All Ireland Club SFC Semi-finals Feb 2016

Started by general_lee, February 10, 2016, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Beffs on March 19, 2016, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2016, 11:11:56 PM
They can't. Dublin are governed by the same transfer laws as every other GAA County. Bye laws have no jurisdiction effectively since the formation of the DRA. You can have them but the DRA will find a way round them.
In order to get some order on this the GAA have to treat transfers to Dublin differently then every other county and only the Central Council can implement such a rule.

I know all that. But there is nothing to stop the DCB from bringing a motion up at Congress, to petition for having more control over their own transfer process. They are in a unique situation, so the same transfer rules shouldn't necessarily apply to them, as the other 31 counties.

There is always that pesky 2/3 majority to get over. However, the Black Card and Mark motions passed, without too much of a fight, once there was enough will on the floor to "sell" the ideas to delegates. There is nothing to stop the DCB from doing the same thing. There just doesn't seem to be the will there to do anything about it.

Why can they just not propose a general quota of transfers for all clubs, 95% of clubs would have no problem with this as they are not exactly deluged with transfers so why should it not pass.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

moysider

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2016, 01:19:21 AM
Quote from: Beffs on March 19, 2016, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2016, 11:11:56 PM
They can't. Dublin are governed by the same transfer laws as every other GAA County. Bye laws have no jurisdiction effectively since the formation of the DRA. You can have them but the DRA will find a way round them.
In order to get some order on this the GAA have to treat transfers to Dublin differently then every other county and only the Central Council can implement such a rule.

I know all that. But there is nothing to stop the DCB from bringing a motion up at Congress, to petition for having more control over their own transfer process. They are in a unique situation, so the same transfer rules shouldn't necessarily apply to them, as the other 31 counties.

There is always that pesky 2/3 majority to get over. However, the Black Card and Mark motions passed, without too much of a fight, once there was enough will on the floor to "sell" the ideas to delegates. There is nothing to stop the DCB from doing the same thing. There just doesn't seem to be the will there to do anything about it.

Why can they just not propose a general quota of transfers for all clubs, 95% of clubs would have no problem with this as they are not exactly deluged with transfers so why should it not pass.

The problem would be that the top Dublin clubs will fill their quota with top established interounty players. 

shark

Quote from: moysider on March 19, 2016, 12:04:53 AM
It's complicated I suppose.
But Ireland is a small country and is getting smaller as roads are getting better. I don't get it that lads from Mayo etc. have to transfer to Dublin clubs. 30 years ago when Dublin was an hour more distant, my brother trained with a Dublin team but made the journey home for games. I managed a team locally where lads organised their leave (guards and the like) to be around for most games.
I can understand where some lads from small rural junior clubs decided to join a Dublin club to better themselves. In Mayo we should have regional teams like Kerry have where the better junior players can develop but that is not going to happen. I can understand junior players making that decision to step up when they move to the city.
It looks like though, that outsiders that make the big Dublin club teams are already established intercounty players. 
I wasn t aware that Parkinson played in Dublin. Always assumed he was a Portlaoise player. How does a player justify move from Portlaoise to Dublin. It's not the stagecoach era. That's ridiculous.

All true. But the stage does come where 'home' becomes Dublin. And going down to stay in your parents house for the weekend isn't what you'd hoped to be doing at that stage in life. From now until (hopefully) October I will make the round trip from Dublin to training and matches about 12-13 times per month. I'm only an hour away, so it's grand. But if I was from the West, sure how would I make Sunday morning training/game at 10am without leaving my home in Dublin for the entire weekend (having trained Friday night)?

The Hill is Blue

Commiserations to Castlebar and congratulations to Ballyboden who were devastating on the day. It's a pity therefore that the analysis of the game here should have wandered onto the well worn path of "how do we deal with the problem of transfers to Dublin?".

The Ballyboden team that did themselves, their families and their county proud on Thursday was made up mainly of lads who had represented Dublin at various grades in football and/or hurling. Their performance was immense and that fact is not really coming through in this discussion.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on March 19, 2016, 09:25:30 AM
Commiserations to Castlebar and congratulations to Ballyboden who were devastating on the day. It's a pity therefore that the analysis of the game here should have wandered onto the well worn path of "how do we deal with the problem of transfers to Dublin?".

The Ballyboden team that did themselves, their families and their county proud on Thursday was made up mainly of lads who had represented Dublin at various grades in football and/or hurling. Their performance was immense and that fact is not really coming through in this discussion.

The fact that they flew home a keeper from Dubai for the last 6 months is an important point because they wouldn't have won it without them. He'll never play a game for them every again.

That is not what a club is about in most people's eyes.

INDIANA

Quote from: shark on March 19, 2016, 07:20:28 AM
But Ireland is a small country and is getting smaller as roads are getting better. I don't get it that lads from Mayo etc. have to transfer to Dublin clubs. 30 years ago when Dublin was an hour more distant, my brother trained with a Dublin team but made the journey home for games. I managed a team locally where lads organised their leave (guards and the like) to be around for most games.
I can understand where some lads from small rural junior clubs decided to join a Dublin club to better themselves. In Mayo we should have regional teams like Kerry have where the better junior players can develop but that is not going to happen. I can understand junior players making that decision to step up when they move to the city.
It looks like though, that outsiders that make the big Dublin club teams are already established intercounty players. 
I wasn t aware that Parkinson played in Dublin. Always assumed he was a Portlaoise player. How does a player justify move from Portlaoise to Dublin. It's not the stagecoach era. That's ridiculous.

All true. But the stage does come where 'home' becomes Dublin. And going down to stay in your parents house for the weekend isn't what you'd hoped to be doing at that stage in life. From now until (hopefully) October I will make the round trip from Dublin to training and matches about 12-13 times per month. I'm only an hour away, so it's grand. But if I was from the West, sure how would I make Sunday morning training/game at 10am without leaving my home in Dublin for the entire weekend (having trained Friday night)?

I think if you're from Mayo/Donegal it's not realistic on a long term basis to travel back.

Nobody had a massive issue with Durcan's initial transfer -however flying him home from Dubai went against everything the GAA is supposed to be about.

Overall ballyboden were littered with Dublin minor/u21/senior players . People have to remember that it's a lot harder to get picked for Dublin then it is for 80 percent of counties. That was al missed in the pre match analysis.

maigheo

Quote from: INDIANA on March 19, 2016, 05:13:53 PM

I think if you're from Mayo/Donegal it's not realistic on a long term basis to travel back.

Nobody had a massive issue with Durcan's initial transfer -however flying him home from Dubai went against everything the GAA is supposed to be about.

Overall ballyboden were littered with Dublin minor/u21/senior players . People have to remember that it's a lot harder to get picked for Dublin then it is for 80 percent of counties. That was al missed in the pre match analysis.
Thank the Lord that you are around not to miss stuff like this.

The Hill is Blue

It's not today or yesterday that players were flown home for games. The first ones to do it were Mayo when they brought Padraig Carney back from New York to play against Dublin in the 1954 National League semi-final.

However the bottom line on this one is that Ballyboden's win was a huge team effort and no one player can be given credit for the result.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

INDIANA

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on March 19, 2016, 05:33:15 PM

It's not today or yesterday that players were flown home for games. The first ones to do it were Mayo when they brought Padraig Carney back from New York to play against Dublin in the 1954 National League semi-final.

However the bottom line on this one is that Ballyboden's win was a huge team effort and no one player can be given credit for the result.

Yeah maybe but its tainted in my view. Broke all the ethos of the club in a lot of people's eyes. So the bottom line comes with a caveat.

armaghniac

Mayo is a county not a club. Durkan had little enough connection to Ballyboden, he wasn't from there and he doesn't live there

Of course.

fearsiuil

Quote from: INDIANA on March 19, 2016, 05:43:28 PM

Yeah maybe but its tainted in my view. Broke all the ethos of the club in a lot of people's eyes. So the bottom line comes with a caveat.
You're own club Vincents not exactly immune to country bucks. O'Shea Kerry, Maloney & Kelly Mayo along with Coughlan from Tipp on your first AI club winning team.
Just added Varley Mayo and Breathnach Galway to the list this year. Hardly in a position to be taking the high moral ground. Long time from the Vincents terms of the past who were all Dubs...if maybe not from Marino!

INDIANA

Quote from: fearsiuil on March 19, 2016, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 19, 2016, 05:43:28 PM

You're own club Vincents not exactly immune to country bucks. O'Shea Kerry, Maloney & Kelly Mayo along with Coughlan from Tipp on your first AI club winning team.
Just added Varley Mayo and Breathnach Galway to the list this year. Hardly in a position to be taking the high moral ground. Long time from the Vincents terms of the past who were all Dubs...if maybe not from Marino!

o Se never played for kerry at senior level. Himself and Coughlan didn't start on the team for 6 months even in the senior league because they weren't good enough. Neither were senior inter county players when they came to the club. So  I'm afraid I don't agree. Maloney hadn't played a match for about 9 months either when he joined. So really the only live senior county player on the 2008 team taken in was Kelly.

Now I've already spoken out about the 4 players we've taken in this year. Not in favour of it and neither are the grass-roots members of the Club. The Dublin club scene has a real problem in relation to the outside players issue. Boden have also signed two more players for the next campaign.

armaghniac

Quote from: INDIANA on March 20, 2016, 01:04:10 PM
Now I've already spoken out about the 4 players we've taken in this year. Not in favour of it and neither are the grass-roots members of the Club. The Dublin club scene has a real problem in relation to the outside players issue. Boden have also signed two more players for the next campaign.

"Signed" is a telling choice of phrase.

galwayman

QuoteBut Ireland is a small country and is getting smaller as roads are getting better. I don't get it that lads from Mayo etc. have to transfer to Dublin clubs.
I take your point on this but at the same time it's not an easy thing to do long term.
I myself was based in Dublin for 2 years, trained during the week in Dublin and went home for matches. My brother is doing the same thing right now as well.
Now my girlfriend was based at home as well so it was easier for me to be coming home most weekends. And I had absolutely no interest in playing football for any club but my home club.
But after a couple of years of doing that - if you are going to be living long term in Dublin - I don't think it's a realistic choice to be coming home every weekend or certainly 3 out of every 4 weekends anyway.

Put it this way - that was over 10 years ago for me & I'm still playing club football now. I know that wouldn't be the case now if I was still living in Dublin. I know that I wouldn't have been able to sustain it over the longer term. You can't settle and have a proper life somewhere if you are gone "home" every weekend. It's not feasible imo