Laptop to TV

Started by Fun Bobby, November 04, 2008, 10:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fun Bobby

Lads and lasses,

Is it possible to hook up the Laptop to the TV, if so what kind of lead should i use?

Donagh

Quote from: Fun Bobby on November 04, 2008, 10:41:34 AM
Lads and lasses,

Is it possible to hook up the Laptop to the TV, if so what kind of lead should i use?

Depends on the outputs on your laptop and inputs on your tv. Most laptops will have an S-video output that you can use, not the best quality though. If your tv doesn't have S-video in you can get cables with S-video at one end and the standard yellow video cable at the other. S-video doesn't carry audio, so you'll have to do that separately with a jack to twin phono lead.

Actually there are that many different permutations you'd be better telling us the type of laptop and tv you have...

Gnevin

Quote from: Fun Bobby on November 04, 2008, 10:41:34 AM
Lads and lasses,

For the price of them now and the quality I'd recommend getting a x box and streaming through it from the laptop
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

theskull1

For HD downloads I take it that the PS3 would be a better option than the X-Box? Or is there no difference between the two in this regard (knowing that X-Box isn't bluray disc compatible)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Donagh

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on November 04, 2008, 11:22:07 AM
I hope I'm getting this right as I havent the lead in front of me - I think the port I use from my laptop is the 15-pin one (VGA I think) and my TV has a VGA port also. Picture quality is brilliant but have to use a separate lead for sound - cost of both leads came to about 4 quid.

From talking to more qualified techie type people HDMI is your man. I have that on the telly but not on the laptop.

Yeah, I use DVI (digital version of VGA) and run that into the HDMI slot on the telly. Neither VGA nor DVI carry audio so I have a separate lead for that.

Gnevin

Quote from: theskull1 on November 04, 2008, 11:30:48 AM
For HD downloads I take it that the PS3 would be a better option than the X-Box? Or is there no difference between the two in this regard (knowing that X-Box isn't bluray disc compatible)

For HD downloads the new X-box with the HDMI is on a par with the PS3. For a blue-ray player the PS3 still is one of the best and most up todate on the market but does have a minor sound issue if your using a amp too.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.