kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

i would take it with a pinch of salt, the user's first post plus there has been announcement in any media that have had access to today!!!!
it would need to be official before i believe it anyway!!!

stpauls

McGeeney quits intercounty scene 

McGeeney captained Armagh to the 2002 All-Ireland title
Armagh star Kieran McGeeney has retired from intercounty football.
McGeeney, who inspirational captaincy helped Armagh win the 2002 All-Ireland title, has informed his intercounty colleagues of his decision.

The 35-year-old's decision to step away from the intercounty game is not a major surprise but his absence does signal a new era for Armagh football.

Peter McDonnell has taken over as Armagh manager and the new boss may have to deal with further retirements.

More to follow.

ok, maybe it is time to start believing!!  :(
though the more to follow bit at the end is a bit mysterious!!
either way, i would like to thank 'Geezer' for what he has done for Armagh football over his long and illustrious career, and i am sure we will see him again within the Armagh setup at some stage in the future!!

maddog

If only we had 15 mcgeeneys. :o

Its the beginning of a new era and the gratitude owed to McGeeney by armagh football is immeasurable. In my view the single greatest player ever to pull on the armagh county jersey. Lets hope he is involved at some future stage.
Only one man can be the first to lift sam for his county.

orangeman

Not only an awesome player but what a leader !!!!!!!!! I saw him in Ballybofey this year and I thought he was as good as he ever was  -what about lasy year's International rules series ? Class act !

orangeman

Oh and by the way - what an embarassment that international rules series must have been for Pete Mc Grath - not selected for the previous two years ?? Shame on you Pete !

stpauls

speaking of that series, i just remebered the shoulder Geezer planted on your boy in Salthill, perfectly timed and executed, and left your boy in a heap on the ground and McGeeney was then able to gather the ball and play it upfield. Superb!!

orangeman

Here's a thought - might Mc Geeney have agreed to come on board with Mc Donnell in some capacity ?

stpauls

quite possibly as it said on the BBC website that there was more to follow on the story!!!

orangeman

The links are very close all round - he is tiled to Armagh and Mullaghbawn and the players - would be a great man to have in the changing room and on the training pitch.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: orangeman on September 14, 2007, 01:25:08 PM
Here's a thought - might Mc Geeney have agreed to come on board with Mc Donnell in some capacity ?
That was my first thought.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

illdecide

Quote from: orangeman on September 14, 2007, 01:30:15 PM
The links are very close all round - he is tiled to Armagh and Mullaghbawn and the players - would be a great man to have in the changing room and on the training pitch.

I told the lads on the board a few months ago that he will be finishing his football career with Mullaghbawn (the next 2 years) so watch this space!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

It would be a nice touch if he came back to where he started in Mullaghbawn - he has been good for football wherver he went.

full back

Heard that as well illdecide, about Mc Geeney returning to Mullaghbawn for club football.
I , too, would be suprised if he isnt asked by Mc Donnell for some input into the county scene

Is this the start of the exodus of the senior members of the panel?

orangeman

I'd say Mc Geeney has opened the gate - Mc Grane,Mc Nulty etc have nothing to prove and can walk away now.

cavanmaniac