Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2022, 10:08:56 AM
Agreed. I am not confident about this one if I'm honest and I really hope I am wrong.

Literally all on the day.

I wonder is Eoghan Cahill injured?

groundlie

Antrim and Offaly took heavy defeats at the weekend so it's hard to call.

keep her low this half

I haven't been at all confident about this play off since losing to Laois. Don't forget that Offaly beat us in the Walsh cup already this year and that despite some good performances we are played 8 lost 8 all year. This game will be tight and we have turned losing tight games into an art form  :'(

Saffrongael

McManus injured for Saturday ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

groundlie

Reports are Mcmanus and Mckenna are out. I still think we will have enough.

NAG1

No harm but hopefully this will actually indirectly inject some pace to the forward line and hopefully clear a spot for James or Clarkey to come in somewhere.

Its been dry all week pitches are starting speed up and a long with that so will the games. We need mobile forwards.

Milltown Row2

Pressure will be on then whoever takes over the free taking duties, as there was some complaining last time.

Personally I'd have Neil on them all day, last day out for him wasn't the norm, Clarke has been exceptional at free taking also for the close in frees so hopefully that will resume tomorrow..

Big Nial is as mobile as you'll get in fairness so we'll miss that side of things to be fair
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2022, 09:12:43 AM
Pressure will be on then whoever takes over the free taking duties, as there was some complaining last time.

Personally I'd have Neil on them all day, last day out for him wasn't the norm, Clarke has been exceptional at free taking also for the close in frees so hopefully that will resume tomorrow..

Big Nial is as mobile as you'll get in fairness so we'll miss that side of things to be fair

MR2 I think you maybe need to take a wee look back at the crunch times in the last few games, free taker should have been changed in the middle of the Waterford game and if not then definitely before the start of the Laois match. Can't afford to be throwing 4/5 points away in these games.

Niall has been a miss but Clarkey and James are a cut above IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on March 25, 2022, 09:19:49 AM

MR2 I think you maybe need to take a wee look back at the crunch times in the last few games, free taker should have been changed in the middle of the Waterford game and if not then definitely before the start of the Laois match. Can't afford to be throwing 4/5 points away in these games.

Yes it was certainly below his normal standards but Ive seen enough game time and crucial frees scored. James has been off injured and Clarkey, well the management must be seeing something we aren't. So unless you have been at the training sessions and assessing things then you are going on previous seasons, I hope he brings that level that we are used to on Sat should he be starting.

As for Nial, horses for courses in my view, the physicality that some players bring at that level is where we have been let down in the past, being brushed off the ball or dispossessed in the tackle has been a failing on ours for years, tidy hurlers are great , but a bitta steel is also required, finding the balance is the trick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

McKenna just goes at defenders and has the strength for it. It's something we lack a bit of. I did wonder on McNaughton as he did well against Laois when he came on and tbh last year was one of our best players.

Clarke is a funny one. He will rack up big totals against poorer teams but I always thought he struggled a bit on the physicality front against the division 1 teams. (That is not me calling him out BTW - it is just the physical size he is).

CitySlicker11

Niall McKenna is a certain starter when fit IMO.

NAG1

Offaly far from Div 1 top level standard to be fair.

Not disagreeing with you ITG on any of that.

imtommygunn

Yeah your first point a good one - i.e. play Clarke in this game lol. McKenna in the last year or two was what antrim had been crying out for for years.

Saffrongael

Quote from: NAG1 on March 25, 2022, 09:19:49 AM

You could actually go back to the Dublin game where a few very straightforward ones were missed (we aren't having a go MR2, just stating facts) against Waterford if i remember correctly Austin Gleeson took over free taking duties from Stephen Bennett, who despite being one of the best about was having  an off day.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

So no issues then with regards to the free taking then tomorrow.

Weather to be very good.