2008 Ulster Club Championships

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: crossfire on December 04, 2008, 12:35:39 AM
So every foul should be a red then. ::) ::)
No, but presumably the referee made the call that McEntee had committed the following:
RULE 5 - AGGRESSIVE FOULS
5.1 To strike or attempt to strike an opponent with
the head, arm, elbow, hand or knee.
PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Order offender off.
(ii) Free kick from where the foul occurred
except as provided under Exceptions of
Rule 2.2.

If not, what was the foul that would be deemed worthy of a yellow? 

Btw Conway's feigning a dive would have warranted a yellow card if the referee had seen what had happened correctly, although I still think McEntee's red was probably justified as it's irrelevant whether or not he connected.

full back

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 04, 2008, 12:46:35 AM
I still think McEntee's red was probably justified as it's irrelevant whether or not he connected.

Have you watched the incident bogball?
For the world of me I cant understand how you think Mc Entee deserved a straight red for that ???

Anyway, no excuses on Sunday now for either team

Bogball XV

Quote from: full back on December 04, 2008, 07:36:26 AM
I still think McEntee's red was probably justified as it's irrelevant whether or not he connected.

Have you watched the incident bogball?
For the world of me I cant understand how you think Mc Entee deserved a straight red for that ???

Anyway, no excuses on Sunday now for either team
only seen it online, the radio lads on sunday were adamant that it was red whether or not he connected though.  Looking at the rules, he led with the elbow, which by the letter of the law must mean "attempting to strike", his own comments afterwards didn't do him any favours either though, he basically admitted he came in with the elbow.  I also thought his comment "bad referees make bad decisions" would ensure he wouldn't play this sunday, can you imagine the repercussions if he were a soccer player saying that?
As I say, I think Conway's diving is the only reason that he will play this sunday.

SidelineKick

Btw Conway's feigning a dive would have warranted a yellow card if the referee had seen what had happened correctly, although I still think McEntee's red was probably justified as it's irrelevant whether or not he connected.

Bog I still can't see how you think it was anywhere near a red card even without Conways feigning. Maybe you should have a look at www.tg4.tv  The look on John Macs face says it all when the ref informs him he's for the line. He's in complete disbelief.

Quote from: crossfire on December 03, 2008, 09:06:12 PM
John Mac got his red card downgraded to a yellow and so he will be eligible for the replay.

I wonder how the cheat Conway feels now.??

Conway will not feel bothered either way.  The type of player he is if he got the chance he would do it again.

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on December 03, 2008, 07:08:03 PM

You have heard of "People in Glasshouses................."
What's wrong with soccer..............didn't Oisin play soccer.

TFAL that is possibly one of the most stupid posts I have seen in recent times.  What I'm saying is diving is soccer stuff, please do not try and tell me diving doesnt go on in soccer. And if you can get me some sort of evidence of Oisin rolling about a soccer pitch feigning injury please don't be afraid to post it.  Jesus what a stupid post.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

under the bar

QuoteNot at all Drumanee, Philip Jordan done the same in the 03 final, nothing happened

LOL.  Is the glint of his 3 AI medals hurting your eyes OB?

Onion Bag

Nothing to do with medals, just making a point that Conway will be safe enough as has been proved after last nights meeting, John Mac has been cleared to play after been proved innocent, the same as Jordan nothing came of his Miraculous recovery,  ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

snappiered

Any word of if the Ref has been apointed yet for replay?
Is it gona be on tg4?

SidelineKick

Not sure of ref, but live again on tg4 3:45.

Reported.

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 04, 2008, 08:52:49 AM

Is it not White from Donegal, the linesman from the original game??
In your Endo!

SidelineKick

Now you say that aye you're right someone mentioned that on an earlier post!

Reported.

StGallsGAA

Corect decision.  As an Antrim man I hope that Cross now go on and win it.  They are like sh*t to watch but play good hard football.  They would walk your face into the ground but only on the way thru, wouldn't come back for afters.   Has that fella Aherne ever got a run in the county?  Not much to his game but battle hardened that's for sure.

el_cuervo_fc

Taken from Irish News

http://www.irishnews.com/irishnews/597/5776/2008/12/4/604508_365429921065McEnteecl.html

McEntee cleared to play as red turns to yellow AIB Ulster Club Senior Football Championship
By Andy Watters
04/12/08

JOHN McEntee has been cleared to play for Crossmaglen in Sunday's Ulster Club SFC final replay against Ballinderry.

The influential half-forward had the red card he received from referee Martin Sludden for a foul on Darren McGuckian quashed at a meeting of the GAA's Central Competitions Committee (CCC) last night.

After the referee's report and video evidence of the incident in last Sunday's drawn final were reviewed, the CCC decided that the red card would be downgraded to a yellow.

McEntee's availability is a huge boost to the Armagh champions who would have struggled to replace the class and experience of the

All-Ireland winner for the Brewster Park sequel.

"Justice has been done, it's just a pity it wasn't done last Sunday," said relieved Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh as he put his players through a training session at St Oliver Plunkett Park last night.

The news of the CCC's decision was greeted with a roar of delight in the Crossmaglen clubrooms. Murtagh and his players will have been buoyed by the outcome as they prepare for their second meeting with the Derry champions.

"We had a good idea he would be available. It's a big boost for us, he's a quality player, there's no doubt about that," said Murtagh.

"We have plenty of forwards, if we didn't have him somebody else would have stood up. But you don't want to lose a quality player like John McEntee."

The news will have had the opposite effect on the Ballinderry players, who battled back from five points down to force a draw in a thrilling finish last Sunday.

"I'm sure it is a big blow to them, I don't know what their agenda was," said Murtagh.

"But we're just worried about ourselves at the minute."

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on December 04, 2008, 09:12:38 AM
Taken from Irish News

http://www.irishnews.com/irishnews/597/5776/2008/12/4/604508_365429921065McEnteecl.html

McEntee cleared to play as red turns to yellow AIB Ulster Club Senior Football Championship
By Andy Watters
04/12/08

JOHN McEntee has been cleared to play for Crossmaglen in Sunday's Ulster Club SFC final replay against Ballinderry.

The influential half-forward had the red card he received from referee Martin Sludden for a foul on Darren McGuckian quashed at a meeting of the GAA's Central Competitions Committee (CCC) last night.

After the referee's report and video evidence of the incident in last Sunday's drawn final were reviewed, the CCC decided that the red card would be downgraded to a yellow.

McEntee's availability is a huge boost to the Armagh champions who would have struggled to replace the class and experience of the

All-Ireland winner for the Brewster Park sequel.

"Justice has been done, it's just a pity it wasn't done last Sunday," said relieved Crossmaglen manager Donal Murtagh as he put his players through a training session at St Oliver Plunkett Park last night.

The news of the CCC's decision was greeted with a roar of delight in the Crossmaglen clubrooms. Murtagh and his players will have been buoyed by the outcome as they prepare for their second meeting with the Derry champions.

"We had a good idea he would be available. It's a big boost for us, he's a quality player, there's no doubt about that," said Murtagh.

"We have plenty of forwards, if we didn't have him somebody else would have stood up. But you don't want to lose a quality player like John McEntee."

The news will have had the opposite effect on the Ballinderry players, who battled back from five points down to force a draw in a thrilling finish last Sunday.

"I'm sure it is a big blow to them, I don't know what their agenda was," said Murtagh.

"But we're just worried about ourselves at the minute."

Tut tut tut, that's just lazy journalism
In your Endo!

saffron sam2

Quote from: wherefromreferee? on December 04, 2008, 08:54:42 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on December 04, 2008, 08:52:49 AM

Is it not White from Donegal, the linesman from the original game??

Even moreso than the (correct) lifting of John McEntee's ban, this appointment has turned the game irrevocably in favour of Cross. Donegal men have a long and less than glorious history of mistreating Ballinderry men. Just look at what they did to Sean Larkin.

Up the Shamrocks! Remember Drumbo!
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Onion Bag

Who? and what happened, dont recall
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!