Previous topic - Next topic

Was Cody right to start Shefflin?

Yes
18 (48.6%)
No
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Maiden1

He didn't look right from the very first minute and looked like he was only 1/2 going in for tackles. Maybe with hindsight Cody should have took a leaf out of James mccartans book and just came out and said shefflin wasn't starting and concentrated on playing without him.  Kilkenny seemed to be focusing too much on shefflin being fit to play.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

gallsman

I'm long past the stage where I ever dare to think I'm qualified to question a decision Brian Cody makes when it comes to managing a game of hurling.

Overthebar!

not sure it is right to be comparing the situation to professional footballers, after all they are tied to contracts worth millions of pounds. very few of those players would be half as loyal as Henry Shefflin has been to KK. he owes them nothing and if he wanted to be there for what could have been a historical day then fair play. the rights or wrongs of it don't matter now...

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on September 05, 2010, 11:45:45 PM
I'm long past the stage where I ever dare to think I'm qualified to question a decision Brian Cody makes when it comes to managing a game of hurling.

Oh how "dare" we question what Cody does.  ::)

Reillers

Quote from: Overthebar! on September 05, 2010, 11:50:29 PM
not sure it is right to be comparing the situation to professional footballers, after all they are tied to contracts worth millions of pounds. very few of those players would be half as loyal as Henry Shefflin has been to KK. he owes them nothing and if he wanted to be there for what could have been a historical day then fair play. the rights or wrongs of it don't matter now...

Oh he owes them nothing, absolutely nothing. He wanted to be there, and worked his socks off to get there, and fair play for that, but I think it was irresponsible of Cody to play him, despite how willing he was. Not to mention it was unfair, in a way, on the team, too much going on with his knee, unfair on the team waiting to see whether Shefflin would start, would he, wont he..unfair on the fit players, despite the fact that KK having oh such a strong squad that nobody was irreplaceable.

As for the professional players, they may be worth millions but they are well looked after. You seem to know it better than me anyway, would England have played that lad Rooney in the World Cup final, if the situation was the same, knowing the impact it could have on the player and club?

gallsman

Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 11:51:26 PM

Simply pointing out that I'm nowhere near qualified to question his decisions. He's been there for 12 years, won seven All-Irelands and reached another three finals.

Was listening to Len Gaynor driving home form the match and he pointed out that the psychological boost to the other players of Shefflin starting was definitely worthwhile. If they had torn into Tipp like they did against Waterford two years ago the loss of Shefflin after 15 mins or so might not have a rallying call as opposed to a source of dismay. Tennyson (who admittedly has had a longer recovery period) lasted the full 70 and hurled quite well.

Perhaps you should put yourself forward for the Cork job next year Reillers.

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2010, 12:00:01 AM
Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 11:51:26 PM

Simply pointing out that I'm nowhere near qualified to question his decisions. He's been there for 12 years, won seven All-Irelands and reached another three finals.

Was listening to Len Gaynor driving home form the match and he pointed out that the psychological boost to the other players of Shefflin starting was definitely worthwhile. If they had torn into Tipp like they did against Waterford two years ago the loss of Shefflin after 15 mins or so might not have a rallying call as opposed to a source of dismay. Tennyson (who admittedly has had a longer recovery period) lasted the full 70 and hurled quite well.

Perhaps you should put yourself forward for the Cork job next year Reillers.

But we can question everyone else. FFS.  ::) How dare us average club members question the all mighty Cody.

Cody has tunnel vision, he'll do whatever it takes for KK to win, no matter the cost..and sometimes he can't see where the line is, and he failed to see that this time round.

Think it was unfair on the team to be honest, a bit selfish almost, that everything was concentrating on him, waiting on him, being fit or not being fit, the team was unsure of what was going on, and what does it say about Cody's opinion of Rice, would rather Shefflin with a bad ACL injury start instead of him.
I mean in a way, it was a boost to see such a talisman start, but all the messing around can't have had a good impact on the team.

Tennyson got lucky, Shefflin didn't, that's about the sum of it, and he was out for longer than Shefflin as well to be fair.

They lost him after like 11 mins..whether KK were going well or not would have nothing to do with Shefflin, because he had very little impact on the game, the only major impact he had was the sight of him hobbling off. And that wouldn't have changed, whether they had ripped into Tipp and scored 10 points or 20 points. He lasted 11 mins, that was all. Doing more damage than good.

SLIGONIAN

I agree with Reillers but ffs reillers lads are allowed to disagree with your point aswell. Agree to disagree. For me the fact he lasted 10mins is proof enough rather than dealing with ifs, buts and maybe. I would of went the caution approach and i also feel it was a EMOTIONAL decision rather than medical. Feel free to disagree.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

gallsman

Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2010, 12:12:31 AM
Tennyson got lucky, Shefflin didn't, that's about the sum of it, and he was out for longer than Shefflin as well to be fair.

Exactly. That's how gambles work. If they come off you're a genius. If they don't you're an idiot. The decision is in whether to gamble or not. Cody obviously felt it worthwhile.

What's this bitchy shite about the "all mighty" (sic) Cody? Are you a little bit jealous? Cody has always been humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Heaven forbid anyone ever questions Sean Og or Donal Og Reillers, eh?

SLIGONIAN, I'll take up your offer of disagreeing with you. Cody has never resorted to emotional decisions. Players have always been picked on form. Back in 2003 there was uproar in the Village (his own club) when he dropped both Philly Larkin and Brian McEvoy - he's absolutely ruthless when he needs to be.

Reillers

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 06, 2010, 12:23:39 AM
I agree with Reillers but ffs reillers lads are allowed to disagree with your point aswell. Agree to disagree. For me the fact he lasted 10mins is proof enough rather than dealing with ifs, buts and maybe. I would of went the caution approach and i also feel it was a EMOTIONAL decision rather than medical. Feel free to disagree.

Oh I don't care if they disagree, feel free, it's the ones who have nothing better to do but bring up the strike and have a go for no reason like the clown Magpiesean, when everyone else is saying the same. You think they'd have moved on by now.

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2010, 12:32:29 AM

Exactly. That's how gambles work. If they come off you're a genius. If they don't you're an idiot. The decision is in whether to gamble or not. Cody obviously felt it worthwhile.

What's this bitchy shite about the "all mighty" (sic) Cody? Are you a little bit jealous? Cody has always been humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Heaven forbid anyone ever questions Sean Og or Donal Og Reillers, eh?

SLIGONIAN, I'll take up your offer of disagreeing with you. Cody has never resorted to emotional decisions. Players have always been picked on form. Back in 2003 there was uproar in the Village (his own club) when he dropped both Philly Larkin and Brian McEvoy - he's absolutely ruthless when he needs to be.

Ya I agree, Cody put the team ahead of the player, hoping it would pay off, it didn't, not like it would have made much of an impact on the game because Tipp were outstanding, whille KK aren't.
You saying you wont question him because he's won so much, but we can question everyone else, and here we go back to the Cork obsession. Build a bridge..

gallsman

The irony. You're absolutely pathetic. This has nothing to do with Cork. If it was Donal O'Grady or John Allen I wouldn't consider myself qualified to question them either.

You're right, Tipp were outstanding. You're wrong, Kilkenny are outstanding.

Reillers

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2010, 12:41:47 AM
The irony. You're absolutely pathetic. This has nothing to do with Cork. If it was Donal O'Grady or John Allen I wouldn't consider myself qualified to question them either.

You're right, Tipp were outstanding. You're wrong, Kilkenny are outstanding.

Oh why are you turning this into a whining session. You brought up Cork. You think  as club members we can't question someone like Cody, then fine, that's your view. I stop listenining when you start to throw a stroppy fit. I never said Kilkenny weren't outstanding, but go on, keep throwing a tantrum.

gallsman

I never once said you couldn't question him. I merely pointed out that I personally wouldn't as I fully believe (as you pointed out yourself) that the TEAM is Cody's overriding concern.

Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2010, 12:44:38 AM
I never said Kilkenny weren't outstanding

Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2010, 12:35:27 AM
Tipp were outstanding, whille KK aren't.

I suppose this is my old trick of quoting one of your posts out of context again, is it?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on September 06, 2010, 12:32:29 AM

I agree to a certain extent, that this is the first and last emotional decision he will ever make imo. The pressure put on Cody by Shefflin to start in the AI final that bring the 5 in a row to me is what happened.

Quote from: Reillers on September 06, 2010, 12:33:05 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 06, 2010, 12:23:39 AM

Oh I don't care if they disagree, feel free, it's the ones who have nothing better to do but bring up the strike and have a go for no reason like the clown Magpiesean, when everyone else is saying the same. You think they'd have moved on by now.
If you didnt care you wouldnt be replying to every post that disagrees with you. People are going to be split 50/50 on this and there probably both right.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"