Tipp v Tyrone 18/07/15 Thurles

Started by omagh_gael, July 13, 2015, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Embarrassing yesterday, I really felt this was our chance to take that next step but instead we got a massive wake up call. our fitness levels are nowhere near the top teams decision, making left alot to be desired too. Peter creedon has brought us on a long way and made the decision earlier in the year that this was his last year, big appointment now to see where we go from here

rrhf

Keep the head up.  There's talent in tipp.  Handled right it will make progress. I felt indiscipline in tipp was rampant from the start and sadly for tipp Tyrone just got very businesslike and got on with it.tyrone impressed me yesterday, but they do will only get to a certain level this year.

Fuzzman

I was very pleased with our performance yesterday especially how we went about the task and our focus and application in the second half.
A lot of these type of games end up looking easy as the same called smaller fish gets disheartened as the other team don't crumble so easy.
Our attitude at the start of the second half showed great urgency and leadership with a number of players standing up.
The draw has been very kind to us though so we SHOULD find ourselves in a 1/4 final v Mayo or Monaghan using a smoother road that Donegal ended up using. Derry, Armagh, Monaghan v Limerick, Meath, Tipp & Sligo.

I really would like to see Mickey put an end to Morgan hitting frees. It's become a farce now and rather than it being a positive thing, it now has become a thing of dread which uplifts the other team when he misses. Can you imagine the sledging he's gotta receive now from teams as he walks up to hit one.
I'd rather we take it short and work it in. Kicking it wide 9 times out of 10 doesn't make sense to me any more in these days of using stats for everything.

BTW I was badly wrong about Mattie last night at 12.04 in Hayes front bar.

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2015, 08:04:04 PM

I really would like to see Mickey put an end to Morgan hitting frees. It's become a farce now and rather than it being a positive thing, it now has become a thing of dread which uplifts the other team when he misses.

I found that hard to watch yesterday. They were trying to tee up a free for him for confidence. His style of kicking has even changed. No more.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Does anyone know does Sky repeat their live games later in the week as I can't see it on their catch up service?

clarshack

fantastic 2nd half from tyrone yesterday. tipp are no mugs.

Windmill abu

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 08:08:31 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2015, 08:04:04 PM

I really would like to see Mickey put an end to Morgan hitting frees. It's become a farce now and rather than it being a positive thing, it now has become a thing of dread which uplifts the other team when he misses.

I found that hard to watch yesterday. They were trying to tee up a free for him for confidence. His style of kicking has even changed. No more.

If you take the free taking out of it & just base it on Goal keeping (Shot stopping & kickouts), then M. O'Neill may be a better choice. Or is it too late in the campaign to mess about with keeper selection?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Fuzzman

From The Irish Examiner

76 not out for Tyrone colossus Sean Cavanagh Monday, July 20, 2015By Eoghan Cormican
Tipperary 0-7 Tyrone 0-19: A landmark afternoon for Tyrone football's favourite son. Sean Cavanagh was the final player to disappear underneath the Kinane Stand shortly after 5pm on Saturday, a number of visiting and, indeed, home supporters requesting a picture on what was a historic outing for the 32-year old.

Cavanagh's involvement inside the Thurles whitewash brought to 76 the number of championship appearances he has made for the Red Hand County, a new Tyrone record.
Thirteen summers on, he can still vividly recallhis championship debut.
"It was May 19, 2002. I ended up getting a lucky goal towards the end to draw it. I can remember almost every one of those 76 games. They have disappeared like a lightning bolt in the past 13 years."
The favourites had been patient in both defence and attack, and while their opponents lacked real penetration to cut through the 13-man wall they were confronted with each time they moved inside the Tyrone 45m line, they didn't shy from the challenge.

What materialised at the change of ends, however, was an established county delivering a footballing lesson to their ill-disciplined and one-dimensional hosts. 0-12 to 0-1, the winners outscored Tipperary in the second 35 minutes.
The problems with Steven O'Brien's hamstring were highlighted by the long black stripe running up his left leg, while a subdued Colin O'Riordan was also substituted before the finish.
Having played the full hour in Tipperary's Munster U21 hurling semi-final defeat on Thursday evening, O'Riordan was a shadow of the colossus who almost dragged the Premier County across the line in the All-Ireland U21 decider against Tyrone in early May.
That contest, littered with cynical play, had soured relations between the counties and that animosity boiled to the surface in first-half stoppages when Michael Quinlivan delivered a crunching, yet fair shoulder that floored Conor Meyler, and a melee spilled onto the sideline.
The Tipperary management avoided a tunnel brawl by keeping their players on the field as Tyrone returned to the dressing room.
Four turnovers in the opening four minutes of the game had suggested Tipp would struggle. Runners from deep — mainly Sean Cavanagh and Peter Harte — pierced holes in the home defence. Conor McAliskey (0-1 free), Cavanagh and two Darren McCurry frees moved Mickey Harte's side in front; Tipp relied on the dead-ball accuracy of Kevin O'Halloran.
The corner-forward struck their opener on nine minutes and his second, along with well-engineered scores from Robbie Kiely and Michael Quinlivan, tied proceedings after 20 minutes.
Then went Tyrone through the gears. Peter Harte was on the mark after a superb block on Quinlivan at the other end, with Cavanagh and a second Harte minor reestablishing Tyrone's three-point cushion.
Tipp, through O'Halloran (two frees), would narrow the gap, but such was the energy expanded in creating the opening, there was very little left in the tank on the restart. After three attacks broke down, a flurry scores at the other end from McAliskey (0-2), McCurry (0-3) and Mattie Donnelly, the game was up for Creedon's charges. As their card count soared, David Gough was given reason to reach for red as Liam Casey, on the field two minutes, stamped on Colm Cavanagh.

Game-changer
Four unanswered points between the 46th and 54th minutes moved Tyrone 0-13 to 0-6 ahead. The ease at which the gap had been established deflated Tipperary and the final quarter was one-way traffic.

Talk of the town
Peter Creedon's decision to step down as Tipperary manager. The hunt for his successor is set to begin immediately.

Did that just happen?
Tipp scoring just one point in the entire second period, a 66th minute Kevin O'Halloran free.

Best on show?
Peter Harte covered many roles for Tyrone, and, indeed, almost every blade of grass on the Semple Stadium turf. Linked defence with attack on numerous occasions.

Sideline superior
Tyrone's defensive set-up frustrated Tipperary, while for the home outfit, the decision to start Steven O'Brien would have to be questioned as the Ballina youngster, having missed the Louth game with a hamstring injury, was clearly nowhere near full fitness.

The man in black
Busy afternoon for David Gough. The Meath official handed out one red, 10 yellow and one black. Was far too inconsistent in his decision-making, though.

What's next?
Tyrone await their opponents from this morning's fourth round qualifier draw.
WRONG we wait to hear where to we play Sligo and at what time?

Scorers for Tyrone:
D McCurry (0-5, 0-3 frees); C McAliskey (0-5, 0-3 frees); S Cavanagh, M Donnelly (0-3 each); P Harte (0-2); C McCann (0-1).
Scorers for Tipperary:
K O'Halloran (0-5, 0-4 frees, 0-1 '45); M Quinlivan, R Kiely (0-1 each).

Tyrone:
N Morgan; A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron; R McMahon, J McMahon, T McCann; C Cavanagh, M Donnelly; C Meyler, P Harte, M Bradley; D McCurry, S Cavanagh, C McAliskey.
Subs for Tyrone:
C McCann for McCurry (52 mins), B Tierney for Meyler (57), R O'Neill for Bradley (61), C Clarke for C Cavanagh (61), P McNulty for Harte (64), C McShane for McAliskey (67).

Tipperary:
E Comerford; A Campbell, P Codd, C McDonald; S Kennedy, R Kiely, B Fox; C O'Riordan, P Acheson; G Mulhair, S O'Brien, P Austin, C Sweeney, M Quinlivan, K O'Halloran.
Subs for Tipperary:
J Lonergan for Sweeney (40 mins), L Casey for O'Brien (54), J Feehan for McDonald (58, bc), B Grogan for Austin (60), B Mulvihill for O'Riordan (65), C O'Shaughnessy for Mulhair (66).

Referee: D Gough (Meath).
------------------------------------
What did people think of the referee by the way?
I don't think I ever saw a game with so many times the ball was touched on the ground and also blocks.
Was it the surface that the ball doesn't bounce as well I wonder. Lovely big pitch and interesting reading the Tyrone GAA facebook post where so many loved going onto the pitch afterwards

longballin

Morgan on the frees claerly not working. Why are they persisting with it?

tippabu

What did people think of the referee by the way?
I don't think I ever saw a game with so many times the ball was touched on the ground and also blocks.
Was it the surface that the ball doesn't bounce as well I wonder. Lovely big pitch and interesting reading the Tyrone GAA facebook post where so many loved going onto the pitch afterwards

Saw that post alright, was very good. I think we take for granted going onto the pitch after pretty much all our home games and mixing with the player and children getting to play hurling and football after on the pitch. Does it happen often up there in ulster? Tyrone people really seemed to enjoy it after, plenty getting photos and saw a few getting a lend of hurleys off tipp young fellas and tried (not very well) to put a ball over the bar. After all that happened with the under 21s and the fall out it was good to see that has seemed to be put to bed and everyone mixed and seemed to get on

Fuzzman

Well said Tippabu
I don't want to stir it all up again but there seemed a bit of tension in the crowd I thought where they expected us to me more dirty or cynical is that fair to say?

A few young lads in the pub very late on said to me Tyrone are BACK but ye are a very dirty team
Is that the general consensus down there or is that just what they hear from the medja?

Whishtup

I thoroughly enjoyed the Thurles experience-time of the match meant that there were a lot of kids present-I regret not bringing mine.  Enjoyed the atmosphere and thought the pitch was amazing.  A real treat to be in Thurles.  There may have been an expectation of a dust-up but Tyrone rose above it and let the football do the talking.

tippabu

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 20, 2015, 03:51:09 PM
Well said Tippabu
I don't want to stir it all up again but there seemed a bit of tension in the crowd I thought where they expected us to me more dirty or cynical is that fair to say?

A few young lads in the pub very late on said to me Tyrone are BACK but ye are a very dirty team
Is that the general consensus down there or is that just what they hear from the medja?

I didn't watch the match or highlights back, only thing we may have been upset about was the bit of a scrap before ht when we got a free after a tremendous looking hit on one of yer lads, as I say didn't watch it back so don't know who instigated it but we lost our free and ball was thrown up. Apart from that we were the ones who were dirty and cynical at times, the stamp sounded bad and we could have seen another couple of black cards. Wouldn't mind them lads in Hayes, most thurles people have zero interest in football and would just use the buzz words that they'd hear being said, as I said, it was us rather than ye who were the dirtier

omaghjoe

Enjoyed the match at the weekend mostly because its the first match since Donegal that I got to watch. This is the exactly the kinda qualifier that I loved goin to when I was at home and its tuff watching them on the box TBH.

Very business like performance from Tyrone and mostly didnt get involved in any BS which is refreshing, even horse managed to control himself during the first half handbags. Donnelly, McAllisky and McCurry looked great in 2nd half but how are they gonna fair against a tighter defence? Still tho hopefully the 2nd half will be the confidence boost that we need at this point. All in all it was a job well done and showed that there is life and potential beyond the blanket.

I am pretty sure that the 3rd quarter sucked the life outta Tipp and the heads went down after being so pumped up. Wouldnt make much of the stamping he got the line and it was just frustration at the end of the day.

Fuzzman

Cheers TippAbu for yer honesty.
Basically the reason I ask was I was chatting to a lot of Tyrone people in Hayes that evening from all walks if life, living in all parts of the world, one home from Melbourne. We were talking about who Tyrone are perceived nowadays & how a lot  of people, especially from back home have this siege mentality now. They tend to say who cares if people think badly of us and see us as cynical or cheats due to Brolly's opinions and Southern media since Derrytresk etc.
We were saying that's just burying your head in the sand and it does matter what public opinion is about us. Away fans have it in their heads now that we will be dirty and cynical and win at all costs and that does create a bias that makes its way onto the field and will influence SOME referees.
Heaven forbid should we get to an AI final and lose then it will look so so bad that we don't talk to RTE at the banquet. Looks like sour grapes. I know, I know it won't happen. Relax.
All I'm asking is do people realise how bad our reputation is out their now and so it's vital we keep our noses clean for a while to shake off these controversies.
I fear though a POSSIBLE upcoming match with Monaghan could put all that to and end. Remember last time they meet in Croker.
Difference now though we don't have ONE dirty/hard man player any more.