Irish mercenaries bring disgrace upon the Nation again

Started by Donagh, July 30, 2007, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:24:19 PMSo you have quadruple citizenship! As many nationalities as the face of the Albert Clock!

Woops, that should have been with a capital s.

No only one nationality, British.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 04:12:42 PM
Nah, he was a member of the Northern League!

This partitionist shite's just in his blood then  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Right - I've got what you're saying. Your nationality is British but you can also be northern irish, Irish, European too, errr, yes, that's it, isn't it?

Reminds me of that old poem we learned at school, my name is John, in France it is Jean etc.....
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:31:01 PM
Right - I've got what you're saying. Your nationality is British but you can also be northern irish, Irish, European too, errr, yes, that's it, isn't it?

Reminds me of that old poem we learned at school, my name is John, in France it is Jean etc.....
Err yes that's it, not too difficult a concept is it? You can be a Cavanman and Irish and Eurpean, you can be a Texan and American, you can be Northern Irish and British etc etc etc and that's before we even get into the issue of dual (or more) nationalities.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

SammyG, you call yourself what you want to, by all means.

I just can't comprehend why people from here get so het up about identifying themselves as British when in Britain. Northern ireland is not in Britain so perhaps, as someone suggested here a few days back, the nationality of "United Kingdomer" should be used.

I don't mind discussing 'dual citizenship' with you as it's the way forward for this little part of the world, in my opinion.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:39:18 PM
SammyG, you call yourself what you want to, by all means.

I just can't comprehend why people from here get so het up about identifying themselves as British when in Britain. Northern ireland is not in Britain so perhaps, as someone suggested here a few days back, the nationality of "United Kingdomer" should be used.

I don't mind discussing 'dual citizenship' with you as it's the way forward for this little part of the world, in my opinion.

And there we have the crux of it all.  You can call yourself what you like so long as it's not British ::)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

his holiness nb

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 31, 2007, 04:54:49 PM
And there we have the crux of it all.  You can call yourself what you like so long as it's not British ::)

No the crux of the problem is pricks from Owc stirring shite.  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I did use the word 'perhaps' re. United Kingdomer in my posting but sure why let a good spin come in the way of truth.

Northern Ireland isn't in Britain. You do accept that?

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 05:01:05 PMNorthern Ireland isn't in Britain. You do accept that?
Depends on context. Northern Ireland is not part of the island known as Great Britain, obviously, but Britain as a term is often used as shorthand for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In the same way people talk about Ireland when they mean the Republic of Ireland or US when they mean the United States of America.

MW

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 05:01:05 PM
I did use the word 'perhaps' re. United Kingdomer in my posting but sure why let a good spin come in the way of truth.

Northern Ireland isn't in GREAT Britain - the term 'Britain' is a bit more malleable (like 'Ireland').

Aerlik

"Maybe the next time they need cannon fodder, they`ll give you guns. Last time they sent the Irish out to fight for them they were just bullet catchers, but now the prods have changed that one round and in fact celebrate the battle of the somme. You couldnt make it up."

5ive Times, so so true.  I've had the same thing said to me here in Oz re. the Diggers at ANZAC Cove (actually a disrespectfully deliberate changing of the local placename).  You should see their faces when I explain that the Aussies were under threat of being shot by the English generals if they didn't attack.  The Aussies should not be commemorating this as heroic, but should instead be using it as another (what number are we up to now?) justified reason of clearing out of the English commonwealth.  Until they do they'll always be the butt of English jokes..."you all live in a convict colony, a convict colony, a convict colony..."

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Chrisowc

I know Northern Ireland is not in Britain.

On the one hand you told Sammy you didn't mind what nationality he called himself then on the other suggested an alternative.  No spin, thats what you did.

If someone holds a passport that states their nationality as British Citizen then he has the right to call him or herself British.  Do you accept that?

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Rossfan

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:39:18 PM
Northern ireland is not in Britain so perhaps, as someone suggested here a few days back, the nationality of "United Kingdomer" should be used.

I think Ukish would be a better word  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 05:05:36 PM

Northern Ireland isn't in GREAT Britain - the term 'Britain' is a bit more malleable (like 'Ireland').

No it's not, no part of Ireland is in any part of Britain (unless they're magical islands?), and the 'Great' is a total waste of space; it's original intention was to distinguish it from 'Little' Britain (way back). It then fell into disuse entirely until some Victorian tulips revived it, and so began the thinking  that 'great' meant great as in the 'wonderful' sense. D'oh.

People from Britain, i.e., Britons, i.e., those from England, Wales or Scotland are British, that is their island, and no one can ever change that. Within that they can be English, Welsh or Scottish, and further categorised as Yorkshire, Pembrokeshire, etc.

Your island, i.e., the island you're actually from, is Ireland. Ergo, using identical logic (to that of the Britons), you're first and foremost Irish, and within that you may choose to categorise yourself as northern Irish, and further as Antrim, Down, etc.. And unlike the Britons' Britishness, yours is of the totally ephemeral  variety, i.e., impermanent, i.e., at the whim of a Whitehall pen.  And if Whitehall decided to rescind your 'Britishness' tomorrow, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

SammyG

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2007, 08:22:16 PM
Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 05:05:36 PM

No it's not, no part of Ireland is in any part of Britain (unless they're magical islands?), and the 'Great' is a total waste of space; it's original intention was to distinguish it from 'Little' Britain (way back). It then fell into disuse entirely until some Victorian tulips revived it, and so began the thinking  that 'great' meant great as in the 'wonderful' sense. D'oh.

People from Britain, i.e., Britons, i.e., those from England, Wales or Scotland are British, that is their island, and no one can ever change that. Within that they can be English, Welsh or Scottish, and further categorised as Yorkshire, Pembrokeshire, etc.

Your island, i.e., the island you're actually from, is Ireland. Ergo, using identical logic (to that of the Britons), you're first and foremost Irish, and within that you may choose to categorise yourself as northern Irish, and further as Antrim, Down, etc.. And unlike the Britons' Britishness, yours is of the totally ephemeral  variety, i.e., impermanent, i.e., at the whim of a Whitehall pen.  And if Whitehall decided to rescind your 'Britishness' tomorrow, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Thanks for that, all sorted now. Wish to fcuk you'd been around 800 years ago we could all have saved ourselves a hell of a lot of bother.  ;)