Now the coffers are running dry in Mayo

Started by Barney, October 29, 2008, 08:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

What other County Board could go and develop a ground (that will never be filled) right at the start of a recession:

Quote'Mayo News'

County Board 'very strapped for cash'
Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Treasurer admits Mayo GAA Board is 'very strapped for cash' right now

Daniel Carey

TREASURER JP Lambe told last Tuesday's meeting in the Welcome Inn Hotel that Mayo GAA Board is 'very strapped for cash'.

"The end of October is the end of the financial year, and hopefully we'll be in credit," said the Garrymore clubman, who said 'a long dragged-out campaign' had been necessary to get cheques off some clubs this year. "No club took up the offer to pay their levy early, so you'll be hit with the full levy next March. Everyone is looking for money up front nowadays, and the County Board is very strapped for cash because of the McHale Park redevelopment."
As a result, Lambe warned, the Board 'won't be in a position to pay levies for clubs', as they did in some cases this year. He said there was a loan of €9 million for McHale Park, and that there 'may be an increase' in the amount being sought from the Mayo GAA Development Draw.
"We're financially strong at the moment but, like our government, there's rough times ahead," Lambe concluded.
McHale Park

County Board Chairman James Waldron told the meeting that naming rights would be up for grabs in a sponsorship package which the McHale Park Finance Committee are currently putting together. The committee met on Monday of last week and the package will be announced shortly.
"Everything is going according to schedule," the Chairman said of the McHale Park redevelopment. "When it's completed, it's something everyone in the county will be proud of. It'll be one of the finest stadiums in the country outside of Croke Park."

Work may need to be completed 'a few weeks early', as Mayo hope to host Leitrim or Roscommon in mid-June, provided they beat New York in the championship opener. No more games will be played at the county ground this year.

Tubberman

It's not surprising that cash is in short supply when they're building a new stand (badly needed). But this is the bit that I really don't like:

QuoteCounty Board Chairman James Waldron told the meeting that naming rights would be up for grabs in a sponsorship package which the McHale Park Finance Committee are currently putting together.

So does this mean Mayo will be playing in 'Staunton Park' or 'Elvery's McHale Park'?

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

If I'd enough money I'd go for "Tampax Bowl".

:D This could be fun!

'Shell Stadium' maybe??  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Barney on October 29, 2008, 08:27:19 AM
What other County Board could go and develop a ground (that will never be filled) right at the start of a recession:

I dont know what the recession has to do with it Barney. If anything any building work is a positive in these times.
A lot of clubs in the county are undertaking re-developments too, recession or no recession.
McHale park was fairly run down in recent years, especially at the media-box side.
I think there is a hope that the county board/McHale park will get more games and fixtures during the year.

neilthemac

Main Street

Quote from: AbbeySider on October 29, 2008, 10:32:19 AM

I dont know what the recession has to do with it Barney. If anything any building work is a positive in these times.
A lot of clubs in the county are undertaking re-developments too, recession or no recession.
McHale park was fairly run down in recent years, especially at the media-box side.
I think there is a hope that the county board/McHale park will get more games and fixtures during the year.
I´d imagine that Mayo CC get at least matching funds for the project.
You only get that in the good times.
In recession times, those goodies are harder to come by.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Main Street on October 29, 2008, 11:51:48 AM
I´d imagine that Mayo CC get at least matching funds for the project.
You only get that in the good times.
In recession times, those goodies are harder to come by.

Any funds/grants promised for this development would be secured long ago.
The belt may tighten for new projects, not those with construction started id say.

Barney

Abbeysider I know McHale Park is run down, and some of the facilities are not up to standard. The positives of the building work are welcomed by the successful construction company that would have tendered for the work.

What is the benefit to the County in spending so much on the place though?

Surely a training pitch with floodlights, an improved School of Excellence would be a much better way to progress, and maybe look down at a scaled down development.

Anyway is it realistic to have everything finished before the Summer?

dodo

Apparently there was uproar in Ballyglass in south Mayo when word got out about the redevelopment. Rumour had it that one of the local pubs was willing to sponsor the stadium as it was. The owner of the 'Old Ground' has now decided against it. On hearing this the other neighbouring bar has allegedly come up with a package to sponsor the McHale park development, this will be known as the 'Squealing Pig' slush fund.

:P

mylestheslasher

Have to say Kingspan are a great sponsor to the Cavan team but I hate the fact that our ground, the oldest in Ulster, is called Kiingspan Breffni Park. I think it is sad to rename things that have great historical importance for the sake of a few euros.

GalwayBayBoy

screenexile

Quote'Mayo News'

County Board 'very strapped for cash'
Tuesday, 28 October 2008

Treasurer admits Mayo GAA Board is 'very strapped for cash' right now

Daniel Carey

TREASURER JP Lambe told last Tuesday's meeting in the Welcome Inn Hotel that Mayo GAA Board is 'very strapped for cash'.

"The end of October is the end of the financial year, and hopefully we'll be in credit," said the Garrymore clubman, who said 'a long dragged-out campaign' had been necessary to get cheques off some clubs this year. "No club took up the offer to pay their levy early, so you'll be hit with the full levy next March. Everyone is looking for money up front nowadays, and the County Board is very strapped for cash because of the McHale Park redevelopment."
As a result, Lambe warned, the Board 'won't be in a position to pay levies for clubs', as they did in some cases this year. He said there was a loan of €9 million for McHale Park, and that there 'may be an increase' in the amount being sought from the Mayo GAA Development Draw.
"We're financially strong at the moment but, like our government, there's rough times ahead," Lambe concluded.
McHale Park

County Board Chairman James Waldron told the meeting that naming rights would be up for grabs in a sponsorship package which the McHale Park Finance Committee are currently putting together. The committee met on Monday of last week and the package will be announced shortly.
"Everything is going according to schedule," the Chairman said of the McHale Park redevelopment. "When it's completed, it's something everyone in the county will be proud of. It'll be one of the finest stadiums in the country outside of Croke Park."

Work may need to be completed 'a few weeks early', as Mayo hope to host Leitrim or Roscommon in mid-June, provided they beat New York in the championship opener. No more games will be played at the county ground this year.

Step right up Derry County board!!!!

Celtic park is being redeveloped as we speak!

muppet

How about:

Utterly Butterly Park?

or

Fishy Fishy Park?
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

That'd be ok bensars, but we do ok in Castlebar in general. Ya hoor ya!! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.