Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingstick

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 26, 2017, 08:02:44 PM
Last minute penalty by ballycastle to win it.

The ref called penalty from 70m away - controversial. I would have thought he shouldn't be guessing what happened and therefore shouldn't have called penalty.

Fair play to Ballycastle. Rossa dominated possession in the 2nd half but their full forward line offered little. James Connolly was excellent - best player on the pitch even though he didn't start. Though once Ballycastle knew every puck out was going to him it was easy to foil.

Jesusjones

All officials were wearing ear pieces so possibly the umpires called the penalty?

old timers

Just back from Dunloy and not a bad night for hurling but a poor night for "skinny". As an impartial observer who just wanted to see two good matches to say it was disappointing would be an understatement. First match was a non-contest and in the 2nd match Rossa must be gutted because 99% of the spectators at that game knew that wasn't a penalty. Even the Dunloy spectators were embarrassed to say the least and were laughing at some of the decisions.   As for young Connolly bei I think I must have been watching a different game.  Scored a couple of cracking points but  that was it- he could change a game but It doesn't happen.  Unfortunately for Rossa. 

hurlingstick

Quote from: old timers on August 26, 2017, 09:33:59 PM
Just back from Dunloy and not a bad night for hurling but a poor night for "skinny". As an impartial observer who just wanted to see two good matches to say it was disappointing would be an understatement. First match was a non-contest and in the 2nd match Rossa must be gutted because 99% of the spectators at that game knew that wasn't a penalty. Even the Dunloy spectators were embarrassed to say the least and were laughing at some of the decisions.   As for young Connolly bei I think I must have been watching a different game.  Scored a couple of cracking points but  that was it- he could change a game but It doesn't happen.  Unfortunately for Rossa.

He seemed to want the game to be all about him - James Connolly won 7 high balls as clean catches and scored 3/4 points second half from play. He was the stand out player.

JJ - I might be wrong but I'm not sure umpires can call penalty. I don't think they can.

Jesusjones

Maybe umpires can't call a penalty? I actually did think it was a penalty from where I was standing and I'm a neutral observer. Thought Rossa were the better team but a few bad wides in the second half cost them. Young Connolly was the stand out player on show. Some of the catches were sensational. Apparently he was the stand out hurler in New York this summer in fairly illustrious company.

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

not long home.  have to say i actually feel bad for rossa. Far better team on the night.  embarrassing from the ref,  we showed fight but the ref 100% kept the town in the game.  Connolly won countless ball and was fouled countless times. i was standing amongst dunloy ones who couldn't believe there eyes at some of his calls. regardless a win is a win. the circus that is Ballycastle senior hurlers 2017 rolls on for another couple of weeks.  All the hard men with the blinkers on that didn't want to listen  where's Saul? 

Saul left the group.    ::)

hurlingstick

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 26, 2017, 10:13:45 PM
not long home.  have to say i actually feel bad for rossa. Far better team on the night.  embarrassing from the ref,  we showed fight but the ref 100% kept the town in the game.  Connolly won countless ball and was fouled countless times. i was standing amongst dunloy ones who couldn't believe there eyes at some of his calls. regardless a win is a win. the circus that is Ballycastle senior hurlers 2017 rolls on for another couple of weeks.  All the hard men with the blinkers on that didn't want to listen  where's Saul? 

Saul left the group.    ::)

Rossa were the better team. The penalty at the end won the game for Ballycastle.

In the 1st minute of the game the referee done Gavin Bell for leaving the small square for a puckout. That set the tone for the evening. Peculiar!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jesusjones on August 26, 2017, 09:33:29 PM
All officials were wearing ear pieces so possibly the umpires called the penalty?

Umpire shouldn't be calling a penalty in my book, (not actually 100% on that) probably let the ref know if it was inside the box but not actually call a penalty
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 26, 2017, 10:24:47 PM

Umpire shouldn't be calling a penalty in my book, (not actually 100% on that) probably let the ref know if it was inside the box but not actually call a penalty

Think that's right. He can ask an umpire's advice. He had made the decision himself though from 70m after a quick/huge puckout. He signaled for it as he reached the halfway line. In my opinion he shouldn't be making calls from that distant - then again what would I know.

THINGSTHATNEEDSAID

skinny has more good games than bad. but that was a very bad one. Town simply wallpapering over major cracks. we're still a disgrace!! in two weeks time will NMA get his mate the road like the managers before him?  or is all good because he can run the show the way he wants to?  Club mustn't have came up with the few shillings for the money man from the states.  little temperamental toe rag!!!!!    BRING BACK HUMPY!!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hurlingstick on August 26, 2017, 10:29:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 26, 2017, 10:24:47 PM

Think that's right. He can ask an umpire's advice. He had made the decision himself though from 70m after a quick/huge puckout. He signaled for it as he reached the halfway line. In my opinion he shouldn't be making calls from that distant - then again what would I know.

It's tough on all refs but he's generally closer than supporters and he's made the call, as difficult as it is for Rossa that's that!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

old timers

HS and JJ your right. Great catching by Connolly and a few others on that Rossa team. Especially two of their backs.  Great to watch but Unless things have changed It's the distribution after the catch that matters but sure you could debate that all day. And the age old debate of people going to America which is becoming more of an issue, it is brilliantthat they do well across the pond or wherever but sure it doesn't do their respective teams any good when they are away but that's nothing new with Antrim hurling clubs

paddyjohn

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM
skinny has more good games than bad. but that was a very bad one. Town simply wallpapering over major cracks. we're still a disgrace!! in two weeks time will NMA get his mate the road like the managers before him?  or is all good because he can run the show the way he wants to?  Club mustn't have came up with the few shillings for the money man from the states.  little temperamental toe rag!!!!!    BRING BACK HUMPY!!!!

Your personal attacks on players and people are getting tedious now, I'm sure when Ballycastle are advertising for a new senior manager or a new committee, you'll be the first in those lovely black and amber gates.

BlacknAmber

Quote from: THINGSTHATNEEDSAID on August 26, 2017, 10:29:49 PM

Ok ok ok....we get it, you're wholly disgruntled with the management/committee situation in the town at present but really.....is slabbering on here helping the cause? Let's get real on a few things:

1.  If you want to continue bullying a 21yr old lad who oozes talent and has more hurling skill in his pinky fingernail than you probably have in your whole body then man up and go have a conversation with the chap. No one is arguing that Sauls commitment isn't what we'd like it to be but he's young and influential and bullying him on here sure as hell ain't going to encourage him in the right direction!

2.  'BRING BACK HUMPY'.....go and check your temperature, think you've got a fever and it's making you dilusional! What has he ever achieved as a manager....nothing. There's no track record there, he walked out on us (prior to being sacked) for a paid coaching/management role so don't go on about the money money money, (wee song there!)....when you talk of people who shouldn't be allowed back add Humpy to your list. And go a step further add yourself to the list. Your 'support' is neither wanted nor needed in our club.

Apologies to everyone on this forum, every club has a clown and it seems this ejit is ours *head in hands* :-(

Jesusjones

Ballycastle should do everything they can to work with Saul McCaughan. He is an outrageous talent. Loughgiel could have cast Liam Watson aside on a number of occasions for his attitude and lack of commitment but they didn't. They put the arm round him, looked after him and he paid them back 10 fold. There'd be no 4 in a row and no 2nd All Ireland without him.