Kildare V Tyrone QR3 20/07/13

Started by God14, July 15, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Cian O'Neill would definitely take the job but I'm not sure he would do it before he has had a job as the top man somewhere else first. The Kildare job is definitely something he wants, unless somethings changed in the past year or two.

I think lads are being quite harsh on McGeeney which might be something to do with the Seanie Johnston business. As a manger/coach I think he has done a good job, criticising him for not solving the midfield and centre back issues is harsh when the players to solve those issues may not be there or fit. I would suggest that McGeeney and his backroom would have a fair idea about football but in a sport where there's no transfer system it can be impossible to solve problem areas for any coach.

Ohtoohtobe

I think the underwhelming names being touted here show that changing would be rash. James Horan and Jim McGuinness were obviously going to be outstanding managers when they took over. There is no candidate like that in Kildare and therefore no need to get rid of someone who has proven himself a good manager.

As for where Mayo "rank" the same people that buy into "rankings" were saying in 2011 that Kildare were "top three". Not saying Mayo are not a good side, they've beaten Cork and Dublin in championship and are obviously contenders and I would say they are a bit better than Kildare.

However, what would have happened if Kildare and Mayo had swapped places in the draw this year? Doesn't take a big leap of the imagination to see Kildare beating Galway, Roscommon and London and Mayo losing to Dublin.

Zulu

Not sure there is much evidence to say McGuinness and Horan were obviously going to be outstanding managers. Cian O'Neill would be a fine manager I'd say, he's an intelligent man and a very good coach who has now worked with 3 very good set ups who have all big game experience.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2013, 03:29:13 PM
Cian O'Neill would definitely take the job but I'm not sure he would do it before he has had a job as the top man somewhere else first. The Kildare job is definitely something he wants, unless somethings changed in the past year or two.

I think lads are being quite harsh on McGeeney which might be something to do with the Seanie Johnston business. As a manger/coach I think he has done a good job, criticising him for not solving the midfield and centre back issues is harsh when the players to solve those issues may not be there or fit. I would suggest that McGeeney and his backroom would have a fair idea about football but in a sport where there's no transfer system it can be impossible to solve problem areas for any coach.

You're probably right there. A lot of people lost a lot of faith over the transfer business. To be fair to him regarding centre back and midfield, Gary White was probably seen as one possible solution there this year after some excellent displays in the club championship but he had to drop off the panel early on during the league.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2013, 03:37:28 PM
Not sure there is much evidence to say McGuinness and Horan were obviously going to be outstanding managers. Cian O'Neill would be a fine manager I'd say, he's an intelligent man and a very good coach who has now worked with 3 very good set ups who have all big game experience.

How long before the Cian O'Neill for Kildare takes root? Some journo is probably filing copy already.

#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2013, 01:18:09 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 12:20:50 PM
McGeeney really is a horror, how about putting up ur own hands and saying that you've done f**k all in Leinster for 6 years, and one semi-final doesnt cut it. If he was going to do anything he'd have done it by now.

I suppose hes happy (allegedly) coining it in with zero results.
I suppose its down to Kildare Co board and supporters, are they happy being the 8th-12th best team in Ireland (if even this year) year after year

Not sure I'd agree with that. I think he has clearly done a good job and while he has had some shocking results and failed to take a really big scalp he stills has done a good job. In a good number of big games, Donegal (QF), Down (SF) and Dublin (LF) they suffered more than their fair share of bad luck. He has apparently done a great job of helping to develop football outside of the senior set up and he has got Kildare to a competitive level. If they can bring a few of these talented underage players through then I expect them to be All Ireland contenders sooner rather than later.
to be fair to McGeeney , he has given everything as a manager for kildare.
6 years is a long time without going stale- which I think he has.
it cannot be bad luck with all those close losses.
I think McGeeney has brought Kldare on in many ways, but in order to 'go over the top' they need a new man.

This is like Tyrone in the late 90's I think it was with Ball taking over as manager after piloting them to underage success- he was seen as the messiah. IT turned out the Tyronies thought he was more like a 'naughty boy' as he 'squandered' their talent.
Mickey harte then stepped in, made a few changes and took them all the way.
No doubt that Ball had paved the way, but he just couldnt deliver titles , despite all the talent.

kildare in the same position now. loads of talent, young talent and a man who has given his best, but is still in his first job.
its not roy of the rovers, there is no fairytale most of the time in GAA- McGeeney will be far better set up in his next managerial position. I believe he is an honest guy who has done as much as he can.
However Kildare now need a micko, kernan etc and they will be genuine AI contenders.
They have the players.
I dont believe they have a manager that is good enough within the county. yet.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 23, 2013, 04:57:49 PM
McGeeney really is a horror, how about putting up ur own hands and saying that you've done f**k all in Leinster for 6 years, and one semi-final doesnt cut it. If he was going to do anything he'd have done it by now.

I suppose its down to Kildare Co board and supporters, are they happy being the 8th-12th best team in Ireland (if even this year) year after year

Not sure I'd agree with that. I think he has clearly done a good job and while he has had some shocking results and failed to take a really big scalp he stills has done a good job. In a good number of big games, Donegal (QF), Down (SF) and Dublin (LF) they suffered more than their fair share of bad luck. He has apparently done a great job of helping to develop football outside of the senior set up and he has got Kildare to a competitive level. If they can bring a few of these talented underage players through then I expect them to be All Ireland contenders sooner rather than later.
I think McGeeney has brought Kldare on in many ways, but in order to 'go over the top' they need a new man.

This is like Tyrone in the late 90's I think it was with Ball taking over as manager after piloting them to underage success- he was seen as the messiah. IT turned out the Tyronies thought he was more like a 'naughty boy' as he 'squandered' their talent.
No doubt that Ball had paved the way, but he just couldnt deliver titles , despite all the talent.

kildare in the same position now. loads of talent, young talent and a man who has given his best, but is still in his first job.
its not roy of the rovers, there is no fairytale most of the time in GAA- McGeeney will be far better set up in his next managerial position. I believe he is an honest guy who has done as much as he can.
However Kildare now need a micko, kernan etc and they will be genuine AI contenders.
They have the players.

I'm not sure that you have the chronological order correct here. Mickey took over from Big Art and Eugene McKenna. Danny took the senior team when the all ireland winning U21 team that included Canavan, Cush et al. The team Mickey took over was mainly his own U21 squad including McAnallen, Jordan, McGuigan etc
That was never a square ball!!

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 23, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

They have the players.

I'm not sure that you have the chronological order correct here. Mickey took over from Big Art and Eugene McKenna. Danny took the senior team when the all ireland winning U21 team that included Canavan, Cush et al. The team Mickey took over was mainly his own U21 squad including McAnallen, Jordan, McGuigan etc

And anyhow the major, major difference is that prior to winning Sam in 03, Tyrone had won two All-Ireland U21s and an All-Ireland minor in the previous three years, also won four in a row Ulster U21s and two out of three Ulster minors. Hardly comparable to Kildare's one Leinster U21 and one Leinster minor.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 23, 2013, 03:31:31 PM
However, what would have happened if Kildare and Mayo had swapped places in the draw this year? Doesn't take a big leap of the imagination to see Kildare beating Galway, Roscommon and London and Mayo losing to Dublin.

Well in essence over the past two years we have swapped draws, both have played Dublin, Donegal and Cork over two seasons.

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 02:55:39 PM

sorry mate you're deluding yourself in you think Mayo are ahead of Kildare. Dublin Kerry Cork they are not. Win an All-Ireland first.

Ratings are only for insecure supporters looking for some sort of validation.

Good to see you can take critism of Kildare there Dinny, must be the McGeeney school of reaction  ::)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ross matt

Quote from: Zulu on July 23, 2013, 02:38:39 PM
QuoteSix years is long enough IMO to get a team where they are going,

I don't think that's a given. Kildare have a very strong Dublin to get over each year and a number of decent teams like Meath, Wexford, Louth and Longford that are good enough to beat a lot of teams outside the very highest level.

QuoteBlaming bad luck is a cop out, luck evens out.

Nobody's blaming bad luck but to ignore the bad decisions they've suffered in big games is to ignore the reality of the situation.

QuoteYou only have to look at ourselves and Donegal for a blueprint for being at the top table, remember we lost to Sligo and Longford, Donegal got hammered by Armagh in 2010. Along come two managers with a solid game plan and transformed both teams to where they are now.
Likewise Cavan and Monaghan look like similar candidates from this year, I'm not sure why you have to wait until 2016.
I'm all for things taking time but he has had more than enough chances.

That's fair enough but you can't simply compare counties like that. Kildare have done very well but have lacked the quality forwards that might have pushed them past one or two of the teams that beat them. Both Horan and McGuinness have done well but  I'm not sure Mayo would be celebrating a three in a row if they were in any other province and McGuinness might have got ahead of the pack for a year or two but I think they might struggle from here on in.

The bottom line is you have to ask how far off are Kildare from where Kildare should be and I think they are close enough to where they should be. Who else could come in and get them up a level?

I think that's a great point Zulu. McGeeney has maxed them out. Which is a compliment to him and them. But have Kieran and Kildare reached a point which John O'Mahony once referred to as "same voice syndrome" in a dressingroom?  No matter how good he is at what he does and no matter how much the likes of John Doyle etc want him to stay there surely must be a stage where things all go a little stale. I've total admiration for McGeeney as a player, a manager and what I know of him as a person and I would have loved for Kildare to win some silverware but it's hard to see any immediate progress coming for either of them in the current situation. He would be a great asset as a manager of another county and they might get a fresh boost from a new manager.

ross matt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM
Like I said

You only have to look at ourselves and Donegal for a blueprint for being at the top table, remember we lost to Sligo and Longford, Donegal got hammered by Armagh in 2010. Along come two managers with a solid game plan and transformed both teams to where they are now.
Likewise Cavan and Monaghan look like similar candidates from this year, I'm not sure why you have to wait until 2016.

sorry mate you're deluding yourself in you think Mayo are ahead of Kildare. Dublin Kerry Cork they are not. Win an All-Ireland first.

Jaysus Dinny! Normally rate your posts very highly but that one seems very reactionary and unlike you!
Do you really not think Mayo would beat Kildare?
And "win an All Ireland first"????
When have Kildare even got close since '98 as opposed to all Mayo's AI final appearances since?
I would be very confident Mayo would beat the present Kerry or Cork sides. Even though they've beaten the Dubs in Croker in recent times I would put them as slightly behind them this time as AI favourites.
Not at all slagging off Kildare... I'm a Rossie so the Early connection would always steer me to hoping ye do well but at the same time I think you're being at best deluded or at worst disrespectful to a fine, well prepared and ambitious Mayo side.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ross matt on July 23, 2013, 09:59:14 PM
Like I said

You only have to look at ourselves and Donegal for a blueprint for being at the top table, remember we lost to Sligo and Longford, Donegal got hammered by Armagh in 2010. Along come two managers with a solid game plan and transformed both teams to where they are now.

Jaysus Dinny! Normally rate your posts very highly but that one seems very reactionary and unlike you!
When have Kildare even got close since '98 as opposed to all Mayo's AI final appearances since?
I would be very confident Mayo would beat the present Kerry or Cork sides. Even though they've beaten the Dubs in Croker in recent times I would put them as slightly behind them this time as AI favourites.
Not at all slagging off Kildare... I'm a Rossie so the Early connection would always steer me to hoping ye do well but at the same time I think you're being at best deluded or at worst disrespectful to a fine, well prepared an ambitious Mayo side.

It's about context Mayo4sam seems to judge McGeeney as a failure with no reference to Kildare's history I.e. 2 Leinsters in almost 60 years. Ignoring provinces Mayo are as far from winning Sam as Kildare, this is based purely using All-Ireland success as the only barometer. They will not beat 2 of Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone and Donegal and in that insistance they are the same as the other 28 teams. All IMHO of course.
#newbridgeornowhere

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 23, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

They have the players.

And if fairness to Danny he did not get managing his u21s at senior level until after Dublin then Meath had done them over. Mickey got his u21s at senior level while they were still fresh and un-trodden upon.

ross matt

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 23, 2013, 09:59:14 PM
Like I said

Not at all slagging off Kildare... I'm a Rossie so the Early connection would always steer me to hoping ye do well but at the same time I think you're being at best deluded or at worst disrespectful to a fine, well prepared an ambitious Mayo side.

It's about context Mayo4sam seems to judge McGeeney as a failure with no reference to Kildare's history I.e. 2 Leinsters in almost 60 years. Ignoring provinces Mayo are as far from winning Sam as Kildare, this is based purely using All-Ireland success as the only barometer. They will not beat 2 of Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone and Donegal and in that insistance they are the same as the other 28 teams. All IMHO of course.

All IYHO of course as what I post is all IMHO. Think Mayo capable of beating Kerry, Cork & Donegal. They are much nearer winning Sam than Kildare....... Last year's AI final a case in point. However don't agree with Mayo4sam that McGeeney was a failure.

Hardy

Quote from: orangeman on July 23, 2013, 11:35:40 AM
Tough talking.

Kildare football boss Kieran McGeeney has hit out at critics of his team on local radio following their All-Ireland Qualifier defeat to Tyrone.

McGeeney was speaking to KFM where he branded some analysts as "cowards." He did not specify who he was speaking about, but he did add that they were former players, had experience on the field and that it was his policy to ignore such comments.

"You just have to keep going. There are people out there who will tear you apart," explained the Armagh native.

"I played with a few of these boys and these fellas were cowards when they were playing and they are cowards now when they tear these fellas apart.

"You just have to accept that from people – you have good people out there too. They will analyse the game and they will see the sloppiness.

"These fellas were cowards when they were playing and they are cowards now"

"You have to take that sort of thing on the chin. That's good analysis of a game. You have to take that and move on. The naysayers and the people who are there for entertainment, you just ignore them and get on with it."

Last weekend's defeat for the Lilywhites marked the end of McGeeney's sixth season in charge.

He was non-committal about his future when asked by RTÉ Sport, only to state that whatever decision is made has to be in the interests of football in Kildare.

Support for the job he has done so far did come from veteran player Johnny Doyle, but it remains to be seen whether the county board will grant McGeeney another extension.

Those quotes have been heavily edited. Where are the seven "likes" in every sentence, like?