So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

Zulu

But that's all well and good TYP but you can be sure if refs applied the letter of the law from first minute to last most of them would be lucky to get out of a ground alive. Lads, including yourself, would be on here giving out yards about 'joke' yellows and taking the physicality out of the game. Now a player can get a yellow for a poor or mistimed tackle but a fella who makes no attempt to tackle the ball and simply drags a player down gets punished accordingly with a black card. Whatever about the debates before it was introduced we can see lads are not taking blacks for the team, the way they took yellows. It has undoubtedly improved the game by ridding the game of some of the more cynical and negative behaviour of previous years.

The game is fine in the main but we shouldn't allow stopping your opponents through fouling flourish and I think that was the case over the past few years.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2014, 01:52:53 PM
But that's all well and good TYP but you can be sure if refs applied the letter of the law from first minute to last most of them would be lucky to get out of a ground alive. Lads, including yourself, would be on here giving out yards about 'joke' yellows and taking the physicality out of the game. Now a player can get a yellow for a poor or mistimed tackle but a fella who makes no attempt to tackle the ball and simply drags a player down gets punished accordingly with a black card. Whatever about the debates before it was introduced we can see lads are not taking blacks for the team, the way they took yellows. It has undoubtedly improved the game by ridding the game of some of the more cynical and negative behaviour of previous years.

The game is fine in the main but we shouldn't allow stopping your opponents through fouling flourish and I think that was the case over the past few years.

You've no idea about me so you've know idea what I'd be on here giving out yards about. I certainly wouldn't be giving out about consistent application of the rules as opposed to the absolute lottery we currently have. What I did give out about and will continue to is increasing the complexity of the rules for referees who already don't apply the rules consistently in the same game (different application of rules in the first 5 minutes of the game when compared to the rest of the game), never mind in different games and with different referees. Obviously total consistency is virtually impossible with different personalities involved in officiating, but some semblance of it would be a start.

I'll also give out about the introduction of untried and untested rules at the highest level of the game without so much as a trial. There's already been stories on here about clubs and a ref coming to an agreement about not using black cards because the teams only have 15 or 16 players each. I haven't seen this myself yet but it was predicted on here when the black card was announced

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2014, 01:52:53 PM

That is completely your own opinion, no 'undoubtedly' about it.
The games i have seen so far it has made very little difference, or has made them worse due to more refereeing inconsistency.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

QuoteYou've no idea about me so you've know idea what I'd be on here giving out yards about.

Well maybe your unlike ever other person in the world who doesn't give out about refs but I'd doubt it.

QuoteI certainly wouldn't be giving out about consistent application of the rules as opposed to the absolute lottery we currently have.

That's not going to happen for a whole host of reasons. Consistency in refereeing will never have consistency while human beings are doing it.

QuoteI'll also give out about the introduction of untried and untested rules at the highest level of the game without so much as a trial.

I'd have agreed with that point prior to it's introduction but now that we've seen it in action it hasn't had any negative impact and if it was on trial most would want it continued.

QuoteThere's already been stories on here about clubs and a ref coming to an agreement about not using black cards because the teams only have 15 or 16 players each. I haven't seen this myself yet but it was predicted on here when the black card was announced

See nothing wrong with that. That has happened for as long as the GAA has been around, striking or attempting to strike is a red in Croke Park but not on many junior pitches.

QuoteThat is completely your own opinion, no 'undoubtedly' about it.

While it is my opinion it is shared by the vast majority as best we can tell. I certainly don't know a single person who wants the black card rule reversed.

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

blewuporstuffed

You have spent most of the morning disagreeing with two posters that clearly dont want the black card rule yet:

QuoteI certainly don't know a single person who wants the black card rule reversed.

???

take_yer_points

Quote from: Zulu on April 17, 2014, 02:17:17 PM
QuoteYou've no idea about me so you've know idea what I'd be on here giving out yards about.

Well maybe your unlike ever other person in the world who doesn't give out about refs but I'd doubt it.

QuoteI certainly wouldn't be giving out about consistent application of the rules as opposed to the absolute lottery we currently have.

That's not going to happen for a whole host of reasons. Consistency in refereeing will never have consistency while human beings are doing it.

QuoteI'll also give out about the introduction of untried and untested rules at the highest level of the game without so much as a trial.

I'd have agreed with that point prior to it's introduction but now that we've seen it in action it hasn't had any negative impact and if it was on trial most would want it continued.

QuoteThere's already been stories on here about clubs and a ref coming to an agreement about not using black cards because the teams only have 15 or 16 players each. I haven't seen this myself yet but it was predicted on here when the black card was announced

See nothing wrong with that. That has happened for as long as the GAA has been around, striking or attempting to strike is a red in Croke Park but not on many junior pitches.

QuoteThat is completely your own opinion, no 'undoubtedly' about it.

While it is my opinion it is shared by the vast majority as best we can tell. I certainly don't know a single person who wants the black card rule reversed.

I'll agree to differ. I'd agree with you on very little I think

Zulu

I said I don't know anyone, I don't know the two boys. Of course there are people who disagree with the black card but there are people who think Elvis is alive or Daniel O'Donnell is a great entertainer, that doesn't mean they're right.

From checking twitter, Facebook, the internet, newspapers, TV and other GAA discussion boards I have hardly seen a negative opinion on the black cards bar a few lads here. Not everyone is singing their praises but I don't get any impression that there is anything like a majority or even a large minority of people who think the black card should be scrapped.

blewuporstuffed

The reality is, it wont be scrapped , so we are stuck with it. That doesnt mean we all have to think its a good thing.

I am hoping the way i say it applied in the last club game is an anomaly and it will settle down over time, but if it continues like that, we are in for a long and controversial year.

Zulu

Fair enough. I think we all hope it will prove to be a positive and if it's not I think most would be glad to scrap it. We probably can't definitively comment either way until at least the end of the year.

sligoman2

I'm really enjoying this conversation so I decided to add a poll to this thread to see which way the majority are leaning.

I just voted yes  ;) ;) ;)
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Zulu

Twice as many in favour sligoman2, the people have spoken so you can close the poll now! 

sligoman2

Looks like the anti blacks are winning at this point
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Bingo

Any word on when this is coming in for club matches.  ;)

Seen a right few club league matches and only 2 black cards, yellow cards been handed out a lot more though.