kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Not the most talented player ever, the man himself reckons not even the most talented in his own family.

But his competitiveness, drive, commitment and the way he dedicated his life to football stands out as an example to all. He was the heartbeat of Armagh's best ever team.

Thanks Geezer.

imtommygunn

I think he's the most driven person I've ever seen play the game and he's about as driven a person I've ever seen.

He was a very very good footballer who made the most of what he got and I would say he was as influential on that Armagh team as any single player has ever been on any team.

I think a moment that summed him up for me was in the 2002 final when one of the O'Ses,I think, was making a burst through to get an equaliser. You could just see McGeeney put the head down - Armagh player in his road and all - sprint past the Armagh player and execute a perfect block. There are defining moments in games and to me that was the moment that Armagh won the All Ireland.

Also if he'd been a few years younger I think that Armagh would have beaten Kerry last year. He played the perfect game in the first half and had his engine allowed him I'd have no doubt he'd have done so in the second half too and led them to victory.(I know Armagh were well beat in the end but that's how much influence I think he could have had)

Bensars

I would echo those sentiments.

Not the greatest skill levels but a competitor to the end. A leader within the Armagh ranks. As the first man to lift Sam in armagh he'll have a special place in peoples thoughts.  Maybe now he'll be able to unload the burden on his shoulders and crack a smile !!

full back

All the best to Geezer.
Am pretty sure he will be a success whatever he turns his hand to

Fear ón Srath Bán

All the best to Kieran, an exemplar par extraordinaire of the great game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Balboa

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

An Laoch

The word 'sad' is being used in a lot of the posts here. I don't think it's particularly sad, it's just one of the finest players of his generation getting out while he's ahead.

I've huge respect for McGeeney, a real role model of a modern GAA player. Best wishes to him and thanks for the entertainment he's given.

I'll always remember he was one of the few - if not the only - Irish player in the last intl rules series that had the strength to push the aussies around.

spiritof91and94

He should have left after 2002.

Will Morgan Fuels be issuing a P45 tonight then?

Good day to announce it though on the All Ireland Weekend!!

Over the Bar

Probably misuse of the word sad given that he's 36, but nevertheless he'll be sorely missed. 

I've no doubts that McDonnell won't be unhappy to see the old guard such as mcgeeney,o'rourke etc drift away so he can stamp his mark on the team unchallenged.

full back

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 14, 2007, 12:01:55 PM
I've no doubts that McDonnell won't be unhappy to see the old guard such as mcgeeney,o'rourke etc drift away so he can stamp his mark on the team unchallenged.

What do you mean otb?

Over the Bar

QuoteI've no doubts that McDonnell won't be unhappy to see the old guard such as mcgeeney,o'rourke etc drift away so he can stamp his mark on the team unchallenged.

What do you mean otb?

McDonnells plans are possibly medium-long term rebuilding which would not have suited McGeeney etc, who'd probably have preferred one last shot at a 2nd Sam with Grimley using the old tried and tested methods.  For any new manager implementing change isn't easy when the most senior & influential players on the panel might not be 100% behind your plan. 

orangeman

Is his retirement official ? So far I haven't heard it.

bennydorano

It's on the BBC now, must be a bit of substance to it.

Fantastic player and leader who along with Mcgrane brought Armagh to new levels. The time is right to go, he would have been a milestone around Mcdonnell's neck as a player.