Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

Thought there would have been more about it on here myself, or at least the Jody debate reopened.
What do people think...he may stay to get us out of Div 4 and have a rattle at someone in a newly revamped qualifier system next year? Who will come back?
Is Kevin McGourty back playing club football?

As regards the match I didn't go down and only saw minimal highlights (are these online anywhere?).
Decent win. Hopefully we use it to move on.
Good article by Paddy Heaney in the Irish News yesterday about Kevin Brady. No man can question that having given a good 10 years to football they deserve something.

And to the Antrim championship this week:

My predictions (for what they are worth)

Antrim SFC

St. Brigids V Cargin (Cargin)
Creggan V Lamh Dhearg (Creggan)
Rasharkin V Dunloy (Rasharkin)
St. Pauls V Gort Na Mona (St Paul's)
St. Galls V Portglenone (St Gall's)

Antrim IFC

Ardoyne V Aldergrove (Ardoyne)
Glenravel V Tir na Nog (Tir na Nog)
Sarsfields V Moneyglass (Moneyglass)
Rossa V Glenavy (Rossa)
St. Endas V All Saints (St Enda's)
Aghagallon V Davitts (Aghagallon)

Antrim JFC

Sean McDermotts v St. Comgalls (McDermotts)
St. Malachys v O Donnells (St Malachys)
St. Teresas v St. Agnes (St Teresas)
Mitchels v Ballycastle (Ballycastle)

imtommygunn

St Brigids and Cargin should be interesting. It'll tell us where Brigids are really at.

I'd go with most predictions there except I think Glenavy will beat Rossa and Aldergrive Ardoyne. Not sure about the Glenravel match either.

ODonnells might be better than St Malachys too.

The game was streamed on the web though not sure of highlights. It was a good performance.  A much better line-up I think than championship. Convery at CHB works much better. Having a FF who can win ball works well too. Those two McCanns are very very good footballers too and having a HF line who can link play - well a CHF anyway works much much better.

Personally I think that 15 would have beat Cavan. As for next year I'd put Sean Kelly in - use Joe Quinn as an impact sub and forget about the rest of them boys. Without Cunningham / McGourty the team played a lot more as a unit.

Glensman

Would have Kelly and Loughrey into the defence next year (direct replacements for O'Boyle and Conlon).
Magill to start and CJ (if his ego is curtailed) in. Think he adds more than Cunnigham and can get goals.

Cargin have too much through their team for Brigids. 6 starters on a successful Antrim team!

imtommygunn

Tomas McCann we very impressive at the weekend too. Very good footballer - great pace.

Not sure I'd play Loughrey. O'Boyle to CB and Kelly in.

CJ impact sub. Close is a very good player too. (Ciaran not Paul...)

PlayWithTheWind

Its not over til the fat lady sings!

Our Nail Loney

any bookies in antrim give odds for the club championship lads??

milltown row

evens each i'd say for Cargin and Naomh Gall, with St Pauls 2/1 along with Creggan, Portglenone and St Brigids 3/1 (well the they play the favourites first) and the rest 5/1

Our Nail Loney

Wouldnt have thought there would be joint favourtes. Based on previous performance/players at their disposal etc any bookies would put st galls clear faves I would say.

Sausalito Bay

I'd say more like

St Galls 4/7
Cargin 11/10
St Pauls 6/1
Creggan 7/1
Portglenone 10/1
St Brigids 16/1
20/1 bar

If Portglenone weren't playing St Galls first I would have them 5/1 third favourites. Nothing surer than the fact that they will be going out at the weekend.

Glensman

Will CJ be able to play?

Is there a 60 day rule (not sure of the specifics)?

Larry Duff

Larry Duff

Can anyone else confirm Jody's departure? Heard it's on the county website but find it hard to believe, surely he would have told the Irish News first ;D

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

playwiththewind1st

Hmm, around 2 lines in all. Just about sums the whole era up.

Glensman