Managerial Merry Go Round, 2014/15 edition

Started by AZOffaly, August 07, 2014, 12:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

With the news that Paul Bealin is out as manager of Westmeath, I was wondering what the situation is in the rest of the country?

Leinster
Louth - Vacant
Meath - Mick O'Dowd - Manager since 2013 championship. - (In trouble after a poor end to 2014?)
Dublin - Jim Gavin - Manager since 2013 championship. (Assuming he'll stay if he wants to.)
Wicklow - Harry Murphy - Manager since 2012 championship.
Wexford - Vacant
Carlow - Vacant
Kildare - Jason Ryan - Manager since 2014 championship. (Assuming he's okay).
Laois - Tomás O Flaharta - Manager since 2014 championship. (Assuming he's okay).
Offaly - Vacant
Westmeath - Vacant
Longford - Jack sheedy - Confirmed for 2015

Munster
Cork - Brian Cuthbert - Manager since 2014 championship. (Probably okay as it's just been 1 year, but I know there's a bit of unrest there).
Kerry - Eamonn Fitzmaurice - Manager since 2013 championship. (I think he's okay, even if Mayo beat them. Haven't heard rumblings in Kerry and they know they don't have a stellar team at the moment).
Tipperary - Peter Creedon - Manager since 2013 championship. (Should be okay. Good progress made this year. If personal circumstances are ok, he'll stay on).
Limerick - John Brudair - Manager since 2014 championship. (Another first year man, so should be okay on that basis. Stayed in D3 and won a couple of qualifier games)
Clare - Colm Collins - Manager since 2014 championship. (Again, should be ok. Ran Kerry reasonably close, got promoted from D4 and showed well in qualifiers)
Waterford - Vacant

Connacht
Sligo - Pat Flanagan - Manager since 2014 championship. (Not sure what Sligo lads think, but I suspect he may be offered the Offaly job).
Galway - Vacant
Mayo - Vacant
Roscommon - John Evans - Manager since 2013 championship. (Hard to know this one from outside. Long trek to Kiltoom or wherever they train. What's the roscommon vibe?)
Leitrim - Vacant
London - Paul Coggins - Manager since 2011 championship. (Might be time to change there. Didn't come close to repeating last year's heroics this time around).

Ulster
Fermanagh - Pete McGrath - Manager since 2014 championship. Confirmed for 2015
Antrim - Liam Bradley - Manager (second time around) since 2014 championship. (Beat Fermanagh, got trimmed by Donegal and beaten by Limerick. Probably ok because it's year 1 again).
Tyrone - Mickey Harte - Manager since 25 B.C. . (Probably on his way out. The greatest manager of his generation, but it does look to be getting stale in the Red Hand county).
Derry - Brian McIver - Manager since 2013 championship. (Should be okay, but the league performance didn't translate. What do our Derry lads say?)
Armagh -Vacant
Down - Vacant
Donegal - Jimmy McGuinness - Manager since 2011 championship. (Another lad who might be thinking of pastures new. This is his 4th championship, and it must be tough with the family and the Celtic job. Win 2014 and he's proven his bounce back ability after 2013. Lose, and what more can he do?)
Monaghan - Malachy O'Rourke - Manager since 2013 championship. (You'd imagine he'd be ok. Ulster final again this year, and a good run to the quarter finals at least. A good run against the Dubs and surely he'd be grand)
Cavan - Terry Hyland - Manager since 2013 championship. (Cavan seem to be coming, but it's not there yet. Is Hyland the man to bring them on?)

Croí na hÉireann

Very comprehensive az. Can't see Flanagan leaving Sligo for his native county (provided he isn't given the cold shoulder again). Offaly are 4-5 years away from being an attractive prospect IMO.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Shamrock Shore

QuoteLongford - Jack sheedy - Manager since 2014 championship. (Assuming he's okay).

Quite likely he's there for another year as there is no groundswell of opinion agin him at the top table nor from the players. A few mumblings from the floor at a recent county board meeting but that's unlikely to affect things. AFAIK the top table is awaiting a comprehensive report on the 2014 season before it rubber stamps another year.

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2014, 12:11:12 PM
With the news that Paul Bealin is out as manager of Westmeath, I was wondering what the situation is in the rest of the country?

Roscommon - John Evans - Manager since 2013 championship. (Hard to know this one from outside. Long trek to Kiltoom or wherever they train. What's the roscommon vibe?)
He'd got some personal things but the latest whispers are that he'll be with us for another go in 2015.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2014, 02:36:51 PM

He'd got some personal things but the latest whispers are that he'll be with us for another go in 2015.

And leading the U21s to AI glory too..

magpie seanie

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 07, 2014, 12:30:56 PM
Very comprehensive az. Can't see Flanagan leaving Sligo for his native county (provided he isn't given the cold shoulder again). Offaly are 4-5 years away from being an attractive prospect IMO.

Not sure whether I want him to stay or go. This year was bad but a little better than KW's last year. I think Flanagan could do with better selectors/backroom team and a better county board......

waterfordlad

Waterford weren't mentioned there. I'm offended ;).
I'd be more of a hurling fan than football but Niall Carew was thinking over his future after the 1 point defeat to Carlow in qualifiers. I haven't heard anything since but they haven't made much progress in last couple of years so he might decide to pull out.

ONeill

Armagh - Paul Grimley - Manager since 2013 championship. (Geezer's arrival means it's probably a case of when rather than if  he takes over. Grimley'd be hard done by if they moved him out after this run, so maybe this team will stay in situ.)

Is this not already a done deal?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

LCohen

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2014, 08:01:54 PM
Armagh - Paul Grimley - Manager since 2013 championship. (Geezer's arrival means it's probably a case of when rather than if  he takes over. Grimley'd be hard done by if they moved him out after this run, so maybe this team will stay in situ.)

Is this not already a done deal?

nah. The arse has fallen out of the finances. Actually the arse fell out of them a long time ago but the enormity only emerging now.

Plus clubs unhappy with losing their county players. Geezer hardly the man to put that right. And the clubs have to vote him in.

AZOffaly

Quote from: waterfordlad on August 07, 2014, 07:54:50 PM
Waterford weren't mentioned there. I'm offended ;).
I'd be more of a hurling fan than football but Niall Carew was thinking over his future after the 1 point defeat to Carlow in qualifiers. I haven't heard anything since but they haven't made much progress in last couple of years so he might decide to pull out.

Apologies waterfordlad. Certainly not intended. I know what the football folk have to go through down there and I'd never belittle them. Thanks for adding Waterford to my list.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2014, 02:50:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2014, 02:36:51 PM

And leading the U21s to AI glory too..

You might get to the final alright

IolarCoisCuain

Galway might be best taking the advice of the poets laureate of Galway football, the Saw Doctors. The heron-chokers need a brand new Welger, and to get rid of that ould Mulholland.

trasna man

Brian mcIver, is on a five year development plan in derry and is ahead of schedule, think we will stick with him for the full five.

macdanger2

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 07, 2014, 10:53:28 PM
Galway might be best taking the advice of the poets laureate of Galway football, the Saw Doctors. The heron-chokers need a brand new Welger, and to get rid of that ould Mulholland.

Very good  ;D

Farrandeelin

Pete McGrath has been ratified for Fermanagh next year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.