Tipp v Tyrone 18/07/15 Thurles

Started by omagh_gael, July 13, 2015, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Harte had an excellent first half when he was moved to left half forward. McCurry and McAliskey weren't really doing much with whatever ball they were getting and it took Harte's move up the field to change that. He was a lot quieter in the second half as he wasn't needed with Donnelly and McAliskey stepping up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

CD

Quote from: beer baron on July 19, 2015, 10:07:57 AM
Very impressed with Tyrone Yesterday,the intensity in the tackle was at a level rarely seen outside the likes of Donegal recently but the big standout was Peter Harte,surprised more hasn't been made of his performance, had it all, was tackling ferociously,breaking at pace,creating attacks,getting scores and was available for the ball anytime a team mate needed him. If he continues playing like that he'll be going for an All star in my book.
I'd agree with that Baron. People who have seen Peter Harte for years, and know what an exceptional player he is, seem to almost expect a level of performance that would earn any other player a MOM award while he barely gets a mention.Would say the same about Donnelly and Sean Cavanagh as well. Cavanagh is consistently exceptional and yet his performances barely get a mention. There have been spells in the past three years when he has almost singlehandedly kept Tyrone going and he still gets a slating from 'fans'
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

TabClear

Decent performance from Tyrone yesterday, albeit the Tipp collapse was total.

I would be worried though about giving the kind of chances that Tyrone gave in the 1st half to a more clinical team. This match alongside the Donegal game probably highlights about where Tyrone are. Good enough to beat most teams and to give the top tier teams a decent challenge but ultimately unlikley to be able to sustain it for a full game against the best.

Redhand Santa

You know Harte is playing well when there's no talk of nephew on here. Hard to believe some people up to recently tried to say on here that he wasn't one of the best players in the county.

barelegs

Quote from: CD on July 19, 2015, 10:31:28 AM
Very impressed with Tyrone Yesterday,the intensity in the tackle was at a level rarely seen outside the likes of Donegal recently but the big standout was Peter Harte,surprised more hasn't been made of his performance, had it all, was tackling ferociously,breaking at pace,creating attacks,getting scores and was available for the ball anytime a team mate needed him. If he continues playing like that he'll be going for an All star in my book.
I'd agree with that Baron. People who have seen Peter Harte for years, and know what an exceptional player he is, seem to almost expect a level of performance that would earn any other player a MOM award while he barely gets a mention.Would say the same about Donnelly and Sean Cavanagh as well. Cavanagh is consistently exceptional and yet his performances barely get a mention. There have been spells in the past three years when he has almost singlehandedly kept Tyrone going and he still gets a slating from 'fans'

Harte was Tyrone's standout performer yesterday by a distance. Apart from a few handling errors in the first half against Meath he's been the pick of the Tyrone team in the championship. Was excellent against Donegal the first day as well.

Sean Cavanagh hasn't performed anywhere near his best for Tyrone this year yet and he was off the pace at times yesterday as well. He's lost a yard of pace and that was highlighted a couple of times in the first half. He's not going to make the impact at full forward I had hoped he could. At this stage Colm's probably the more important player in terms of contribution. Sean will start regardless but he's probably better deployed in a deeper role as this stage where he can pop up and take a point

It'll be interesting to see what Mickey does when Justy McMahon is fit to return. He's a nailed on starter for me but whether he just comes back in at centre half back in place of Joe remains to be seen.

I'd like to see Tyrone deploy a more traditional midfielder at some point alongside Colm. The reality for the last 3 games is that we've been operating with one. Peter Harte started the last two games at midfield and Mattie started yesterday. Given the counter attacking game we've been playing it's been covered up a little but I've a feeling we might get found out at some stage because of it. Thought McNulty did well when introduced yesterday and he's mobile enough to play that position if needs be.

The main worry going forward is finding a consistent enough forward to trouble the top teams. McCurry and McAliskey showed flashes that they might be able to do it, but they're not consistent enough. It was nearly our  undoing against Meath. The other issue is our free taking is still too hit and miss for my liking. If I was managing a team against Tyrone I'd be telling them to foul men anywhere up to 40 metres out and take my chances that Tyrone won't kick the frees.

ONeill

Quote from: barelegs on July 19, 2015, 10:50:56 AM
Quote from: CD on July 19, 2015, 10:31:28 AM

Sean Cavanagh hasn't performed anywhere near his best for Tyrone this year yet and he was off the pace at times yesterday as well. He's lost a yard of pace and that was highlighted a couple of times in the first half. He's not going to make the impact at full forward I had hoped he could.

Sean's point scoring in the first half was crucial against Meath and to an extent yesterday. When McCurry and McAliskey's radars are off centre, you can trust Sean to swing a couple over. His point down the left hand side yesterday was sublime.

redhandefender

Petey harte and sean cav were pick of the bunch yesterday. Also full back line very strong again. Harte is now the main man.

Mc caliskey and mc curry getting smoke blown up their ass is false. They only stepped up when tipp fell away. mc caliskey is better than mc curry but both will crack under better opposition. unfortunately we have no other options in fwd line. Its a shame because behind the full fwd line i think we are very strong.

Long range frees will also kills us. Good teams will foul out there as they know morgan just doesn't have it.

I would love to see joe go to midfield if justy comes back. joe looks in terrific shape.

I would love us to take a big scalp and see what happens. for us to go the whole way mc caliskey and mc curry would need to move to a level i don't think they have

barelegs

I acknowledge he's popping up with some important scores, especially in the Meath game but he hasn't had the impact at full forward that I thought he could have. He gave a few sloppy passes yesterday especially in the first half when playing a bit closer to goal. Maybe I'm being harsh and basing it on performances in previous years but I just think he's not got close to the form he showed in 2013. A move a little deeper will negate any lost pace

Whishtup

In fairness, McCurry and McAliskey did the business in the second half.  McCurry's ball retention is much better these days.  If these two fire, which I believe they will, we will mount a serious challenge for any team.  Get the impression that Meyler took a bit of responsibilty off P Harte yesterday and at times was mistaken for Harte, making similar runs.  This is comforting that Pete doesn't have to be bursting himself every game with these pitch-long runs.  Sean looked like he had just got warmed up in the last ten minutes of the game-serious athlete.   

ONeill

What about yer Tipp man sledging McNabb on his bald patch!!!!

Rodman

Thought Meyler had an excellent debut game. Very confident and composed on the ball and did not look out of pace. In contrast to Richie Donnelly's debut.....hope to see Meyler nail down a place as he has allot to offer.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Whishtup on July 19, 2015, 11:26:25 AM
In fairness, McCurry and McAliskey did the business in the second half.  McCurry's ball retention is much better these days.  If these two fire, which I believe they will, we will mount a serious challenge for any team.  Get the impression that Meyler took a bit of responsibilty off P Harte yesterday and at times was mistaken for Harte, making similar runs.  This is comforting that Pete doesn't have to be bursting himself every game with these pitch-long runs.  Sean looked like he had just got warmed up in the last ten minutes of the game-serious athlete.   

Both players McCurry & McAliskey done reasonably well but were up against a poor defence. Harder tests await and yet to be convinced they can produce. I think McCurry ball retention is his weakness, he is weak in contact and is dispossessed easily enough. However, he is a scorer and if we can provide the chances he will take them for sure. Is incredibly accurate. McAliskey IMO is the better of the two and has played decent to date in patches but we need more from him. PH is quality, very competent all round footballer who should be our no.11 in every game - has vision, can pass, can run with pace, is direct and can score. With luck and these players going well, a semi final is achievable. Finally, any man who questions Sean C hasn't a clue after that man has carried us on his back for last few years. As good an athlete and player we have ever produced when you reflect on his 12+ years as a key player for us. Not in class of Canavan or King Frank but possibly next in line

redzone

Meyler played reasonably well considering he was away on a holiday with the Omagh lads all week.

tyroneman

Have heard it said a lot of times Justy should be in MF...........

tippabu

Embarrassing yesterday, I really felt this was our chance to take that next step but instead we got a massive wake up call. our fitness levels are nowhere near the top teams decision, making left alot to be desired too. Peter creedon has brought us on a long way and made the decision earlier in the year that this was his last year, big appointment now to see where we go from here