Irish mercenaries bring disgrace upon the Nation again

Started by Donagh, July 30, 2007, 02:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 03:45:55 PM
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 03:15:26 PM
Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 03:02:21 PM

I lived in England for nearly 3 years - people were perfectly accepting of of my British identity.

Did you go on about being British all the time!!

Yep I wore one of those John Bull waistcoats and everything :)
thats twice now  :D

still less comedy and maybe read up more on what ACTUALLY happened in the six counties, not hand chriatian paisleys 'fairy tale version' of it as told to wee unionist/loyalists as they grow up..
still yer funny today (well funny everyday but not usually in that way)  ;)

MW

Quote from: Donagh on July 31, 2007, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 02:37:55 PM
One more thing - this native of this part of the United Kingdom also holds citizenship of his own country and gives his allegiance to it. So you can add me to the ranks of your "traitors" along with the majority of the people of Northern Ireland.

Did you join the army MW? How many Iraqis did you rape and murder today? Does Quinn Direct offer a special mercenary policy?

I didn't join the army. I do however hold the same national allegiance as those who did and have, so I must also be a "traitor" to the same thing that they are, whatever it might be...

MW

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 31, 2007, 03:46:46 PM
" a Catholic fella from South Down of Italian ancestry" was happily British?
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes indeed. Lives in London now. Big ol' Tory he is too.

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 03:30:16 PM
To prove to the locals he too was British, I guess, as MW said a wee while ago.
Surely an Engerlund top would mean he was English??
Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 03:30:16 PM
Because I think if they had seen him wearing an OWC jersey, they'd naturally presume he was Irish, I would imagine.

Surely if he was wearing an OWC jersey he would be Irish, or at least have some sort of Irish heritage.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I don't know. You're confusing me.

"Some sort of Irish heritage."

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 03:59:28 PM
I don't know. You're confusing me.

"Some sort of Irish heritage."

I mean he would have Irish parents/grandparents or have lived in NI or whatever. It would be unlikely that somebody with no connection would want to wear an OWC shirt (or any other country that they weren't connected to).

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: MW on July 31, 2007, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on July 31, 2007, 03:46:46 PM
" a Catholic fella from South Down of Italian ancestry" was happily British?
  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yes indeed. Lives in London now. Big ol' Tory he is too.

And Berlusconi's his hero, nuff said!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

MW

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Quote from: SammyG on July 31, 2007, 04:05:38 PM

I mean he would have Irish parents/grandparents or have lived in NI or whatever. It would be unlikely that somebody with no connection would want to wear an OWC shirt (or any other country that they weren't connected to).

"or whatever".......ach now, MW, you're a smart guy. What are you really saying here, because you have lost me.

My point for MW was how would someone from Ireland, working or living in England, try to convince everyone he meets that he is British. Well, if he wore an OWC jersey when in company, for example, I would imagine most would presume he was Irish, but yet he'd still be insisting he was British etc.

Like I say, you've lost me. I am beginning to think some want their cake and eat it too. "I'm Irish", "I'm northern Irish", "I'm British", depending on which direction the wind is blowing. But I know we've been through this debate time and time again.

Jim_Murphy_74

OWC site currently has a memorial thread to a German chap who supported OWC.  No connections with NI mentioned.

/Jim.

Donagh

Loved the poster on OWC who said he "loved a bit of culture" i.e. getting pissed-up and watching an Orange parade.
I wonder how many British people would get off on the same notion of culture. I'll bet he loves to go to this place on his holliers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vfd9TV8TaI&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDMT9751Lrk&NR=1

SammyG

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 31, 2007, 04:12:56 PM

"or whatever".......ach now, MW, you're a smart guy. What are you really saying here, because you have lost me.
You've quoted me but addressed your answer to MW, we're not all the same you know.
My point for MW was how would someone from Ireland, working or living in England, try to convince everyone he meets that he is British. Well, if he wore an OWC jersey when in company, for example, I would imagine most would presume he was Irish, but yet he'd still be insisting he was British etc.
Why would he be trying to convince anybody of anything? I've lived and worked in the RoI, America, Engerlund and (currently) Wales and I've never once tried to convince anybody of my nationality. If it comes up in conversation (hard to miss the accent) I say I'm from Belfast and if that gets a blank look I say Northern Ireland.
Like I say, you've lost me. I am beginning to think some want their cake and eat it too. "I'm Irish", "I'm northern Irish", "I'm British", depending on which direction the wind is blowing. But I know we've been through this debate time and time again.
Nothing to do with which way the wind is blowing. All of those things are correct (although Northern Irish should have a capital N  ;)). You can be all of those things, they're not mutually exclusive, I'm also European.

An Fear Rua

watch any of the political shows, always a few texts running across the screen "im British , not Irish" from d.Heed East Belfast etc
Its Grim up North

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Sorry sammyG, I did mean you not MW at the time.

Ach I suppose they were getting confused with Belfast, Ohio.

So you have quadruple citizenship! As many nationalities as the face of the Albert Clock!

Woops, that should have been with a capital s.

SammyG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 31, 2007, 04:14:49 PM

OWC site currently has a memorial thread to a German chap who supported OWC.  No connections with NI mentioned.

/Jim.

I know, there are also a few others, including Shaun with an H who's been to every NI match home and away for years but has no connection to NI. That's why I said unlikely rather than impossible.