What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Keep it simple, consider the best 42" Panasonic plasma you can get for around £400 and compare it to other similarly priced plasmas, then chose the Panasonic.

Ulick

Have to say I'm enjoying 3D on the telly I got before Christmas. Thought it was shite originally then I got a couple of quality rips off TPB and it's pretty good. Couldn't watch it for more then an hour and a half though. Really needs to be a made for 3D movie as well to make it worthwhile watching. The effects in this one are superb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1365048/ - Kind of Crouching Tiger meets Avatar meeting Debbie Does Dallas.  :D

ludermor

Sorry for asking a stupid question but with the phasing out of analogue TV how do the new TV pick up a signal? I wont have a sky box so does that mean i have to get a freeview box ( and then do i haev a get a dish?)

Ulick

Nah, all tellys have digital tuners build into them now. Just plug your aerial in as and it'll pick-up the Freeview channels.

Sandino

ASDA have a 40 inch samsung for £345, 1080 at the moment. Seems like agood deal.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

ludermor

Cheers Ulick, i went into Maplins and the gimp working there was trying to sell me a super receiver/tuner set ...
Getting my head mangled looking for smart TV's and the like now!

Ulick

Maplins in grand if you know what you are after and need it in a hurry, otherwise I wouldn't bother as their stuff is usually overpriced (compared to web) and a lot of the time doesn't do what you'd expect it to do. For example I was in last year for something and they were selling a load of media players at what seemed a very low price. The boys at the counter were giving it the hard sale until I reeled off a number of fairly standard video formats and asked if it could handle them (it couldn't), if it could play HD (it could he said) so I asked what file system it used. After looking it up he said FAT32, which basically meant it wouldn't handle files over 4Gb i.e. pretty much any HD file over an hour long.   

Main Street

On the inbuilt free view tuners
The Panasonic 42" plasma has the DVB-T2 free view tuner inbuilt, as distinct from the Samsung which has the cheaper, older DVB-T tuner.
I just thought I'd mention that   :)

BennyCake

I'm looking at a wee TV for the spare room. Most have Freeview built-in.

Do I need a rooftop aerial for it, or should I be able to receive a quality picture without one?

Also, do all Freeview enabled TVs now pick up RTE, TG4 etc?

AQMP

Quote from: BennyCake on February 07, 2012, 04:21:30 PM
I'm looking at a wee TV for the spare room. Most have Freeview built-in.

Do I need a rooftop aerial for it, or should I be able to receive a quality picture without one?

Also, do all Freeview enabled TVs now pick up RTE, TG4 etc?

That thorny question is a whole other thread...

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=18064.0

armaghniac

QuoteDo I need a rooftop aerial for it, or should I be able to receive a quality picture without one?

Depends where you are. Do you get analogue TV without an aerial?

QuoteAlso, do all Freeview enabled TVs now pick up RTE, TG4 etc?

It is not really all that thorny a question. Pretty much any Saorview approved TV will pick up Freeview. Any FreeView HD TV will almost certainly be fine for Saorview.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on February 07, 2012, 04:52:15 PM
QuoteDo I need a rooftop aerial for it, or should I be able to receive a quality picture without one?

Depends where you are. Do you get analogue TV without an aerial?

I do. It's watchable most of the time (with a indoor aerial).

armaghniac

QuoteI do. It's watchable most of the time (with a indoor aerial).

Then in October the digital signal should be fine. At present the power of the digital signal is reduced, but when the analogue is turned off they will turn it up full blast. They'll be doing tests on this during the middle of the night before then, if you fancy tuning your set about 4am.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

STREET FIGHTER

Any bargains to be had @ the minute?

What's the most important criteria to look out for and what are the best brands?

Thinking between 46-50''.