Kildare V Tyrone QR3 20/07/13

Started by God14, July 15, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Is cian oneill not a conditioning coach?

ONeill

That's some slight on the entire Armagh team. Bellew excluded of course.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hound

Ronan Sweeney was fairly gushing in his praise of McGeeney last night on Newstalk. 100% behind him staying on.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 23, 2013, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM
Like I said
I suppose its down to Kildare Co board and supporters, are they happy being the 8th-12th best team in Ireland (if even this year) year after year

You only have to look at ourselves and Donegal for a blueprint for being at the top table, remember we lost to Sligo and Longford, Donegal got hammered by Armagh in 2010. Along come two managers with a solid game plan and transformed both teams to where they are now.
Likewise Cavan and Monaghan look like similar candidates from this year, I'm not sure why you have to wait until 2016.
I'm all for things taking time but he has had more than enough chances.

sorry mate you're deluding yourself in you think Mayo are ahead of Kildare. Dublin Kerry Cork they are not. Win an All-Ireland first.

Jaysus Dinny! Normally rate your posts very highly but that one seems very reactionary and unlike you!
Do you really not think Mayo would beat Kildare?
And "win an All Ireland first"????
When have Kildare even got close since '98 as opposed to all Mayo's AI final appearances since?
I would be very confident Mayo would beat the present Kerry or Cork sides. Even though they've beaten the Dubs in Croker in recent times I would put them as slightly behind them this time as AI favourites.
Not at all slagging off Kildare... I'm a Rossie so the Early connection would always steer me to hoping ye do well but at the same time I think you're being at best deluded or at worst disrespectful to a fine, well prepared an ambitious Mayo side.

It's about context Mayo4sam seems to judge McGeeney as a failure with no reference to Kildare's history I.e. 2 Leinsters in almost 60 years. Ignoring provinces Mayo are as far from winning Sam as Kildare, this is based purely using All-Ireland success as the only barometer. They will not beat 2 of Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone and Donegal and in that insistance they are the same as the other 28 teams. All IMHO of course.

Absolutely I'm ignoring history, I dont think it has any place in judging a manager. Also its a bit misleading, Kildare now has a huge population it wouldnt have had previously but thats beside the point.
I would say that over the last 15 years Kildare are a serious football county.
This group of players is probably on a par with what ye had in 1998, as you've said good teams dont come along that often in Kildare, they have completely under-performed in Leinster, and given that is what u benchmarked above a Leinster title would be a starting point. By any measure McGeeneys six years have been not just average but poor, one leinster final apperance is on a par with Louth and below Meath and Wexford.

I take on your point about Mayo getting an easy ride through Connacht, I dont think it does Mayo or Connacht teams any favours in the long run but this year and last year it is favouring us, no doubt or argument, we can peak for three games, I think its a huge advantage.

As for Mayo being as far from winning the All Ireland, well that is just nonsense, I'm glad RossMatt pulled you up on it

.....................Plus you have to be in the championship to win it  ;) (couldnt resist)

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 24, 2013, 10:47:36 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 10:31:58 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 23, 2013, 09:59:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2013, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM
Like I said
I suppose its down to Kildare Co board and supporters, are they happy being the 8th-12th best team in Ireland (if even this year) year after year

You only have to look at ourselves and Donegal for a blueprint for being at the top table, remember we lost to Sligo and Longford, Donegal got hammered by Armagh in 2010. Along come two managers with a solid game plan and transformed both teams to where they are now.
Likewise Cavan and Monaghan look like similar candidates from this year, I'm not sure why you have to wait until 2016.
I'm all for things taking time but he has had more than enough chances.

sorry mate you're deluding yourself in you think Mayo are ahead of Kildare. Dublin Kerry Cork they are not. Win an All-Ireland first.

Jaysus Dinny! Normally rate your posts very highly but that one seems very reactionary and unlike you!
Do you really not think Mayo would beat Kildare?
And "win an All Ireland first"????
When have Kildare even got close since '98 as opposed to all Mayo's AI final appearances since?
I would be very confident Mayo would beat the present Kerry or Cork sides. Even though they've beaten the Dubs in Croker in recent times I would put them as slightly behind them this time as AI favourites.
Not at all slagging off Kildare... I'm a Rossie so the Early connection would always steer me to hoping ye do well but at the same time I think you're being at best deluded or at worst disrespectful to a fine, well prepared an ambitious Mayo side.

It's about context Mayo4sam seems to judge McGeeney as a failure with no reference to Kildare's history I.e. 2 Leinsters in almost 60 years. Ignoring provinces Mayo are as far from winning Sam as Kildare, this is based purely using All-Ireland success as the only barometer. They will not beat 2 of Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Tyrone and Donegal and in that insistance they are the same as the other 28 teams. All IMHO of course.

Absolutely I'm ignoring history, I dont think it has any place in judging a manager. Also its a bit misleading, Kildare now has a huge population it wouldnt have had previously but thats beside the point.
I would say that over the last 15 years Kildare are a serious football county.
This group of players is probably on a par with what ye had in 1998, as you've said good teams dont come along that often in Kildare, they have completely under-performed in Leinster, and given that is what u benchmarked above a Leinster title would be a starting point. By any measure McGeeneys six years have been not just average but poor, one leinster final apperance is on a par with Louth and below Meath and Wexford.

I take on your point about Mayo getting an easy ride through Connacht, I dont think it does Mayo or Connacht teams any favours in the long run but this year and last year it is favouring us, no doubt or argument, we can peak for three games, I think its a huge advantage.

As for Mayo being as far from winning the All Ireland, well that is just nonsense, I'm glad RossMatt pulled you up on it

.....................Plus you have to be in the championship to win it  ;) (couldnt resist)

No it's not. Not even close.

Donnellys Hollow

Only 2 or 3 players max from the current team would have gotten on that team from the late nineties.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Mayo4Sam

I'm sorry but the team that drew with Donegal in 2011 and should have won were as good as that 98 team IMO.

The team that played on Saturday were not
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 24, 2013, 11:53:28 AM
I'm sorry but the team that drew with Donegal in 2011 and should have won were as good as that 98 team IMO.

Only Johnny Doyle of that team would have been guaranteed a place on the 1998 team ahead of Pauric Graven. Mick Foley possibly ahead of Ronan Quinn, Emmet Bolton possibly ahead of John Finn and Éamonn Callaghan possibly ahead of Eddie McCormack. All 3 of them would be 50/50 calls. The 1998 and 2000 teams had much more quality in every other position.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Zulu

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 24, 2013, 09:19:21 AM

Is cian oneill not a conditioning coach?

No, he's a lecturer in PE at UL but he would be very much a football coach with an expertise in conditioning rather than a conditioning coach. He has managed UL Sigerson teams before and would have had a strong say in football matters when involved with Limerick. He would certainly see himself as a football manager/coach rather than a conditioning coach and I would say the role he has with Kerry will be the last one where he is not the manager of a county team. I think the Kildare job is a great one for any aspiring coach if you were given a 3 year term.

DuffleKing

Has he managed at club or county underage level?

Is the ul sigerson manager the former kerry keeper declan something?

Zulu

Declan O'Keffee, he was manager last season I think and a selector under O'Neill for 2 or 3 years. He hasn't managed at club level or underage IC as far as I know but he is a strong personality, tactically aware and a good coach. Don't know what he'd be like as an IC manager but he is definitely a guy who could lead an IC set up.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on July 24, 2013, 12:42:34 PM
Declan O'Keffee, he was manager last season I think and a selector under O'Neill for 2 or 3 years. He hasn't managed at club level or underage IC as far as I know but he is a strong personality, tactically aware and a good coach. Don't know what he'd be like as an IC manager but he is definitely a guy who could lead an IC set up.

He definitely strikes me as someone who could do that job alright.

Exudes confidence in his own ability and seems to have an awful lot going for him.

Captain Obvious

In fairness on route to 1998 All Ireland final Kildare beat Meath,Kerry the 1996,1997 All Ireland champions something the 2011 team wouldn't have done.

Canalman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 24, 2013, 04:00:59 PM

In fairness on route to 1998 All Ireland final Kildare beat Meath,Kerry the 1996,1997 All Ireland champions something the 2011 team wouldn't have done.

Forgot to mention they beat 95  AI winners also in 1998.

Rossfan

If some team beat Cork, Dublin and Donegal this year they'd probably be All Ireland champions and would certainly be a good team.
Kerry, Monaghan or Mayowr could still do it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM