kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean cotton

just heard that kieran mc geeney announced his retirement from intercounty football today, very sad day, he is a legend and probably the one of the best county players every, thanks for everything, and good luck to him in his retirement

ziggysego

Keiran gave a lot of good years to the GAA in Armagh. I wish him well in his retirement.
Testing Accessibility

hoopsaaa

What a super footballer. A role model. A decent understated fellow.

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stephenite

Quote from: Tyrones own on September 14, 2007, 04:28:02 AM

Where did you hear this ???

I had my doubts as well, considering it came from a first time poster, but this from the Independent today suggests there might be some truth. Unless the Independent are using this place as a source again, the fools.

McGeeney to retire

KIERAN McGEENEY may have played his last game for Armagh.

Reports emanating from the county last night claimed that he was set to retire, thus ending the inter-county career of one the best centre-backs of his era.

McGeeney has been a regular on the team since 1992 and reached the pinnacle of a brilliant career when he captained Armagh to their first All-Ireland title in 2002.

He was disappointed last week over the manner in which Paul Grimley was overlooked for the Armagh manager's job following Joe Kernan's departure.

Gabriel_Hurl

A  great player and role-model - no doubt, he's no Henry Downey though

stephenite

A fine player who captained his county to their first All Ireland.

But if it's true , I'll try now to point out that he's not dead but I've a suspicion that the hand wringing and eulogies will be too much, even for Gaaboard.com

Armagh4SamAgain

This is sad if its true its like hes been around for ever. i thout he go on and on an on. i reckin hes the most player of the last 20 odd years.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Goats Do Shave

i reckin hes the most player of the last 20 odd years also! ;D

Good luck to Geezer, he's a hero of many & he'll make a great coach. The Keano of GAA!

Rafa - Wind yer neck in!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I think Geezer's been playing at senior level since 1989 and, it's a highly impressive record to retire on, at nearly 36 years of age.

Doesn't seem right to wish him a long and happy 'retirement' because I'm sure his contributuon to Armagh county football will continue.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

magpie seanie

It had to end some time and it appears its now. A sad day for Armagh. Don't think they would have won their All-Ireland without him as a player and more importantly an influence on others.

Anyone with a brain greater than the size of a gnats would realise that the retirement of one of the most influential players of the last 15 years is an item worthy of a seperate thread.

Kentucky Blue

A fantastic servant to Armagh, Ireland, the GPA and GAA in general.

Always loved to watch him play, really wore his heart on his sleeve and gave everything for the cause. if anyone deserved an All-Ireland it was kieran. For him winning was everything and second place was nowhere.

rafasarmy, if you have nothing positive to contribute then stick to ur soccer threads.
i like liverpool as much as the next man but your achieveing nothing coming on here and giving off.

The Subbie

Quote from: rafasarmy on September 14, 2007, 08:05:53 AM
HOW COME EVERYTIME AN ARMAGH/TYRONE PLAYER FARTS OR HAS SOMETHING FOR BREAKFAST THERE HAS TO BE A NEW THREAD STARTED,COULD THIS HAVE NOT BEEN KEPT IN THE LOCAL GAA PAGES?

BUT YET WHENEVER SOMEONE STARTS A NEW SOCCER THREAD ON THE NON GAA SIDE OF THE BOARD THERE IS UPROAR AND POLLS CREATED ABOUT WHY THEY SHOULD BE ALL KEPT IN THE ONE THREAD ETC

KEEP YOUR ARMAGH/TYRONE THREADS IN YOUR'RE OWN OFFICAL PAGES NOBODY ELSE GIVES A f**k WHO YOUR'RE NEW MANAGER IS GOING TO BE OR IF ANOTHER MANAGER DECIDES TO STAY ON OR IF A PLAYER RETIRES

What a ballbag. But with a handle like that its to expected.

McGeeney will be sorely missed by Armagh and deserves all the good wishes I'm sure he will get , great player , great competitor and a great sportsman. He took a lot of stick on this board for his uncompromising appoach to training etc but no one could doubt his application to his craft.

Future Armagh manager no doubt.

el_cuervo_fc

Sad to see McGeeney leave the Armagh set up, he's been a great leader for Armagh over the years and a true role model.

Rafasarmy, how come you start spouting off about Armagh and Tyrone people starting up threads?  I didn't see you complaining when threads about Marty Clarke, James McCartan, Martin Farrelly etc were started.  You're just being a p***k >:(

oneillcup2007