Irish mercenaries bring disgrace upon the Nation again

Started by Donagh, July 30, 2007, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SammyG on July 31, 2007, 08:36:43 PM
Thanks for that, all sorted now. Wish to fcuk you'd been around 800 years ago we could all have saved ourselves a hell of a lot of bother.  ;)

Any time SammyG, absolutely any time  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 31, 2007, 06:11:34 PM

I know Northern Ireland is not in Britain.

On the one hand you told Sammy you didn't mind what nationality he called himself then on the other suggested an alternative.  No spin, thats what you did.

If someone holds a passport that states their nationality as British Citizen then he has the right to call him or herself British.  Do you accept that?

Chris

1. I said 'perhaps' call oneself a United Kingdomer. I don't believe I was forcing anyone to accept my opinion.

2. You may call yourself whatever you wish. Absolutely. I know plenty of people with a UK passport who call themselves Irish. They just got the UK passport out of convenience.

Still, nice to have a choice. Perhaps you too could avail of an Irish passport, if you wished. But it's your choice.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

inisceithleann

Quote from: 5iveTimes on August 01, 2007, 10:40:09 AM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on August 01, 2007, 08:24:21 AM
I know plenty of people with a UK passport who call themselves Irish. They just got the UK passport out of convenience.

That really pisses me off, how can anyone who calls themselves Irish have a UK passport (member of my family please take note)

I'd find it extremely difficult to hold a UK passport but i suppose it doesn't matter too much to some people and they do not judge their 'irishness' by the passport they carry. They're entitled to their opinion.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Donagh

I know plenty of people with a UK passport who call themselves Irish. They just got the UK passport out of convenience.

That really pisses me off, how can anyone who calls themselves Irish have a UK passport (member of my family please take note)

It used to be cheaper and less hassle to get the Brit one. I took great pleasure signing an application for an Irish one by a newly qualified PSNI officer a few months back.  :D

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Donagh on August 01, 2007, 10:45:19 AM

It used to be cheaper and less hassle to get the Brit one. I took great pleasure signing an application for an Irish one by a newly qualified PSNI officer a few months back.  :D

quite frankly its digusting that anyone would turn to a brit passport to save a few hours or some cash. These same people will be some of the best bar stool republicans you ever meet.
Its Grim up North

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on August 01, 2007, 10:45:19 AMIt used to be cheaper and less hassle to get the Brit one.
I thought it was the other way round. There used to be a story that the Shankill had one of the highest numbers of RoI passports, outside the Republic, because it was easier for 'Loyalists' to travel (especially to America) on an RoI passport than a UK one. Might just be an urban myth but it's a good story.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I've always had an Irish passport but, for now, pay taxes to HMG, vote in UK general elections and work for one of 'her' institutions. It doesn't make me a traitor, or a taker of Liz's shilling, in my opinion, but I'm sure there are plenty of UK 'citizens' who'd like the option of dual citizenship in order to obtain an Irish passport.

PS I would like to be able to 'opt out' of paying tax for the UK's defence policy, the so-called 'civil list' and the building of nuclear power stations, ach sin scéal eile.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"