No Wexford team in Leinster Club SFC

Started by thebandit, November 03, 2008, 03:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

QuoteWEXFORD SFC FINAL: NEWLY-CROWNED Wexford senior football champions Kilanerin have pulled out of the Leinster championship. Kilanerin, who won the county title on Saturday, were scheduled to play Navan O'Mahony's in their opening round game yesterday, 24 hours after winning the title for the first time since 2003.

However, club chairman Pat Murray said the decision was left to the players and they decided it would not be right to play the game just 24 hours after winning the title. "We would have loved to have represented Wexford in the Leinster championship . . . but given the knocks and injury count, we would have been fielding short at least six to seven players."

So for the first time Wexford will not be represented in the Leinster championship brought about by the failure of the County Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to play any championship games in May, with only one round played in both senior hurling and football during the summer.

An awful indictment of any county board.

An Laoch

Waterford footballers in same boat, and their hurlers heading the same way if there's a replay needed in the DLS v Abbeyside game

bingobus

Quote from: thebandit on November 03, 2008, 03:30:07 PM
QuoteWEXFORD SFC FINAL: NEWLY-CROWNED Wexford senior football champions Kilanerin have pulled out of the Leinster championship. Kilanerin, who won the county title on Saturday, were scheduled to play Navan O'Mahony's in their opening round game yesterday, 24 hours after winning the title for the first time since 2003.

However, club chairman Pat Murray said the decision was left to the players and they decided it would not be right to play the game just 24 hours after winning the title. "We would have loved to have represented Wexford in the Leinster championship . . . but given the knocks and injury count, we would have been fielding short at least six to seven players."

So for the first time Wexford will not be represented in the Leinster championship brought about by the failure of the County Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) to play any championship games in May, with only one round played in both senior hurling and football during the summer.

An awful indictment of any county board.

It will be more common in some counties at the current rate of doing things. I hear our county managers plans for club football fixtures in 2009 that he "unveiled" at the fixtures committee meeting last thursday where nothing short of disgraceful.

thejuice

yeah they would have played O'Mahoneys yesterday. Why couldnt it be played at a later date? its a pity alright. Forde was on song kicking 11 of their 1-12 tally.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Model Hammer

Quote from: thejuice on November 03, 2008, 09:09:35 PM
yeah they would have played O'Mahoneys yesterday. Why couldnt it be played at a later date? its a pity alright. Forde was on song kicking 11 of their 1-12 tally.

FFS juice, how do you think we got to this sorry state of affairs in the first place?! It's an absolute disgrace to be playing a Co Final in November. All the lip service will be paid to the Club players of the country for another year no doubt while nothing is actually done. The myopia never ceases to amaze me. The idea of holding up the Club Championship is ostensibly to maximise the chances of the County team in this year's All-Ireland. Does anybody consider the fact that you alienate, frustrate and probably lose the County players of the future, who are made sit on their holes all summer with empty promises of fixtures revisited and revisited again ad nauseum.

And by the way the MH v WX first round game was already put back a week when the WX Co Board were shocked to realise that their finely tuned County Football Championship "schedule" wouldn't produce a representative by 26 Oct, the original fixture. So they got their week's grace which gave them 3 weekends to play Quarters, Semis and Final. They hadn't finished clapping themselves on the back when Adamstown and Shels then drew their QF after Extra-Time. WHAT WERE THE CHANCES? 1,000/1 !!  ::) ::)

Aw don't start me.

Kilanerin were dead right to refuse to play. The Co Board are the ones who should have the public egg on their faces here (not for the first time this year), not the County Champions.

Kerry Mike

You think Wexford is bad....

As the only club team left in the Kerry championship, Kerins O'Rahilly's will represent Kerry in the Munster club championship.
Rahilly's will play Nemo Rangers next weekend before they face into their senior county final against Mid Kerry probably the following weekend. With the Munster club fixtures now taking precedence that game will now have to be played first, not ideal preperation for either game and a huge test of their panel and Jack O'Connor's management but K.O'R's v Nemo should be a cracker.

And our County Intermediate final is on the 5th with the winners playing in Munster next Sunday  >:(
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Model Hammer on November 03, 2008, 10:19:13 PM

And by the way the MH v WX first round game was already put back a week when the WX Co Board were shocked to realise that their finely tuned County Football Championship "schedule" wouldn't produce a representative by 26 Oct, the original fixture. So they got their week's grace which gave them 3 weekends to play Quarters, Semis and Final. They hadn't finished clapping themselves on the back when Adamstown and Shels then drew their QF after Extra-Time. WHAT WERE THE CHANCES? 1,000/1 !!  ::) ::)

Seems a bit ridiculous alright. If I've picked you on correctly, they were only playing q/finals on 12th October which is inexcusable considering Wexford have been out of the championship since the end of August.

We need a 4 week time period  in April / May time  before the intercounty championship starts when county boards should be obliged to get at least one round of the county championship played.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: bingobus on November 03, 2008, 05:46:56 PM
It will be more common in some counties at the current rate of doing things. I hear our county managers plans for club football fixtures in 2009 that he "unveiled" at the fixtures committee meeting last thursday where nothing short of disgraceful.
Do tell. I had heard that there would be no back door in next year's Championship in Monaghan. Is that not true, and if so, would it not ease things a bit?

Top of the hill

Derry have a group stage in their SFC and IFC. 4 groups of 4 teams. top 2 from each going into qtr finals. That is six rounds of matches, 3 in group, Qf, Sf and final. And they still finished their SFC on time even with replays at QF and SF stage.

Although they were probably helped by the fact the county team got knocked out early in Ulster and the qualifiers.
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

aroundincircles

Every time i lift the papers county boards and ulster munster leinster and connaught councils are running courses on player burn out where does this come in. FFS the people running county football give do not give a    f**k  about club football clearly it is only a nuisance to them.