Asthma

Started by youngfella, October 30, 2008, 01:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I've just being to see the asthma nurse, she made me breathe into this were machine connected to her computer, I have the lungs of a 68 year old. Sweet jesus. SO i have a new inhaler to take now thats suppose to fix me.

My asthma is normally fine but recently (2 months) its being playing up something shockin, it wakes me during the night as i cant draw breath.

Anyone else having silmar troubles?
Pull hard and early

SidelineKick

F*ck me youngfella its just not your year is it?!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Abble

youngfella do you do a bit of exercise, eg some running where you are getting air into your lungs...?

you dont say anything about asthma attacks....so i assume you dont get severe asthma...more mild asthma ? bit still enough to cause you discomfort ?

i used to get it when i was youngfella, how young are you at the minute ?

aerobic exercise, running, rowing, etc are all good...you could grow out of it, i did. all depends though.

youngfella

Quote from: Abble on October 30, 2008, 01:23:09 PM
youngfella do you do a bit of exercise, eg some running where you are getting air into your lungs...?

you dont say anything about asthma attacks....so i assume you dont get severe asthma...more mild asthma ? bit still enough to cause you discomfort ?

i used to get it when i was youngfella, how young are you at the minute ?

aerobic exercise, running, rowing, etc are all good...you could grow out of it, i did. all depends though.

IM doing plenty of training at the minute, Ive been lucky enof not to get any attacks. Just ttrouble drawing breathe tightness.
Im in my early 20's, asthma used to just affect me when training or in a game, but now its having a laugh, need to carry an puffer with me all the time
Pull hard and early

johnneycool

Yes, I'm asthmatic myself and it has been vey bad the last few weeks but I've put that down to a lack of fitness as I haven't trained most of the year. coupled that with using a power saw to cut concrete in a confined space without a mask hasn't done the lungs much good this week.

I'm assuming your on the becotide preventative inhaler as well as the ventolin one you use when you get a bit tight.

Try reading about asthma on this link

http://www.buteykobreathing.org/

This link is probably better

http://www.buteyko.co.uk/buteyko-theory.htm

some Russian physician came up with an alternative view on asthma in so much that its a form of hyperventilation where the lungs are getting too much oxygen and close down the pipes accordingly.

I tried the breathing through the nose when i was in full training and tried to do a full warm up without breathing through the mouth, it's a whore at the start but you do notice a definite improvement if you persist. After a few months i stopped using the ventolin all together for training and games and never used either inhaler for years until now when I've stopped training in earnest.

I'll need to get back to doing something shortly but the rest of me is banjaxed as well.

It mightn'd be for everone but a change in breathing technique certainly helped me

toiletroller

young fella has no mates thats why he persists on these needless threads...... ::)

youngfella

Quote from: toiletroller on October 30, 2008, 02:08:34 PM
young fella has no mates thats why he persists on these needless threads...... ::)

Shhh people will find out.

I'll give it a go in training just breathing using the mouth. thanks for the links very good
Pull hard and early

johnneycool

Quote from: youngfella on October 30, 2008, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: toiletroller on October 30, 2008, 02:08:34 PM

Shhh people will find out.

I'll give it a go in training just breathing using the mouth. thanks for the links very good

Nose man, through the nose!!!

The Real Laoislad

Just out of a matter of intrest is there plenty of help and medication for Asthma sufferers these days?
Or is it a really serious disease nowadays?
Do some people suffer from it on a higher level than others?
Only ask because a little brother of mine died many years ago from a serious Asthma attack, at the time I know there wasn't much in terms of products to help him with his problem,I just wondered what the life of a Asthma sufferer is like now,Is it still a disease that can have fatal consequences?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Puckoon

LL Thats funny (for want of a better word) that you should mention that. My brother took a serious asthma attack on an overnight Ferry to france when he was 3, with no Doctor or medication on board. Was a long night and we just kept him breathing with plenty of wet hot towels over his bed in a makeshift kind of ventilator. My mother (a nurse) was really concerned he was'nt going to make it through the night.

My asthma came back 3 years ago after being away since I was a child. Im relatively fit, but walking a flight of stairs, or even chasing after the wee one has me needing the inhaler. Unfortunately I can see no end in sight for it.

Im on steroids and a regular salbuterol inhaler. I know from working in the research field - that there are plenty of people working like crazy on fully understanding the inflammation of the airways - to better the treatment for asthmatics.

Sad about your brother.

Treasurer

Coincidentally was just talking to a friend just yesterday about this - we're the fourth highest in the world apparently, with 80 reported deaths a year.

supersarsfields

I would suffer from it aswell, all be it a mild condition. Doesn't hit me too badly during the summer but always seem to get it worse when it's really cold like now. When there's a frost I can find it hard to catch my breath. Also I don' know if anyone else is affected like this but I'd always suffer the day after a night's drinking. The chest would get very rattley. Used to blame it on the smoke in pubs but can't be that anymore!!

ONeill

I never had it until I lived in Birmingham in my early 20s. Had a chest infection and the darn thing never cleared up. The doc over there said I had asthma and told me to take a few puffs of the Ventolin whenever I needed it. 6 years later and I couldn't even have a pint of stout without needing it. That was the funny thing - a pint would bring it on just as easily as running. It was mostly stout. The doc over here said that was common enough - some kind of yeast or hops allergy can set it off.

Anyway, was on the way out one night I thought. Had horrendous cold and was gasping for breath during the night, pumping the Ventolin into me with no results. Very scary. Went to casualty and was kept in for 24 hours as my peak reading was around 200 (550 is normal). The doc says I should never have been on the Ventolin as it was only relieving, not attempting to address the problem. Went on the Becotide (brown), a steroid, and she worked wonders after 1-2 months. Only needed it if having a laughter fit (once a year) or when battling a cold.

Got a bit too confident and eased off it over the summer. No immediate effects but recently had to start using the Ventolin when running/during the night because of the cold weather. Back on the steroid now, though the man boobs are some serious side-effect.

BTW, 2-3 cups of strong milkless coffees in a row has the same effect as 2 puffs, just in case you were caught short.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnneycool

Quote from: ONeill on October 30, 2008, 07:11:51 PM
I never had it until I lived in Birmingham in my early 20s. Had a chest infection and the darn thing never cleared up. The doc over there said I had asthma and told me to take a few puffs of the Ventolin whenever I needed it. 6 years later and I couldn't even have a pint of stout without needing it. That was the funny thing - a pint would bring it on just as easily as running. It was mostly stout. The doc over here said that was common enough - some kind of yeast or hops allergy can set it off.

Anyway, was on the way out one night I thought. Had horrendous cold and was gasping for breath during the night, pumping the Ventolin into me with no results. Very scary. Went to casualty and was kept in for 24 hours as my peak reading was around 200 (550 is normal). The doc says I should never have been on the Ventolin as it was only relieving, not attempting to address the problem. Went on the Becotide (brown), a steroid, and she worked wonders after 1-2 months. Only needed it if having a laughter fit (once a year) or when battling a cold.

Got a bit too confident and eased off it over the summer. No immediate effects but recently had to start using the Ventolin when running/during the night because of the cold weather. Back on the steroid now, though the man boobs are some serious side-effect.

BTW, 2-3 cups of strong milkless coffees in a row has the same effect as 2 puffs, just in case you were caught short.

It was the constant chest infections as a youngster that brought on my asthma, I'd be getting maybe 4 or 5 infections a year with antibiotics being pumped into me. That followed me through most of my teenage years until I made a conscious decision to stop taking the antibiotocs and after a few phlegm ridden months I haven't been as bad since as the imune system has got a chance to rebuild.
I still get the odd chest infection but a few dispirin and an early night sort it out now.