Ulster Club Hurling League

Started by Lecale2, January 05, 2007, 01:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

i thought the north antrim teams weren't taking the Ulster hurling serious, we went to Ballycastle and they had the full team out bar one or two at the most. good competitive game only for the poor finishing in the first half by Naomh Gall the game would have been a lot closer. loughgiel beaten at the weekend are the Cranns looking to do well this year

theskull1

Sure is that not the way you would want it milltown? Taking it seriously is the only way we're going to improve hurling and since the county is not doing much at the moment hurling wise then it leaves clubs with full complements of players.

Dunloy played Ballinascreen on Saturday evening in a good free flowing game (which was a feat in itself considering it was played on a "football pitch" (bumpy as f%$k). Won easy in the end as would have been expected but Ballinascreen fought to the final whistle and had some good passages aof play during the game. I'd say they definately got something from it although I don't know how their touch will ever improve having to train on that pitch.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

your right skull and all the players enjoyed the game. it was just we heard that they had not many of their first team out against yourselves a week earlier. got a run out myself great pitch and the facilities are top notch

Spiritof98

Milltown where you playing in the friendly with Cuchullianns the other week, did you's have many 1st teamers about that night, seen CJ McCourty there. A good victory for us but would like to know how it could be measured. This ulster league really does benefit teams like us and we are just greatful at all the competive games we can get.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

The Truth

Does anyone know if Lavey have pulled out or are still involved?
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

theskull1

Don't think they have pulled out. I believe that Derry Co Board have fixed alot of ACL matches on Saturday evenings, so they obviously take precedent. I wouild have thought that they should be refixing these fixtures though to mid week where they can
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Spiritof98

Quote from: rolloutking on April 26, 2007, 12:32:41 AM
A valid point there Spirit. The UL is definitely a good idea in terms of raising the standard in the weaker counties but unless Ballycran, Dunloy, Cushendall play their younger/fringe players they wont get much benefit out of it. There's no point in them landing with a squad of county players togging out and giving the opposition an almighty batin'. Long term the UL may reduce the gap between Antrim, Down and the rest and make competitions somewhat more competitive.

However it needs to be taking seriously and teams entering and then pulling out i.e. Kevin Lynch's is making a farce of it. Your either in or your out and playing an UL match on Saturday and then  Derry league game on Sunday should be no problem. Surely you have 25 guys who could all get a run over the weakend, saving your stronger plays for the Derry league and giving a few minors a game on the Saturday. If you don't have a panel then your a very unfit bunch of fellas who cant go two days in a row, its ten times better than any drills or pickup matches.

The gap in the standard of refereeing is also alarming. Last week we had a ref who blew instantly if he heard and contant of sticks in a tackle, while in a county league match three days later we had a ref who let everything go and in the end had a very hard but reasonably fair and free flowing game. Also we last year we had a case where a referee was in charge in one of our minor games and got a bit of stick from players and mentors. We went to Sarsfields the week after and he was the man in the middle again aand it was clear he held a grudge from the week before and gave us no protection from wild pulls and off the ball punches. The result was a riot and the match being abandoned. This was a mistake on Ulster Councils part and in the UL the same referee should not get the same team for two games, never mind twice in 7 days

I know im mad for games at this time of year and this competition needs to be given respect so it can flourish.

Btw Spirit im hearing great things about Armagh Cuchulainns new keeper. Apparently he plays a sweeping role behind the fulll back regularly takes on defenders before sending the ball the length of the field to his corner man. Supposidly he's county material and is tipped for an appearence in the Nicky Rackard. Can you shed any light on this?

I hear he's good alright. Don't know about the county standard bit, international more like it. ;)

milltown row

Spirit yes, the game had at least 7 first and the rest were reserves, unfortunately there was a balls up with the pitch and to be honest we did not take the game as serious as we should have as they are a very good team strong and quick. We played two different teams a mix of both senior and seconds in the first half and the same in the second.

Good game very competitive and after playing Keady a few weeks earlier I'd say you are both about the same standard. Would be good if the likes of Keady and yourselves entered the Antrim leagues at the Division two as you would certainly compete (if not win) and this would bring you on a lot.

nrico2006

Anyone know any results?  Thanks!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Guillem2

Div 1
St Galls beat Ballinascreen and Loughgeil beat Johnnies.  Ardoyne won in Div 5.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

bredaghgael86

Anyone got any results from the weekend?

Spiritof98

Division 3A

Cuchullianns, Armagh 1-10  -  Rasharken 0-5

A keenly fought contest resulting in a good win for us.

nrico2006

Anyone got a copy of the results?  Taking longer and longer every week for them to be posted on ulster.gaa.ie.

Thanks
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Lecale2

In Div 3 Tir Na Nog (Randlestown) beat Bredagh 1-13 to 2-04.

bredaghgael86

Anyone got any results from the weekend, or even point me in the direction i could find them myself. or dsnt anyone really care?haha.