Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Main Street, you say it's a work of fiction but surely even in a work of fiction the director should make the film as realistic as possible. Characters speaking the language of the country they're from seems like a pretty basic requirement.

Eamonn, why do you think Russians/Germans speaking in English/American accents works well?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film at the time and I quickly accept that the director has taken the decision that he's taken, but from an artistic point of view it seems like a massive shortcut to take.

mrdeeds

Quick question that has probably being asked before but I've a young child and want to watch the Star Wars movies with him. What order do I do it in? The order they came out or sequence?

Tony Baloney

People have said the order they came out in. They're wrong - the storyline is confusing enough, so chronological order (of the story) would be best.

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 30, 2016, 05:55:50 PM
Main Street, you say it's a work of fiction but surely even in a work of fiction the director should make the film as realistic as possible. Characters speaking the language of the country they're from seems like a pretty basic requirement.
Enemy at the Gates  had mainly Russian and  German characters and you expect as a minimum that the actors speak the language of the country their characters are from  ???

Even when speaking the correct language of the character, did we not have a Michael Collins played by an actor with a strong Dublin accent, Brendan Gleeson? Just because someone from outer Hicksville might be fooled by the main irish character being played by an actor having an irish accent, doesn't fool me. If  authenticity of accent/language mattered so much to you, you would not be able to appreciate many films.
Not many actors have the linguistic authenticity of a Niall Toibin.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on December 30, 2016, 07:37:43 PM
Enemy at the Gates  had mainly Russian and  German characters and you expect as a minimum that the actors speak the language of the country their characters are from  ???

Even when speaking the correct language of the character, did we not have a Michael Collins played by an actor with a strong Dublin accent, Brendan Gleeson? Just because someone from outer Hicksville might be fooled by the main irish character being played by an actor having an irish accent, doesn't fool me. If  authenticity of accent/language mattered so much to you, you would not be able to appreciate many films.

No.

Eamonnca1

Eamonn, why do you think Russians/Germans speaking in English/American accents works well?

I don't like them speaking with American accents, but an English accent works well enough for me. At least they got the right side of the world. Next step up from that is speaking English with a German/Russian accent, but best of all is in the native tongue with subtitles.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mrdeeds on December 30, 2016, 06:05:01 PM
Quick question that has probably being asked before but I've a young child and want to watch the Star Wars movies with him. What order do I do it in? The order they came out or sequence?

Doesn't really matter as long as you skip the prequels. They're worthless and I hope they get removed from canon and re-done.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on December 30, 2016, 07:49:04 PM
No.

If Liam Neeson had played Michael Collins in his native Ballymena accent, that'd have been hilarious.

Esmarelda

Not sure what the emoji is about. Cast Russian and German actors is what I meant.

And I clearly said it doesn't bother me that much. I'm just surprised that it's done.

I think enough has been said about your Michael Collins comment  :-X

Linkbox

Sing Street. Good enough. Bonus points for the music. Lost the run of itself with the ending.

Eye in the sky. Very good thriller. Last one from the brilliant Alan Rickman.

Syferus

Quote from: Hardy on December 30, 2016, 07:49:04 PM

No.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0808/807723-brendan-gleeson-is-michael-collins/

mrdeeds

Watched Captain Philips. Good movie with a couple excellent performances. Also watched Green Room which is a violent thriller. However it is excellent.

Boycey

Had the misfortune of watching Bridget Jones baby the other night, sweet Jesus!!

My woman couldn't master Kodi but she's a dab hand with the IPTV player, the quality of films we watch will go down hill sharply..

lurganblue

Let the wife pick the film on our latest cinema trip.  I wanted to go see Sully but no, we ended up at Collateral Beauty (Will Smith and Ed Norton).  Sure didnt she cry throughout the last half of it fs! As chick flicks go, i've seen worse but i would hardly be recommending it.

JoG2

Over Christmas

David Brent - 6/10. Disappointed tbh. Love the show. Not the same without Merchant involved

Deepwater Horizon - 7.5/10. Very good

Sully - 7.5/10. Again, very good

Inferno - 6.5/10. Watchable

Jack Reacher 2 - 6.4 - Decent enough, not as good as the first