How does the current Dublin team compare with the Tyrone team 2003-2008?

Started by johnpower, September 22, 2015, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on September 24, 2015, 11:51:26 PM
Without wading through the previous posts I'd say both teams on a par at the moment.

Think the 3d win for us this year is the bare minimum Dublin should have won with this  once in a lifetime batch of players we have. Beating kerry three times the icing on the cake.
Dubs have a bit more style than Throne had.  Beating Kerry of course goes with the 2.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 24, 2015, 07:19:29 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2015, 02:55:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 24, 2015, 01:53:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2015, 12:46:57 PM
Can't see how Flynn can be left out by anyone. He has a strong claim to be the best footballer in Ireland over the pact number of years and although not as classy a footballer as Connolly or Cooper etc. he is probably the prototype Gaelic footballer - good in the air & on the breaks, tremendous kick passer, good score taker, brilliant athlete and has put more men on their arse with a shoulder than most current footballers. A better wing forward than Galvin or Dooher IMO.

The fact you may actually believe that is risible.

Flynn isn't even the best wing forward on his team.

If was a Tyrone player you'd have him as the greatest footballer, rock start, actor and destroyer of worlds. To say he isn't the best wing forward on his own team is a nonsense comment. Connolly is the better footballer but Flynn is right up there as a player. The Barcelona players aren't all rubbish just because Messi is their best player.

I wouldn't. Flynn is not in the same league as Dooher, not as good as McGinley either.

You may not but your team shows how completely one eyed you are. Most neutrals would see Dublin as the better team simply because they will certainly end up with several more titles than tyrone. That said I would put dooher up alongside Flynn as among the best wing half forwards of the modern generation. They would both have to be part of a composite team. Gormley, Cavanagh, Dooher, Canavan and O'Neill would be the only tyrone definites. Jordan is a possible but probably about 50/50 with McCarthy. McCaffrey has to be on the team, he's probably the most destructive player from deep in the current era. I would have at least 9 Dubs in a composite team in recognition of the fact they have won 3 and will certainly win at least 2 or 3 more with the talent they have at the moment.

Syferus

Quote from: lenny on September 25, 2015, 03:44:57 PM
Can't see how Flynn can be left out by anyone. He has a strong claim to be the best footballer in Ireland over the pact number of years and although not as classy a footballer as Connolly or Cooper etc. he is probably the prototype Gaelic footballer - good in the air & on the breaks, tremendous kick passer, good score taker, brilliant athlete and has put more men on their arse with a shoulder than most current footballers. A better wing forward than Galvin or Dooher IMO.

If was a Tyrone player you'd have him as the greatest footballer, rock start, actor and destroyer of worlds. To say he isn't the best wing forward on his own team is a nonsense comment. Connolly is the better footballer but Flynn is right up there as a player. The Barcelona players aren't all rubbish just because Messi is their best player.

I wouldn't. Flynn is not in the same league as Dooher, not as good as McGinley either.

You may not but your team shows how completely one eyed you are. Most neutrals would see Dublin as the better team simply because they will certainly end up with several more titles than tyrone. That said I would put dooher up alongside Flynn as among the best wing half forwards of the modern generation. They would both have to be part of a composite team. Gormley, Cavanagh, Dooher, Canavan and O'Neill would be the only tyrone definites. Jordan is a possible but probably about 50/50 with McCarthy. McCaffrey has to be on the team, he's probably the most destructive player from deep in the current era. I would have at least 9 Dubs in a composite team in recognition of the fact they have won 3 and will certainly win at least 2 or 3 more with the talent they have at the moment.

Keegan is better attacking and defending than young Jack. I'd have him No. 2/3 at HB depending on how well Harte is playing. Doesn't suit CHB either, where as the other two can at least do a good job there.

redhandefender

Quote from: lenny on September 25, 2015, 03:44:57 PM

Since when has a Derry man become neutral about their better in every way more successful neighbours! You are as neutral as ballbag brolly!

Absolutely pointless thread. You can't compare the 2 counties given the change in culture, preparation and the finances and luxury that the current Dublin crop have compared to that tyrone team. Obviously far better prepared and massive advantage of correct amount of rest and preparation.

Also Dublin are expected to win, hold all the aces with the Gaa whereas Tyrone came from nowhere.

Zulu

How did Tyrone come from nowhere? I find it odd that Dublin are deemed to have all these advantages when Tyrone, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal (to name a few) also have major advantages over the likes of Limerick, Clare, Carlow, Leitrim etc. It's the GAA way.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2015, 04:11:36 PM
How did Tyrone come from nowhere? I find it odd that Dublin are deemed to have all these advantages when Tyrone, Kerry, Mayo, Donegal (to name a few) also have major advantages over the likes of Limerick, Clare, Carlow, Leitrim etc. It's the GAA way.

0 AIs b4 03

Zulu

But All Ireland finalists before, regular enough contenders for Ulster and had enjoyed significant underage success in the years in and around 2003 - hardly nowhere.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2015, 04:34:59 PM
But All Ireland finalists before, regular enough contenders for Ulster and had enjoyed significant underage success in the years in and around 2003 - hardly nowhere.

Relative to Dublin tho they did come from nowhere. Dublin are perennial contenders

On the one hand it shouldn't count as a factor as its not actually on the pitch stuff we are talking about. On the other hand there is a huge psychological barrier to be overcome, which is significant, you only have to look at Mayo.

Zulu

To be fair Dublin had their own psychological barriers to overcome. They had been beaten in Croke Park by the likes of Tyrone and Kerry in big games and hadn't won an All Ireland in over a decade. I'm not saying Dublin and Tyrone had the same journey but Dublin are winning All Irelands because they have got their house in order and have brilliant players. Tyrone were winning All Irelands when they had the same combination. They are still doing great work I'm sure but don't have (as) great players anymore.

INDIANA

Tyrone had millions of pounds of sterling invested by the British Govt as well. They have as much access to finance as Dublin have.

From the Bunker

Tyrone came from nowhere. Just the recent success has masked where Tyrone were in the football landscape. Tyrones Ulster titles reads as follows 1956, 1957, 1973, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010. Experience and tradition carry huge advantages in GAA. It is really had to eat at the top table.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Zulu on September 25, 2015, 05:03:17 PM
To be fair Dublin had their own psychological barriers to overcome. They had been beaten in Croke Park by the likes of Tyrone and Kerry in big games and hadn't won an All Ireland in over a decade. I'm not saying Dublin and Tyrone had the same journey but Dublin are winning All Irelands because they have got their house in order and have brilliant players. Tyrone were winning All Irelands when they had the same combination. They are still doing great work I'm sure but don't have (as) great players anymore.

Yeah they had obstacles but they were nothing in comparison to Tyrone's barriers. Dublin are rarely out of contender status and almost never out of top 5 so they were not coming from the same place as Tyrone.

For me the question is whether or not you include this when comparing the teams. But since it says something about character I would include it. So I think Tyrone are superior in this area, but Dublin havent faced the same type of mental barriers so who is to say that they wouldnt have overcome them as well...?

Then again since we are comparing 2 different teams from 2 different eras the whole thing is subjective anyway. Its all down to opinion.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on September 25, 2015, 06:34:12 PM

Tyrone had millions of pounds of sterling invested by the British Govt as well. They have as much access to finance as Dublin have.

Plus the laundered supporters club money from the bag men and the centre of excellence.

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2015, 06:55:38 PM

Tyrone came from nowhere. Just the recent success has masked where Tyrone were in the football landscape. Tyrones Ulster titles reads as follows 1956, 1957, 1973, 1984, 1986, 1989, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010. Experience and tradition carry huge advantages in GAA. It is really had to eat at the top table.

A number of Ulster teams have a similar title distribution.  Cavan were ridiculously dominant and had 38 titles by the late sixties (one since ). Donegal had none until 1972. Didn't even reach a final until 1963.

From the Bunker

Quote from: J70 on September 25, 2015, 08:25:50 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2015, 06:55:38 PM

A number of Ulster teams have a similar title distribution.  Cavan were ridiculously dominant and had 38 titles by the late sixties (one since ). Donegal had none until 1972. Didn't even reach a final until 1963.

Agreed on Donegal, 1972, 1974, 1983, 1990, 1992, 2011, 2012, 2014 hard to build up a Croke park tradition on that! Cavan were the kings of Ulster up to the late 60's and thing just collapsed after that.

Although Mayo have had moderate success of late. A lot of damage to Mayo football happened between 1955 and 1981 where we won only 2 Connacht titles. Two days in Croke Park in that period. Hard to imagine for present supporters.