Horror Movies

Started by DrinkingHarp, October 27, 2008, 03:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

So its a week before halloween and tons of horror movies on tv.

I don't care for them myself, most are cheesy.

What are your favorites or the ones you hate?

Dislike
Any Mike Myer movies, saw or scream movies

Cujo, Birds and Abott and Costello meet the Mummy

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

J70

I like ones like Saw that have some basis in reality. Something that could actually happen is far more terrifying than some supernatural bullshit. I remember being riveted during the first hour or so of Jeepers Creepers, thinking there was some sick hillbilly on the loose pursuing them in that van. The moment they revealed that alien creature, I lost complete interest.

new devil

Went to see Saw 5 friday night just as good as the previous 4

Arthur_Friend

Canalman

Not a great fan either though The Fog really scared me as a kid, especially where the Fog surrounds the DJ on her own in the lighthouse.
The Omen is also a class flick as is a relatively new movie called Dog Soldiers about a squad of British soldiers encountering werewolves in Scotland.

Those Ring movies were muck imo as was the Blair Witch.

The Corporal

Dog Soldiers was a great low budget horror, I also liked The Descent by the same director.

Absolutely love the Saw movies as well as the Alien films too. Anyone remember watching IT as a kid? Scary stuff!

under the bar

The original Nightmare on Elm street was a great film.  Like many others it was ruined by cheap sequels. 

The Excorcist will never be surpassed tho.

5 Sams

Quote from: under the bar on October 27, 2008, 10:22:47 AM
The original Nightmare on Elm street was a great film.  Like many others it was ruined by cheap sequels. 

The Excorcist will never be surpassed tho.

100% agree UTB....the only film ever to scare the bejasus out of me. :o
The Aristocrat Years

nrico2006

I suppose it comes down to what type of horror you watch, as in a realistic movie with a nut in it or a supernatural one.

Dog Soldiers was a good movie, and would be of similar fear factor to the like of Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days later.

I have re-watched a few over the past couple of months which were scary.  Obviously its all down to how the individual reacts (how macho they are etc) but try watching something like Candyman (the first one), Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street in a house at night on your own - scare the crap out of you.  Stephen Kings IT/Dream Catcher is also scary as hell.  I haven't seen the movie Pet Cemetry in a while but read the book again recently and I imagine the movie would be scary as hell.

The like of Wolf Creek is supposedly fact based and it has no supernatural element to it but it would be high on the list.  Fallen with Denzel is a good film and the original SAW is up there too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Over the Bar

I recorded SAW 2 last night.  Is it worth watching?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I'll just mention one movie - Salems Lot.... first watched when I was a youngfella, terrified the bejaysus out of me - window scene one of the all time greats in horror terms!
Tbc....

corn02

SAW is dirt.  Original Amytiville is quite decent.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

SAW 2 was good enough but the 3rd was dirt so I never watched the 4th or 5th. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on October 27, 2008, 12:29:10 PM
I'll just mention one movie - Salems Lot.... first watched when I was a youngfella, terrified the bejaysus out of me - window scene one of the all time greats in horror terms!
Someone beat me to it! I remember watching it in my cousins house sometime in the 80's. They lived in a bungalow and later that night my cousin went to the bog so everyone snuck around outside to the toilet window and started scratching the window with a branch! Jesus he near had a canary and was crying like a baby! Can't say I'd have been any different.

As a rule though I'm no fan of horrors. Didn't rate the likes of Wolf Creek at all. The Omen, Salems Lot, Exorcist definitely made an impact when I was younger and too young to be watching such films!