Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Hilltresk on March 02, 2011, 01:36:19 PM
Is there anywhere on the web which shows all the contraversial decisions that have went in United's favour this year ie Rooney elbow, Blackpool's stonewall penalty not being given etc.
Yep, here...

Man United Decisions 2010-2011

Bingo

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 02, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2011, 01:47:12 PM
Even before Rooney's great goal I was worried about the ref. It wasn't just the failure to send Luiz off and the joke of a penalty given to Chelsea or the penalty not given to United for Terry's handball - he was at it all night. Ivanovic sat on Nani after Nani nutmegged him out at the corner flag and it was "play on"! One of those nights but please in future spare us the "United own the refs" garbage. It is bloody annoying granted and its happening too much against Chelsea for my liking!

Great game to face into to start the recovery. Liverpool have been a bit more spirited under Dalglish so will be tough to beat but to win the title United have to start picking up a few away wins at tricky places.

I am fed up with people and their 'swings and roundabouts' shit talk, I would just like to see a United Chelsea game decided fairly for a change, the referee has basically decided the last 3 league games between the two sides, it is a disgrace.  As dor everybody saying United get everything their own way, they haven't had a penalty awarded to them in a while in the League.

For that see United V Everyone else....

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 02, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
Even before Rooney's great goal I was worried about the ref. It wasn't just the failure to send Luiz off and the joke of a penalty given to Chelsea or the penalty not given to United for Terry's handball - he was at it all night. Ivanovic sat on Nani after Nani nutmegged him out at the corner flag and it was "play on"! One of those nights but please in future spare us the "United own the refs" garbage. It is bloody annoying granted and its happening too much against Chelsea for my liking!

Great game to face into to start the recovery. Liverpool have been a bit more spirited under Dalglish so will be tough to beat but to win the title United have to start picking up a few away wins at tricky
places.

I am fed up with people and their 'swings and roundabouts' shit talk, I would just like to see a United Chelsea game decided fairly for a change, the referee has basically decided the last 3 league games between the two sides, it is a disgrace.  As dor everybody saying United get everything their own way, they haven't had a penalty awarded to them in a while in the League.

It's so unfair.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Personally I believe in swings and roundabouts... As sports fans we all have a persecution complex , everyones against us. You will see it right down to your clubs Junior team "sure that bollix never gives us anything". But I for the life of me can never get this "United get all decisions" shite from grown ups who should know better.

AZOffaly

I think there is a grain of truth in it. It's almost a self fulfilling prophesy and it occurs throughout the sporting world whenever there is human involvement in the adjudication process. The good teams always seem to get proportionally more decisions in their favour than the poor teams. Sometimes it's because they are the better team, and therefore are actually *earning* the fouls or whatever. But sometimes it's because the referees, who are human, know that one team is better than the other, and always look at the match with that in their subconscious.

I think if you look at 'questionable' decisions, the great teams get them in their favour more often than not, simply because they have made themselves great and the referees give them the sub conscious benefit of the doubt. But it's not just Manchester United, indeed it's not just soccer. Look at Kerry, Kilkenny, Tyrone now, the Miami Heat, The Pittsburgh Steelers, All Blacks Rugby. It happens, and it's human nature.

Of course there are the exceptions that prove the rule, but they normally come against other 'big teams' such as last night. I doubt you'd have seen Sunderland get the benefit of those decisions for example.

Norf Tyrone

Great game to face into to start the recovery. Liverpool have been a bit more spirited under Dalglish so will be tough to beat but to win the title United have to start picking up a few away wins at tricky places.

I'll replay because you usually chat sense.

1. You never mentioned Chelsea's disallowed goal?
2. Ivanovic and Nani tumbled together. It looked like both over balanced OR Nani pulled him back.
3. The Terry penalty incident would've been very harsh. Ball hit with pace and hands tight by his side. If it was deliberate that's the 'back up keeper' issue sorted.
4. You never mentioned Rooney's dive in the penalty box that should've been a yellow.
5. Luiz definately should've got red. No doubt. Any reason with Hernandez held his face when Luiz fouled him considering the charge was to the chest.
6. No mention of Rooney's charge on Ramieres (I think it's called the 'McCarthy') that should've been a yellow.
7. The penalty I was not too sure about until the after match replays. Definately a pen on play back.

The last few games when Chelsea have been very poor e.g. Liverpool and Everton at home we've had clear, clear penalties turned down (Johnson's push on Ivan and Howard felling Ramires). However I've not really gone on about it because we deserved nowt out of the games. Sometimes you get the luck you deserve. Last night, Chelsea were very unlucky not to score via Zhirkov and Ivan. In my opinion the luck via the Luiz decision was earned and the best team won.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 02, 2011, 02:39:43 PM
I think there is a grain of truth in it. It's almost a self fulfilling prophesy and it occurs throughout the sporting world whenever there is human involvement in the adjudication process. The good teams always seem to get proportionally more decisions in their favour than the poor teams. Sometimes it's because they are the better team, and therefore are actually *earning* the fouls or whatever. But sometimes it's because the referees, who are human, know that one team is better than the other, and always look at the match with that in their subconscious.

I think if you look at 'questionable' decisions, the great teams get them in their favour more often than not, simply because they have made themselves great and the referees give them the sub conscious benefit of the doubt. But it's not just Manchester United, indeed it's not just soccer. Look at Kerry, Kilkenny, Tyrone now, the Miami Heat, The Pittsburgh Steelers, All Blacks Rugby. It happens, and it's human nature.

Of course there are the exceptions that prove the rule, but they normally come against other 'big teams' such as last night. I doubt you'd have seen Sunderland get the benefit of those decisions for example.

+1 good post btw AZ

Denn Forever

Don't talk sense Norf.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 02, 2011, 02:57:38 PM

2. Ivanovic and Nani tumbled together. It looked like both over balanced OR Nani pulled him back.
3. The Terry penalty incident would've been very harsh. Ball hit with pace and hands tight by his side. If it was deliberate that's the 'back up keeper' issue sorted.
4. You never mentioned Rooney's dive in the penalty box that should've been a yellow.
5. Luiz definately should've got red. No doubt. Any reason with Hernandez held his face when Luiz fouled him considering the charge was to the chest.
6. No mention of Rooney's charge on Ramieres (I think it's called the 'McCarthy') that should've been a yellow.
7. The penalty I was not too sure about until the after match replays. Definately a pen on play back.

The last few games when Chelsea have been very poor e.g. Liverpool and Everton at home we've had clear, clear penalties turned down (Johnson's push on Ivan and Howard felling Ramires). However I've not really gone on about it because we deserved nowt out of the games. Sometimes you get the luck you deserve. Last night, Chelsea were very unlucky not to score via Zhirkov and Ivan. In my opinion the luck via the Luiz decision was earned and the best team won.

That's a bit extreme. Bad decisions changed the result of the match alright but if we go down that route the season would never get finished.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ross4life

Carroll is in line for his debut on Sunday so..expect a debut goal v Smalling,Brown partnership

After Sunday the run-ins are similar e.g Arselona have Pool at home & Fulham,Stoke,Bolton,Spurs away all potential banana skins

United have Chelsea at home & away to Newcastle,West ham,Blackburn,Arse

After last night's win i expect Chelsea to have a strong finish to the season they will end up with around 75-77 points.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

gawa316

Quote from: ross4life on March 02, 2011, 03:22:08 PM
Carroll is in line for his debut on Sunday so..expect a debut goal v Smalling,Brown partnership

seroiusly doubt that but hope I'm wrong

Boycey

A lot of sense in there AZ and I'd agree with a lot of it but I think there is also another factor in play. Decisions that go against the weaker teams live longer in the memory than ones that go against the good teams. In most cases the good team will overcome the poor decision and go on to win the game or the decision will come when they already have the game well under control wheras the one that goes against the weaker team will probably deprive them of their one chance of winning the game and will attract the ire of their manager/players/fans and bring multiple television replays and column inches.

Bingo

Quote from: Boycey on March 02, 2011, 04:13:58 PM

A lot of sense in there AZ and I'd agree with a lot of it but I think there is also another factor in play. Decisions that go against the weaker teams live longer in the memory than ones that go against the good teams. In most cases the good team will overcome the poor decision and go on to win the game or the decision will come when they already have the game well under control wheras the one that goes against the weaker team will probably deprive them of their one chance of winning the game and will attract the ire of their manager/players/fans and bring multiple television replays and column inches.

Very sensible lads, no fun at all  ;)

Think someone at Liverpool once said something along the lines of; of course we get more penalties than other teams, we spend more time in the oppositions box than any other team. Prob Shankly said it.

thebigfella

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 02, 2011, 02:57:38 PM

3. The Terry penalty incident would've been very harsh. Ball hit with pace and hands tight by his side. If it was deliberate that's the 'back up keeper' issue sorted.4. You never mentioned Rooney's dive in the penalty box that should've been a yellow.

Sorry he deliberately lent into block the ball with his arms leading, Terry does this all the time too. Whether or not they up or by his side it's still a penalty. Ray Wilkins agreed too; even though it would have been harsh  :P, clearly should have been a penalty (they even used Luiz getting a wack in the balls of an example how to defend).

Minder

Ferdinand wil be playing, Jedi mind tricks again.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"