Tipp v Tyrone 18/07/15 Thurles

Started by omagh_gael, July 13, 2015, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Very clear from above and press release that once you get to round 4 they avoid repeat pairings where possible. They don't in the earlier rounds.

In hiding

Tyrone can either play Monaghan or Sligo but not Donegal

Main Street

It's inspirational to read about the red arses beating their breasts in heroic positive anticipation of what lies ahead.
I take that as a conditional, provisional, positive vote of (temporary) confidence  in Mickey Harte and that he's finally managing the team in such a way to meet your so 'knowledgeable' standards.

Gabriel_Hurl

omagh_gael

Main Street is getting the shakes already, the red arses v the Farney in Brewster in a fortnight?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on July 18, 2015, 11:24:49 PM
It's inspirational to read about the red arses beating their breasts in heroic positive anticipation of what lies ahead.
I take that as a conditional, provisional, positive vote of (temporary) confidence  in Mickey Harte and that he's finally managing the team in such a way to meet your so 'knowledgeable' standards.

Its inspirational to read a Monaghan man still worrying about Tyrone on the eve of his own team playing in an Ulster Final.
That was never a square ball!!

Whishtup

Made the Journey over from Clare from the game today.  Delighted to get to the home of hurling as the chance rarely comes up if you are a Tyrone supporter.  Nearly went to the 'Trip to Tipp' in '97 but even that fell through. 
                  Have to say that the stadium and pitch are excellent and suited Tyrone right down to the ground.  Atmosphere was pleasant, weather wasn't bad and was able to change seating in second half to keep near to the play which was thankfully in the Tipp half most of the time!
                  Good close first half.  What impressed me about Tyrone in the first half was the tenacity of tackle/blocks and legitimate turnovers once Tipp got past the 45.  What didn't go so well was the shooting of our forwards, telepathed cross-field kicks and highish balls into our forwards, who are not the tallest.  However, not a bad showing.  Always felt that Tyrone were just sucking the life out of Tipp by packing the defence and breaking at speed and that this would tell in the second half.
                Reffing was poor enough with soft frees on both sides, perhaps Tyrone benefitting the most.  The melee before half time was also handled badly- Awarding Tipp a free and then awarding a throw ball (leading to another shirt pulling session).
               Tyrone stepped it up after the second half and Tipp players seemed hell-bent on injuring somebody which was ultimately to their detriment.  If this was a tactic then it was ill-informed as it cost them any chance of staying with Tyrone.  These players didn't need to do that and I wish that they had continued to play in the same vein as in the first half.
               Whatever Mickey said to McAliskey and McCurry at half time must have worked as they really stood up.  If they do that from the first whistle, then we have a serious team.  After the Tipp player got sent off and O'Brien was subbed, it was game over.  Tyrone's superior fitness and conditioning was very evident in the second half and this is reassuring for the games going forward.  Meyler put in a good shift, Bradley was buzzing around and doing plenty of scouldin about poor balls coming into the forward line-I like to see that communication.  Sean was Sean-tireless.  Matty Donnelly has had better days-looked more comfortable near the end when he was around the half forward line.  Defence was good.  McCann dynamic.
               All-in-all, a good day at he office with much room for improvement but I feel some sense of momentum and familiarity with that second-half performance. 

Roll on Mayo...

ONeill

Quote from: Whishtup on July 18, 2015, 11:56:56 PM
                   Made the Journey over from Clare from the game today.  Delighted to get to the home of hurling as the chance rarely comes up if you are a Tyrone supporter.  Nearly went to the 'Trip to Tipp' in '97 but even that fell through. 
                  Have to say that the stadium and pitch are excellent and suited Tyrone right down to the ground.  Atmosphere was pleasant, weather wasn't bad and was able to change seating in second half to keep near to the play which was thankfully in the Tipp half most of the time!
                  Good close first half.  What impressed me about Tyrone in the first half was the tenacity of tackle/blocks and legitimate turnovers once Tipp got past the 45.  What didn't go so well was the shooting of our forwards, telepathed cross-field kicks and highish balls into our forwards, who are not the tallest.  However, not a bad showing.  Always felt that Tyrone were just sucking the life out of Tipp by packing the defence and breaking at speed and that this would tell in the second half.
                Reffing was poor enough with soft frees on both sides, perhaps Tyrone benefitting the most.  The melee before half time was also handled badly- Awarding Tipp a free and then awarding a throw ball (leading to another shirt pulling session).
               Tyrone stepped it up after the second half and Tipp players seemed hell-bent on injuring somebody which was ultimately to their detriment.  If this was a tactic then it was ill-informed as it cost them any chance of staying with Tyrone.  These players didn't need to do that and I wish that they had continued to play in the same vein as in the first half.
               Whatever Mickey said to McAliskey and McCurry at half time must have worked as they really stood up.  If they do that from the first whistle, then we have a serious team.  After the Tipp player got sent off and O'Brien was subbed, it was game over.  Tyrone's superior fitness and conditioning was very evident in the second half and this is reassuring for the games going forward.  Meyler put in a good shift, Bradley was buzzing around and doing plenty of scouldin about poor balls coming into the forward line-I like to see that communication.  Sean was Sean-tireless.  Matty Donnelly has had better days-looked more comfortable near the end when he was around the half forward line.  Defence was good.  McCann dynamic.
               All-in-all, a good day at he office with much room for improvement but I feel some sense of momentum and familiarity with that second-half performance. 

Roll on Mayo...

Agree with this:

What impressed me about Tyrone in the first half was the tenacity of tackle/blocks and legitimate turnovers once Tipp got past the 45.  What didn't go so well was the shooting of our forwards, telepathed cross-field kicks and highish balls into our forwards, who are not the tallest.

Totally disagree with this:

Matty Donnelly has had better days-looked more comfortable near the end when he was around the half forward line.

I thought he was MOTM by far.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Whishtup

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:06:26 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on July 18, 2015, 11:56:56 PM

Roll on Mayo...

Agree with this:

What impressed me about Tyrone in the first half was the tenacity of tackle/blocks and legitimate turnovers once Tipp got past the 45.  What didn't go so well was the shooting of our forwards, telepathed cross-field kicks and highish balls into our forwards, who are not the tallest.

Totally disagree with this:

Matty Donnelly has had better days-looked more comfortable near the end when he was around the half forward line.

I thought he was MOTM by far.

1st half coughed up some important possession and kicked the ball away a few times.  Only when Tyrone were flying did he come into his own.  Wouldn't be without him but feel that he has so much more to offer...

ONeill

I thought he was responsible for most of the turnovers in the first half. His tackling was phenomenal.

Fuzzman

ONeill, you really thought Mattie was MOTM?
What fuckin game where you watching or are you on the Wum.
We probably expect too much from him but surely he must understand by now you can't always slow the game down that much and that his forwards need early ball without this physical battle he always entices on himself. He rarely tries a pass & go move. Instead prefers to show how strong he is by shrugging a man off.

I too was very disappointed with first half dominance but second game in a row little to show for it on the scoreboard.

Second half, best display since Donegal game but too many negative minded fans blame Tipp for being poor as opposed to us being well up for it & playing well.
Yes after we went 5 ahead Tipps head dropped.

I've been critical for years of M.Harte and our style of play but today I liked what I saw, especially 2nd half.
The urgency and fight we lacked v Limerick & Meath was there from the start today. It was as if they realised Tipp are dangerous with their home fans so we can't give them a sniff otherwise they'll believe.

We're not gonna win Sam BUT it's a lot more exciting that watching the Dubs win games after 20 mins with my kids in Croker.
But don't tell the Dubs that. They like sure things with no excitement or atmosphere until AIFD

An Watcher

One of Donnellys biggest fans but the number of sluggish passes and poor kicks in the first half was serious.  Would never take him off and he was much improved in the second half.  Also thought McCurry was poor but in fairness he also improved.  Thought peter harte was excellent throughout

ONeill

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

The same game you saw. Donnelly broke up the majority of Tipp attacks in the first half. To suggest anything else is mind boggling.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ONeill on July 19, 2015, 12:53:35 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 19, 2015, 12:46:49 AM

The same game you saw. Donnelly broke up the majority of Tipp attacks in the first half. To suggest anything else is mind boggling.

On top of that he was in possession more times than any other player in what was supposedly a poor first half performance. He has set very high standards, it seems that he will be criticised if he falls even slightly below them. His second half was superb and hopefully we'll see more of his kicking from distance next time out.

Before the game I suggested that our full forward line could do damage if given a bit of ball. 13 points from the starting inside three is a good return.

I think our style is developing nicely game by game, who knows, we might even cause a few problems for some of the big boys, like Monaghan or Sligo.

By the way, Main Street's comments are just typical of his petty attitude to all things Tyrone. His justification for his choice of word earlier today, was equally as pathetic.
That was never a square ball!!

beer baron

Very impressed with Tyrone Yesterday,the intensity in the tackle was at a level rarely seen outside the likes of Donegal recently but the big standout was Peter Harte,surprised more hasn't been made of his performance, had it all, was tackling ferociously,breaking at pace,creating attacks,getting scores and was available for the ball anytime a team mate needed him. If he continues playing like that he'll be going for an All star in my book.