Previous topic - Next topic

Was Cody right to start Shefflin?

Yes
18 (48.6%)
No
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

magpie seanie

So Reillers knows better than Gerard Hartmann. Good lad, fair pay to you. And he cares more about KK players welfare than Brian Cody. Would ye go away and cop yourself on and stop making such an eejit of yourself.

Reillers

Quote from: magpie seanie link=
topic=17290.msg846762#msg846762 date=1283720641

So Reillers knows better than Gerard Hartmann. Good lad, fair pay to you. And he cares more about KK players welfare than Brian Cody. Would ye go away and cop yourself on and stop making such an eejit of yourself.

So it was a total new injury was it. Shefflin lasted 10 minutes, an entire 10 minutes. No amount of work no matter by who, would make up for the actual needed time to recover and heal, surgery and 8 months out (or that about.) No amount of work in 17 days will make up for the time needed.

I don't know where you're getting he cares more about Kk players welfare than Cody. Cody is very one eyed which we all know, and would do anything for KK to win and he took a gamble too far, which is blatantly obvious..well for 90% of people to see.
It was irresponsible and a stupid decision. Cody needed Shefflin and really went on the limb for him to play, so did the player himself and everyone involved, they all put in a massive effort. But it was a poor decision and it could cost Shefflin. it's not like he was tackled badly or anything, there was nobody near him, he pulled up in agony. It just went. It was like putting a plaster on a gun shot wound.

It was a terrible gamble and went terribly wrong, and you don't need to be an expert to figure that out, and to see that 17 days, no matter how much work they do, comes near to the required time out, no matter how fit or strong a player is.

Hopefully it wont cost the player time out.

And by the way everyone else is saying the same, I mean get over it. Build a bridge and move on and go cry into your pint. 

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2010, 10:04:01 PM

So it was a total new injury was it. Shefflin lasted 10 minutes, an entire 10 minutes. No amount of work no matter by who, would make up for the actual needed time to recover and heal, surgery and 8 months out (or that about.) No amount of work in 17 days will make up for the time needed.

I don't know where you're getting he cares more about Kk players welfare than Cody. Cody is very one eyed and would do anything for KK to win and he took a gamble too far, which is blatantly obvious. It was irresponsible and a stupid decision. Cody needed Shefflin and really went on the limb for him to play, so did the player himself and everyone involved but it was a poor decision and it could cost Shefflin. Nobody near him, pulled up in agony. It was a terrible gamble and went terribly wrong. Hopefully it wont cost the player time out.

And by the way everyone else is saying the same, I mean get over it. Build a bridge and move on.

shefflin knew the risks. And he'd admit it. Do you think cody put a gun to his head. They gambled and it backfired. Doesn't mean thye shouldn't have tried.You honestly think Cork have never gambled on a player

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on September 05, 2010, 10:13:16 PM
Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 10:09:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 05, 2010, 10:04:01 PM

I don't know where you're getting he cares more about Kk players welfare than Cody. Cody is very one eyed and would do anything for KK to win and he took a gamble too far, which is blatantly obvious. It was irresponsible and a stupid decision. Cody needed Shefflin and really went on the limb for him to play, so did the player himself and everyone involved but it was a poor decision and it could cost Shefflin. Nobody near him, pulled up in agony. It was a terrible gamble and went terribly wrong. Hopefully it wont cost the player time out.

And by the way everyone else is saying the same, I mean get over it. Build a bridge and move on.

shefflin knew the risks. And he'd admit it. Do you think cody put a gun to his head. They gambled and it backfired. Doesn't mean thye shouldn't have tried.You honestly think Cork have never gambled on a player

No absolutely not, Shefflin was no doubt itching to play, would have done just about anything and put in an allmighty amount of work. But he should never have been allowed play, but that's just my view.

There's gambling on a player like hoping someone's hamstring will hold up and there's gambling on an ACL injury after less than a month out.
You'd have to trust his own judgement, he knows his body, he knew the risk, he's 31 years old..he's not a child. He wanted to be part of it, you couldn't bring him on and loose him 10 mins later, as we've said it'd be a boost for Tipp had that happened, so they either had to start him or play him in the last 10 mins.
They were clearly trying to rely on him too much and is it a point of being unfair on a fit player than going on a whim and a prayer. Kilkenny always go on about no one's too good to be dropped, that they've a really strong squad, that anyone's replaceable. But they played 2 players who had terrible injuries.

There's gambling and stupidity. I think they were right to try, if that's what he really wanted, and if there was genuinely any chance, but surely we all knew it was a tiny chance and even than, he was never going to last. It was ridiculous to think it'd hold up in any sort of way, too good to believe and it was.

mournerambler

I'm not going to get into the 'should he shouldn't he have started' arguement but I do wonder, why on earth with such an injury hanging over him was he not wearing a heavy knee support?

Bogball XV

looking over the henry injury thread and reillers has been consistent - he said pretty much the same things back then that he's been saying on this thread, that even though henry might think he's ready, he really shouldn't be allowed to play.

Overthebar!

just beat me to it there mournerambler- would it not have made more sense for him to try wear some sort of knee brace or support today?it's not like the tipp players weren't aware of the injury or going to target him! maybe he felt it restricted him, i don't know...
he prob was rushed back but hindsight is a wonderful thing, if kilkenny had of won cody would be a hero. fair play to tipp

Reillers

Quote from: Overthebar! on September 05, 2010, 10:24:58 PM
just beat me to it there mournerambler- would it not have made more sense for him to try wear some sort of knee brace or support today?it's not like the tipp players weren't aware of the injury or going to target him! maybe he felt it restricted him, i don't know...
he prob was rushed back but hindsight is a wonderful thing, if kilkenny had of won cody would be a hero. fair play to tipp

I was thinking the same, you see these soccer lads wearnig all sorts, and you gotta wonder why it wasn't heavily strapped, obviously there was a reason he didn't need it or it would have had no effect. But it's interesting.

orangeman

Henry says it was right to start - it just didn't work out. There's the answer from the horse's mouth.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on September 05, 2010, 10:37:39 PM
Henry says it was right to start - it just didn't work out. There's the answer from the horse's mouth.

That is it at the end of the day, he wanted to play, he was 31, Cody for me, shouldn't have agreed to it, but he's 31 years old, he's not a child. It's not like you're dealing with a young lad who didn't know any better. It's Shefflin's fault at the end of the day, as much as it is Cody's. It was irresponsible for Cody to play him, but they both agreed to it, Shefflin's old enough and experienced enough to know the risks, they both did, and they'll pay for it, unfortunately.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Minder on September 05, 2010, 09:34:48 PM
What about him starting Tennyson? Who had a fine game.

Exactly. If Shefflin had lasted the 70 minutes people would still be complaining about something.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Reillers

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 05, 2010, 10:53:04 PM

Exactly. If Shefflin had lasted the 70 minutes people would still be complaining about something.

But it's not like Shefflin was tackled or landed badly, hit or fell, or his stud got caught in the ground..he was running, going at full pace. Tennyson got lucky and that's about it. It was still irresponsible for him to start.

And I hate to say it, but you've got to wonder, as someone brought up today, would they do the same thing with the soccer in the Premiership? I'm not sure to be honest, but maybe someone who knows the Premier league better could answer that. For me I think, they tend to put players welfare first.

theskull1

Maybe Henry threatened to go on strike if Brian didn't start him......eh Reillers?  :P
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 10:59:02 PM

But it's not like Shefflin was tackled or landed badly, hit or fell, or his stud got caught in the ground..he was running, going at full pace. Tennyson got lucky and that's about it. It was still irresponsible for him to start.

And I hate to say it, but you've got to wonder, as someone brought up today, would they do the same thing with the soccer in the Premiership? I'm not sure to be honest, but maybe someone who knows the Premier league better could answer that. For me I think, they tend to put players welfare first.

Gerrard, Torres, Rooney, Terry and a host of others have all been nrushed back after injury for big games. I would say it was more Shefflins doing than Codys. Shefflin wanted to be there for the 5 in a row. If he had lasted the entire 70 minutes and Kilkenny won the game this thread would be about the genius of Cody and the guy who prepared Shefflin and Tennyson.
Thats sport, thems the breaks. Tipperary wont complain.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Reillers

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 05, 2010, 11:07:23 PM
Quote from: Reillers on September 05, 2010, 10:59:02 PM

Gerrard, Torres, Rooney, Terry and a host of others have all been nrushed back after injury for big games. I would say it was more Shefflins doing than Codys. Shefflin wanted to be there for the 5 in a row. If he had lasted the entire 70 minutes and Kilkenny won the game this thread would be about the genius of Cody and the guy who prepared Shefflin and Tennyson.
Thats sport, thems the breaks. Tipperary wont complain.

But there's rushing back, skimming a few weeks off after rehab and surgery or whatever, and there's doing what Shefflin did, 20 odd days instead of surgery and 8 months, that puts "rushing back" from an injury to a whole new level.

Would they allow the likes of Rooney to do what Shefflin did? I guess it's hard to tell because it was one game, at the very end of the season..but you gotta wonder.
Would Manchester Untied have allowed Rooney to play in the World cup final for England if he had the same injury but would f**k him up for a few months and f**k him up for the club?