added.  "The reports back from France have clearly shown that the fans of both Irish teams have been very, very well appreciated and well received.  "Also the fact that they have come together whenever they meet each other on the street, it's very heartwarming that people appreciate how unifying sport can be for all of us."  Mr McGuinness also said that while he had been to Windsor Park for football matches he had never seen Northern Ireland.  "As a very keen sports fan and soccer fan, I am looking forward to these games.  "It's tantalising given Michael O'Neill's team are playing against Germany, the world champions, and Italy, who were described as no-hopers before the competition, have now developed into one of the favourites."

Someone needs to ask him which team is his favourite.  Because if results fall certain ways it could be between the two of them to go through.

Deputy First Minister for one team, Presidential candidate for the other...choices, Martin, choices.....

/Jim.
I think Martin and the Shinners are firmly OWCers now.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2016, 02:38:31 PM

He probably doesn't even know Ulster has 3 other counties.

SUFTUM!

/Jim.

passedit

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 21, 2016, 03:50:23 PM

SUFTUM!

/Jim.

My daughter was treated to several renditions of the Billy Boys on the train by their Loyal supporters on their way to the 'FANZONE'. All pissed already an especially delighted to have an obvious fenian (school uniform) to intimidate.

Hope the cnuts get bate 10
Don't Panic

NAG1

Quote from: passedit on June 21, 2016, 04:18:19 PM

SUFTUM!

/Jim.

My daughter was treated to several renditions of the Billy Boys on the train by their Loyal supporters on their way to the 'FANZONE'. All pissed already an especially delighted to have an obvious fenian (school uniform) to intimidate.

They can dress it up any way they like all nicey nicey but most of them are one pint or bottle of buckfast away from being knuckle draggers.

All the inclusion and fancy posters isnt going to change that.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: NAG1 on June 21, 2016, 04:27:28 PM

They can dress it up any way they like all nicey nicey but most of them are one pint or bottle of buckfast away from being knuckle draggers.

Most of them or some of them in fairness.

There are plenty in the Republic's support you would avoid too.  That's the soccer crowd for you.

The same lads serenading babies and fixing punctures in France would bate ten colours of shite out of you in Temple Bar of an evening.

/Jim.

Tony Baloney

SUFTUM!

/Jim.

That's a downright lie. Tonto says they don't do that sort of thing anymore. They have all been brainwashed into thinking differently.

seafoid

Kroos had 54 passes in the first half. NI had 58

laoislad

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 21, 2016, 05:48:41 PM

There are plenty in the Republic's support you would avoid too.  That's the soccer crowd for you.

The same lads serenading babies and fixing punctures in France would bate ten colours of shite out of you in Temple Bar of an evening.

/Jim.
That's the soccer crowd for you? Fcuk off would you. Im sure 99% of Irish fans out in France are also GAA fans.   
Following a certain sport doesn't make you more inclined to bate the head off someone it just means you're a p***k.
Plenty of unsavoury types follow GAA as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

Quote from: seafoid on June 21, 2016, 06:15:56 PM
Kroos had 54 passes in the first half. NI had 58

That's an unbelievable statistic. My God.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on June 20, 2016, 11:09:55 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 20, 2016, 10:56:38 AM
Quote from: general_lee on June 19, 2016, 04:09:24 PM
I've heard it said that the orange order wasn't as active during ww2 because there were so many fit men who would have been called to fight if they were seen to be out marching. I know belfast got blitzed... The emphasis seems to be on ww1 however when it comes to constantly commemorating though??

Not really relevant to soccer but in relation to WW2, state records show that Unionist Party tried and tried to get conscription brought in because of the poor recruitment rate in Northern Ireland throughout the war.  Afterwards when it appear that there were more volunteers from "Eire" than Northern Ireland so serious efforts were made to cover that up.  Robert Fisk reference these papers in "In time of War" book.

This picture from yesterday's Somme commemoration illustrates the contradiction better than anything.  Obviously this lad wanted to commemorate the Ulster and British dead of WW1 but his markings suggest he might have mixed views about WW2:

/Jim.

It's probably to remember where the original UVF got their guns from.

A Manx man with a big tool?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: laoislad on June 21, 2016, 06:20:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on June 21, 2016, 05:48:41 PM

/Jim.
That's the soccer crowd for you? Fcuk off would you. Im sure 99% of Irish fans out in France are also GAA fans.   
Following a certain sport doesn't make you more inclined to bate the head off someone it just means you're a p***k.
Plenty of unsavoury types follow GAA as well.

That's my point. Sweeping generalisations about Republic fans doesn't go down well here. But we let it slide that most OWC followers are "knuckle draggers"

/ Jim

Tonto

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 21, 2016, 06:00:05 PM

SUFTUM!

/Jim.

That's a downright lie. Tonto says they don't do that sort of thing anymore. They have all been brainwashed into thinking differently.
Sadly I never said that we didn't have some hangers on that have probably never darkened the door of Windsor Park.

If I had been posting this up 5 hours ago, I would have said entirely honestly that I genuinely didn't remember the last time (if ever) I heard Billy Boys being sung. Sadly, as I left the fanzone earlier I did hear a group of utter scumbags singing it as I was walking passed the Odyssey. I can only say, that quite bizarrely none of them were wearing NI colours and they were booed by other NI fans who started to sing Green and White Army.

On behalf of NI fans, can I say how embarrassed I am for their behaviour and how sorry I am for the ordeal suffered by anyone who had to listen to it.

snoopdog

Congrats to the north for qualifying for the last 16 an amazing feat when you only have 40 professional footballers. How that german game finished 1 nil I will never know. Mcgovern was brilliant .
Hopefully our boys will get a win tomorrow and join you in the last 16.