?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: DERRYSFINEST on May 09, 2018, 01:29:40 PM
photos are great, but the content of the reports are terrible compared to Cahir and Conan. Mal's style of writing is brutal.

I dont buy it anymore

Would agree that the reports aren't as good or extensive as previous years.

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on May 09, 2018, 02:17:43 PM
photos are great, but the content of the reports are terrible compared to Cahir and Conan. Mal's style of writing is brutal.

I dont buy it anymore

Were they not taken over a few years back by the same crew that owns the Irish News? Running on a very very tight budget by all accounts

oakleaflad

I remember on here a few years ago people were slagging Cahair and Co. to the point where they came on here and responded. We don't know how lucky we are with the County Derry Post. We probably have the best club coverage in the country and yet people still aren't happy. They are running on a tight budget and the content is great considering this. As for Mal, met him a couple times and he seemed like a genuine man, loved his GAA and he has been involved with fairly successful teams (what part he played I'm not sure). Probably has more of a clue than some of the keyboard warriors on here.

call it as i see it

Quote from: toby47 on May 09, 2018, 02:17:43 PM

I dont buy it anymore

your some person to talk you would rather complain about RTE or SKY (JoG2)

toby47

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 09, 2018, 02:33:44 PM
I remember on here a few years ago people were slagging Cahair and Co. to the point where they came on here and responded. We don't know how lucky we are with the County Derry Post. We probably have the best club coverage in the country and yet people still aren't happy. They are running on a tight budget and the content is great considering this. As for Mal, met him a couple times and he seemed like a genuine man, loved his GAA and he has been involved with fairly successful teams (what part he played I'm not sure). Probably has more of a clue than some of the keyboard warriors on here.

Completely agree we have the best club coverage about from a local paper but there is no doubt it was better a couple of years back. Saffron Gael website do a good job also for anyone with an interest in Antrim club football, extensive club reports and pictures however it's just a website and doesn't come in newspaper form.

Newbridge Exile

Agree 100%

theticklemister

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 09, 2018, 06:09:15 PM
Agree 100%

Agree 200 %.

f**k lads. What a great job the CDP does. I wish day buck I could read it every week, but I can't. They give the club game a great platform. Don't know how lucky he are. How many of you would know anything about club footballers before the CDP began to do their business? Mal has continued this.

Mal does an absolute outstanding job. Puts his heart an soul into it. I sent him a couple of reports over the years and he helped me promote the campaign of GAA Jerseys for Palestine throughout the county.

Glenman93

http://derrygaa.ie/fixturesandresults/?countyBoardID=7&compGroupID=51239&leagueTable=y

Is this league cup going to turn out to be a complete farce?  Looks like Lavey has conceded all their games already!?

Buzzkill

Quote from: Glenman93 on May 09, 2018, 08:53:16 PM
http://derrygaa.ie/fixturesandresults/?countyBoardID=7&compGroupID=51239&leagueTable=y

Is this league cup going to turn out to be a complete farce?  Looks like Lavey has conceded all their games already!?

Are these new league format cups still known as the Larkin & McGlinchey cups?  Or have they replaced those cups?

Surely Lavey could field their fringe players or reserves if they dont want their seniors to compete in this league cup. Or is there a cup competition for reserves as well?

toby47

Quote from: Buzzkill on May 10, 2018, 01:43:03 PM

Are these new league format cups still known as the Larkin & McGlinchey cups?  Or have they replaced those cups?

Surely Lavey could field their fringe players or reserves if they dont want their seniors to compete in this league cup. Or is there a cup competition for reserves as well?

There is a separate competition for reserves. The fixtures are double headers just like league games. Can't see many of the reserve games being played though. Also they don't seem to be the Larkin/McGlinchy cups anymore.

I can see them pretty much turning into a farce. Realistically they are a just a filler to try and get clubs games during a 10 week break in the club football calendar. 

the half-time show

I wouldn't say it'll turn out a complete farce but I certainly don't think it'll go as well as intended.  Many of the club players that I've spoken with would rather have a break from action for a week or two rather than running off another 7 games that have very little meaning. 

Two solutions that I think would improve the overall approach would be to either remove the reserve fixtures in it allowing clubs to field a mix of senior and reserve players, reducing the strain on clubs that don't have big panels (county players aren't able to play in this competition) and allowing older / injured players to take a rest if needed. 
Alternatively, split the divisions into 4 groups of 4 rather than just 2 smaller leagues.  Each club then plays just 3 games which could be held every other weekend allowing players a week off in between and then the winners of each group play in a semi final and final for the "League Cup".

I can understand the thinking behind it but with a few small tweaks it would be even more beneficial to players looking extra games but also keen to have a break in action.

toby47

Quote from: the half-time show on May 10, 2018, 02:43:16 PM

I wouldn't say it'll turn out a complete farce but I certainly don't think it'll go as well as intended.  Many of the club players that I've spoken with would rather have a break from action for a week or two rather than running off another 7 games that have very little meaning. 

Two solutions that I think would improve the overall approach would be to either remove the reserve fixtures in it allowing clubs to field a mix of senior and reserve players, reducing the strain on clubs that don't have big panels (county players aren't able to play in this competition) and allowing older / injured players to take a rest if needed. 
Alternatively, split the divisions into 4 groups of 4 rather than just 2 smaller leagues.  Each club then plays just 3 games which could be held every other weekend allowing players a week off in between and then the winners of each group play in a semi final and final for the "League Cup".

I can understand the thinking behind it but with a few small tweaks it would be even more beneficial to players looking extra games but also keen to have a break in action.

Good thinking, that would be a lot more beneficial.

I wonder will anyone else follow Lavey's lead and just not field for the tournament

braveheart

Would this not be a great opportunity to play the u21 competition?

Buzzkill

Quote from: braveheart on May 10, 2018, 03:07:45 PM

At last someone has spoken with some sense. this is the perfect time to play the u21 comp, rather than rush it off in the winter in awful playing conditions in bog pitches.

Glenman93

Quote from: Buzzkill on May 10, 2018, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: braveheart on May 10, 2018, 03:07:45 PM

At last someone has spoken with some sense. this is the perfect time to play the u21 comp, rather than rush it off in the winter in awful playing conditions in bog pitches.

Couldn't play under 21 comp with derry under 20s and minors in full flow.