So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on May 12, 2014, 10:46:51 AM
Any word on when this is coming in for club matches.  ;)

Seen a right few club league matches and only 2 black cards, yellow cards been handed out a lot more though.

its a lottery at  club level.
I have seen referees giving black cards for challenges that were not a black card offence by any stretch of the imagination and also seen referees give yellow cards (or even nothing) for blatant black card offences.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

As a ex-forward who used to love watching good football I was glad to see the black card come in. I was shocked at Mickey Harte's resistance to it but I think Mickey is smart enough to use that to his advantage.
Personally I was embarrassed when Sean Cavanagh did "that tackle" last year but as he and many others have said , if you were the manager and you just let the man run through for the goal then you would say are you mad?
I think it was the way he did it SO cynically as in rugby style tackle as opposed to others like the Cork lad v Dublin last year (was it Shields) who tripped the lad but made it look almost like an accident.

Personally I am glad to see something being done about that type of cynical foul and think that the black card goes some way to dealing with that,
Saying that if Dublin are beating Kerry by 2 points in the final 5 mins and Kieran Donaghy catches the ball above O'Carroll turns and is about to shoot for goal. I can still see Carroll or Clucko taking him down and taking the card.

To me though it really only should be used for very obvious cynical fouls and not marginal yellow card calls. Refs jobs are hard enough I think without now having to decide in a second was that an intentional pull down or trip or block the man off his road or was it not.
Obviously for club games it's much much harder to police but I think for BIG intercounty championships games which are on live TV there should be some TV support for refs.
Just like the rugby if there is controversial foul the ref should have the option to go to the TV guy to ask him to make the call with the aid of slow motion replay. Then there would be less scope for error and less chance of people trying to trick the ref by diving or pulling a man's arm down with him .
I forsee a lot of teams who don't have good forwards to rely on a shootout style game to play like Cavan and go back to getting numbers back packed in the defence. Then even if yer man beats you there are several others there to cover your mistake and so no need to pull him down.

Going into the first big game of the championship this Sunday with Tyrone hosting Down, I would say Down will want to curb Tyrone's attacking forwards from the start and so I'll be very surprised if they don't play 2 of their half forwards back in their own 40. I hope they don't and I hope we don't play a sweeper either as I hate the type of game it usually leads to with short kick outs and slow ponderous build ups from the back.

orangeman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PUAgnrJR_4

Davy Coldrick looks like he might need a refresher course on the use of the black card. In all fairness, Davy was always going to be under the spotlight when reffing the first big game live on TV.

So he has my sympathy.

Zulu

Refs will always get one or two things wrong but when a ref gets big decisions wrong, especially an easy one like the Tyrone penalty, they deserve little sympathy IMO.

Catch and Kick

Give respect
Get respect
Earn respect .... the two most important words missing from the sleeve of the referees jerseys.

The complete inconsistency yesterday was the reason opponents of the black card were fearful from the outset.
It couldn't have been any clearer, confirmed by the referee awarding a penalty. A definite black card offence - and an incorrect decision not to play advantage and award the goal.
The fun is only starting.
At a club game over the weekend; a ref yellow carded and then black carded a player - but allowed him be substituted...

These decisions are going to decide the outcome of some championship games this summer. Teams who have slogged through the winter, trained like professionals are going to lose games because of the wrong application of these rules. Players are going to be totally frustrated and I can see players eventually turning their back on the game.
The game has become a farce under the direction of Corporate Park (The people in Croke Park give the impression they have the same knowledge of the game as the Gift Grub crew!); best epitomised by this skit on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Lw23aHSNI.

sligoman2

Again the inconsistency of the ref was the problem, not the rule itself.  You have the same argument with yellow and red cards.

Personally I thought this was one of the best ulster championship games I have seen in a long time with the exception of  donegal v Monaghan last year.  I think the fear of a black card eliminated a lot of the pulling and dragging, off the ball crap and intentional fouling that had become a feature of many ulster (and other) games.  That was a good game of open football in terrible conditions and I have no doubt the black card played a part in that.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Catch and Kick on May 19, 2014, 11:34:35 AM
Give respect
Get respect
Earn respect .... the two most important words missing from the sleeve of the referees jerseys.

The complete inconsistency yesterday was the reason opponents of the black card were fearful from the outset.
It couldn't have been any clearer, confirmed by the referee awarding a penalty. A definite black card offence - and an incorrect decision not to play advantage and award the goal.
At a club game over the weekend; a ref yellow carded and then black carded a player - but allowed him be substituted...

These decisions are going to decide the outcome of some championship games this summer. Teams who have slogged through the winter, trained like professionals are going to lose games because of the wrong application of these rules. Players are going to be totally frustrated and I can see players eventually turning their back on the game.
The game has become a farce under the direction of Corporate Park (The people in Croke Park give the impression they have the same knowledge of the game as the Gift Grub crew!); best epitomised by this skit on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Lw23aHSNI.

If Tyrone had have taken their chances in the first half, they would have won easily; if Down had have taken their chances in the second half, they would have won. Simple as that.
Although there were mistakes, it has feck all to do with the referee (even though I hollered at him a few times!).
Gaelic Football will always be around. If players turn their back on it because of a few refereeing decisions, the GAA is better off without them.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BennyHarp

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:25 PM
Again the inconsistency of the ref was the problem, not the rule itself.  You have the same argument with yellow and red cards.

Personally I thought this was one of the best ulster championship games I have seen in a long time with the exception of  donegal v Monaghan last year.  I think the fear of a black card eliminated a lot of the pulling and dragging, off the ball crap and intentional fouling that had become a feature of many ulster (and other) games.  That was a good game of open football in terrible conditions and I have no doubt the black card played a part in that.

But this was the problem with the rules pre-black card. Now we just have more rules so a greater chance of inconsistencies. Coldrick was one of the men who put together the video explaining the rules - if he can't fathom them out in a game then what hope has the average club ref.
That was never a square ball!!

sligoman2

Fair point but open football with some inconsistencies is better than pulling and dragging and cynical fouling in my opinion
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Hound

Its nothing to do with inconsistency! If that's the case people are implying he shouldn't have given a black card to Morgan to be consistent. That's nonsense.

Coldrick made a mistake (or two mistakes in the same penalty incident). My view is that he was a bit rocked knowing that he'd made a howler in not allowing the advantage, but that once he'd blown the whistle he couldnt change his mind and had to give the penalty. And with that going through his mind and the Tyrone lads asking him why he didnt play advantage, that he just forgot about penalising the tackler further which just compounded his mistake.

Coldrick is still one of the best refs in the country. He is not an inconsistent ref. But like any of us he can make the odd mistake.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Hound on May 20, 2014, 09:44:44 AM
Its nothing to do with inconsistency! If that's the case people are implying he shouldn't have given a black card to Morgan to be consistent. That's nonsense.

Coldrick made a mistake (or two mistakes in the same penalty incident). My view is that he was a bit rocked knowing that he'd made a howler in not allowing the advantage, but that once he'd blown the whistle he couldnt change his mind and had to give the penalty. And with that going through his mind and the Tyrone lads asking him why he didnt play advantage, that he just forgot about penalising the tackler further which just compounded his mistake.

Coldrick is still one of the best refs in the country. He is not an inconsistent ref. But like any of us he can make the odd mistake.

Fair enough, but does that not further prove the argument that the introduction of these new rule have made it even harder to referee the game?
Even coldrick who is regarded as one of the top referees in the country couldnt aplly them all correctly and consistently.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Quote from: Hound on May 20, 2014, 09:44:44 AM

That middle paragrtaph is exactly why have too many rules makes the job even more difficult. Coldrick is supposed to be our top ref and you are saying he got a bit rattled because he made a mistake with the new rules?
That was never a square ball!!

Collie Brolly

Quote from: Catch and Kick on May 19, 2014, 11:34:35 AM
Give respect
Get respect

Surely anyone brave enough to go out and do that job has earned respect already.Are u saying u can hammer a ref when he starts out until u c if he's good enough.Nonsense.
The reaction to this incident has been way ott imo.Black card death merchants were queuing up for this with great delight with as per usual the main protagonists coming from the North.

Rossfan

"It's the end of the GAA as we kinow it "
And if Mickey Harte is annoyed it has to be a good thing.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cornafean

Quote from: Rossfan on May 20, 2014, 11:11:49 AM
I see he still won't co operate with RTE th'oul grumpy ******.
Time for him to cop on.

If RTE joked about the death of your daughter, you'd be grumpy too.  :(
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.