Tyrone
29 (23.2%)
Other
11 (8.8%)
Armagh
1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: May 26, 2013, 04:02:00 PM

I am sorry but getting sick of this how can Kildare keep being rated a better team than down . If any thing there is not much difference between the teams each have there liabilities at opposite ends of the field.

Captain Obvious

I think Kildare will reach the last eight i'm not sure will Down.

Last eight

Donegal
Dublin
Kerry
Cork
Mayo
Kildare
Tyrone
Monaghan or Down?

I honestly disagree I think Down are more capable of reaching the last eight

Lar Naparka

I'd put a few euro on Mayo if they overcome Roscommon and if James Horan has a full panel available from there on.
Andy Moran and Alan Dillon have just returned after lengthy absences due to injury. It's too soon to say if they are fully fit or not.
Cillian O'Connor, Mick Conroy and Barry Moran are out of actrion at the moment.
All five are first choice players and all are vital if Mayo are to win.
Only time will tell....
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 08, 2013, 12:24:50 AM
I'd put a few euro on Mayo if they overcome Roscommon and if James Horan has a full panel available from there on.
Andy Moran and Alan Dillon have just returned after lengthy absences due to injury. It's too soon to say if they are fully fit or not.
Only time will tell....

Could it be the Ros' year, Lar? 8)

ballinaman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 08, 2013, 12:24:50 AM
Only time will tell....
I put 50 down at 11/1 the day after the All Ireland last year 8)

yellowcard

Trying to think ahead to the AI quarter final pairings. You'd have to fancy Donegal, Dublin, Mayo and probably Kerry. Can these teams play a qualifier who they have previously met in the championship ie could Tyrone play Donegal or Kerry play Cork again? These are the only 6 realistic contenders at this stage and there is a big gap between these and the rest. So 2 of the provincial winners should have comfortable quarter finals while 2 will have tough matches (provided Cork/Kerry dont draw each other in the qualifiers).

yellowcard

If Monaghan play with the same intensity that they did today I would put them among the list of contenders. It's gonna be a question of how quickly they can put their feet on the ground after today's achievement. It's starting to look like it will be a bumper quarter final weekend this year.

None of Kerry, Mayo or Dublin will want to draw Donegal now presuming that they get over Laois. When interviewed after the match Jimmy said that he would have to study the match towards the end of the week to see what went wrong. I don't think he realised the qualifiers were in 6 days! His biggest job will be picking up his players mentally and physically in such a short time frame after today's bruising encounter.

J70

Yes, I have my doubts that we'll get past Laois. Today would have been a major shock to the system for those players, as I'm sure they've been hearing all about the three in a row from the press and the fans at home for weeks now and they found that they couldn't lift it enough or find that intensity when Monaghan tore into them. If so, I'll have no complaints. Been a marvellous two years under McGuinness and we'll challenge again next year.

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2013, 07:48:55 PM
Yes, I have my doubts that we'll get past Laois. Today would have been a major shock to the system for those players, as I'm sure they've been hearing all about the three in a row from the press and the fans at home for weeks now and they found that they couldn't lift it enough or find that intensity when Monaghan tore into them. If so, I'll have no complaints. Been a marvellous two years under McGuinness and we'll challenge again next year.

Yeah I think it will be a close run affair not because I think Laois are any great shakes but purely because of the short turnaround afforded after today's loss. Some of the aura surrounding Donegal will have evaporated today but I still expect them to sneak past Laois and have a big say in this years AI series.

It's an unfair system that has beaten teams out again within 6 days.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: yellowcard on July 21, 2013, 07:53:26 PM

Yeah I think it will be a close run affair not because I think Laois are any great shakes but purely because of the short turnaround afforded after today's loss. Some of the aura surrounding Donegal will have evaporated today but I still expect them to sneak past Laois and have a big say in this years AI series.

But Laois only played yesterday, so the quick turnaround shouldn't matter for this one.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 21, 2013, 08:45:33 PM

But Laois only played yesterday, so the quick turnaround shouldn't matter for this one.

The psychological thing is the issue. Donegal will be pretty shell-shocked tonight. Going to take some time to get over it. Laois are coming off a few wins. The six day turnaround is unfair, but this conversation happens every year and nothing is ever done about it. If the lads want it badly enough, they'll just have to pick themselves up.

Redhand Santa

People were too early writing of this years championship as poor. After this weekend I think we could be in for a brilliant finish to it. By all accounts Cavan Derry was a great game last night and it will mean another new name in the quarter finals and a team coming down with a big support. More importantly Monaghan beating Donegal today has opened it all up very nicely and it was a huge shock which always creates great interest.

There is question marks over all the favourites. I think Donegal now are in a bit of crisis mode. Some of their best players aren't fully fit and they'll only have 6 days to get mentally over today which is little time before facing a half decent Laois team. They should get through it but again they'll only have another week to get ready for Dublin/Mayo/Kerry. Can they get back to their best so soon?

I think both Tyrone and Meath have showed in big games v the Dubs that they have plenty of weaknesses despite looking briliant when on top. Hard to know if they can come through a couple of games were its really put up to them. There's also question marks over Kerry. They seem capable of a big half but seem to struggle for the full game. Mayo look impressive but I would worry for them in the quarter finals. They haven't played a proper match since the league in April which is a long time and will be interesting to see if they can get up to the intensity of the quarter finals.

The quarter finals could throw up a couple of huge clashes. Cork and Donegal will be very difficult opponents for anyone as will Tyrone/Meath. Even Cavan won't go into it lying down. Monaghan will go down with a huge crowd and lots of confidence and will feel a semi final is within reach.

I suppose if in doubt you should go with Kerry but I would not be surprised if the winner came from outside them Dublin/Mayo/Donegal who up the bookies seemed to think it was between. Fascinating few weeks ahead now.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2013, 09:18:18 PM

The psychological thing is the issue. Donegal will be pretty shell-shocked tonight. Going to take some time to get over it. Laois are coming off a few wins. The six day turnaround is unfair, but this conversation happens every year and nothing is ever done about it. If the lads want it badly enough, they'll just have to pick themselves up.

And if Jimmy's sport psychology stuff has anything to do with it, there's no excuses really is there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

J70

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 22, 2013, 07:08:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2013, 09:18:18 PM

And if Jimmy's sport psychology stuff has anything to do with it, there's no excuses really is there.

Its psychology, not magic.