McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Zulu I thought GAA always used sarcasm to make his points and that's up to him, it doesn't bother me.
Here's what I can't understand though. Alright, saying the players reasons for removing Gerald was hollow has more or less been made before. However in the context of no discernable difference in performance that would further substantiate that claim and as my comment related to a particular match it couldn't have been made before. Anything relating to that match couldn't have been made before. You agree the strike as a factor on the one hand yet attempt to stiffle me raising that factor. Are you going to set the agenda for debate?
We're actually in agreement in areas then. I can't understand why, if you want to respond to something, you just cannot come on and say your piece and points as to why you disagree without the continual insults even if you do find my posts or those of others annoying. It's only a wee debating board, not a conduit to insult the world.

Zulu

I think I debated in a very civilised manner for the vast majority of this debate but there is a time to finish any discussion and that has long since past for this one.

QuoteHowever in the context of no discernable difference in performance that would further substantiate that claim and as my comment related to a particular match it couldn't have been made before.

First off you still can't answer my question, what is Geralds style of play and how did it differ to Allen's? Secondly I've pointed out to you already that it is totally unrealistic to expect to a clear difference in a teams style of play over a period of 3 months, especially in an amateur setting, so all you did, as I've also previously said, is you looked at the game and tried to tie the strike into it i.e. you weren't looking at it objectively but simply trying to find some way to bring relate the performance to the strike. That is why you posted nonsense about strike anxiety and styles of play, because Cork didn't make it easy for you by playing poorly, which you would have allowed to say that Gerald wasn't at fault and in reality the players were over the hill.

QuoteI can't understand why, if you want to respond to something, you just cannot come on and say your piece and points as to why you disagree without the continual insults even if you do find my posts or those of others annoying. It's only a wee debating board, not a conduit to insult the world.

Like I've said my frustration at reading your delusions, your complete lack of balance, unwillingness to accept when you are wrong and repetition has lead to some, admittedly, strongly worded posts. But it is very hard to debate rationally with a one topic poster who analysis everything through the prism of the strike.

dowling

In relation to the strike and the here and now the style of play under Gerald isn't relative to that under Allen but the style of play on Sunday was pretty much the same as under Gerald.
I've acknowledged one match wont paint the whole picture - I don't know why you keep going on - so let's rephrase, though you'll probably make an issue of that, first indications from Sunday's match would be there is no discernable difference in play. But we'll see if anything develops. In the meantime you cant have it both ways by saying the strike is a factor and then dismiss it, no matter how small you believe that factor to be.
As for being objective, do you want me to be as objective as you? Are you setting some type of standards there I'm oblivious to?

Zulu

QuoteAs for being objective, do you want me to be as objective as you? Are you setting some type of standards there I'm oblivious to?

Clearly I am.

QuoteIn relation to the strike and the here and now the style of play under Gerald isn't relative to that under Allen but the style of play on Sunday was pretty much the same as under Gerald.

Of course it is, you are saying the Cork style is the same as under Gerald (which by the way is what?) so I want to know how it differs from Allen because if it doesn't then you could say the style is the same as under Allen.

QuoteIn the meantime you cant have it both ways by saying the strike is a factor and then dismiss it, no matter how small you believe that factor to be.

I'm not dismissing the strike but you are dismissing every other factor.

dowling

Zulu to be honest I'm not dismissing any factor, some factors are a constant and others like a new manager especially with a short time period to get a team ready are unusual. However the strikers clearly implied a change in manager would produce a changed Cork hurling team.
More importantly, a post with no abuse. And I like the sense of humour about stardards. You know Zulu I could probably share a beer with you and the chances are we'd get on great.

Zulu

QuoteAnd I like the sense of humour about stardards. You know Zulu I could probably share a beer with you and the chances are we'd get on great.

As long as you didn't blame the price of drink on the strike I'm sure we'd get on fine.

QuoteHowever the strikers clearly implied a change in manager would produce a changed Cork hurling team.

They didn't imply that at all, anyway you can never look at results in isolation and then argue A, B or C.

I can understand people like yourself having an issue with the way the players went about their business over the winter but I can't understand why you seem to have such an issue with the players wanting Gerald to be replaced. Gerald wasn't successful, most people in Cork wouldn't have been happy with him being reappointed (I mean before the whole strike thing) as they didn't think he was tactically good and there was a poor atmosphere in the camp. Even Gerald said he wouldn't have gone back if he thought it would be like his first year in charge, so there was obviously problems between the players and manager.

The bottom line is Gerald is gone (rightly or wrongly) and it is time to look at Cork's performances from a hurling perspective, yes the strike is a factor but talking about styles of play, strike anxiety etc. is only serving to deflect the discussion away from hurling and back to the merits or otherwise of the strike. We won't know if there is an improvement in Cork's performances until they get to the QF at least.

dowling

Appreciate the change in tone Zulu and I wouldn't worry about the price of drink as I assume you'd be paying for it.
To be honest they're fair points you make and one way to look at everything. I acknowledge I could be wrong and I don't mind debating with an opposing argument. But as I've continually said nothing is scientific. Going by the Tipp match as an indicator it's difficult to imagine there will be any great difference between Cork this year and last so the question has to asked what did the strikers achieve changing manager. I have to take issue that they most definitely did imply removing Gerald would see a different Cork team.
But anyway I believe what I wrote after the match and for posters to look upon it as rehased same old same old missed the point. Yes I think the leaders of the strike lacked sincerity and integrity and I have lost respect for them but I'm not alone in relating the strike to the match. I've others who have related it and if you go on the RTE web site you'll find a poll of a similar tone with perhaps surprising results.
It asks if after the performance against Tipp is Cork now a threat in the All-Ireland series.
Yes they were always going to be.
Yes was surprised how good they were considering all that went on.
The Tipp game was about proving a point. They will go backwards after this.
The last one polled 48% 2185 votes out of a total of 4514.
So while I'm not using this poll as support to my arguments it at least shows others think the strike is significantly relevant and that there are plenty with views not dissimilar to my own.

Bing Crosby .

Especially for those pro player blind men , I'll say this ............................ The Cork hurlers strike of 08-09 has monumentally fcuked the proud Cork hurling world for a long time to come .  Relliers and his equal or maybe juvenile sidekick Zulu are the ultimate donuts and any posts that they have the bare faced lunacy of putting up on this thread should be taken with a pinch of salt .

Dowling . I have been monitoring this tread  since the beginning and strongly believe that you have been consistant and fair in your posts .

Relliers . In fairness to you  , you have dragged on on this lonely road and I have great respect for you .

Zulu .    You are a  sad  and lonely individual who should get out of the house more often .

Heffo . You have made me laugh you're obviously one of the brighter sparks around here  .

Bingobus . You're a f**king genius .

Skull .   What can I say .

To those I've left out , my sincere apologies .

Back to reality .

Cork were in all honesty unlucky not to have pulled off a victory against a very mediocre Tipp team last day out , that's the reality . Painting it any other way is bologne . Personally myself I despise any hurling team that goes out on strike , but that said , Cork could have won that match . But now I'm afraid their time has gone .

IMHO Cork are in a transitionary phase . I think personally that it will be a few years before they will gain respect within themselves to achieve another victory in Muster . Munster have had enough of Cork and their silly antics .

G Mc was  disgracefully sideswiped by a team who believed they were better than what they actually were , and if for one minute people think that the actions of the Cork 08 panel are going to be forgotten just because the 09 championship has begun , then they are seriously mistaken  .  No amount of me berating the Cork 08 panel will ever justify the reality .  

Zulu

Run along you child and leave the talking to the grown ups, you have only ever posted nonsense and wild exagerations since you started posting on this site. I disagree with a lot of what dowling, skull1 etc. post on this thread but I can respect their opinions as honest and reflective of their considered views, you on the other hand are a twat and none of your posts should be taken seriously.

Bing Crosby .

Quote from: Zulu on June 09, 2009, 02:06:50 AM
Run along you child and leave the talking to the grown ups, you have only ever posted nonsense and wild exagerations since you started posting on this site. I disagree with a lot of what dowling, skull1 etc. post on this thread but I can respect their opinions as honest and reflective of their considered views, you on the other hand are a t**t and none of your posts should be taken seriously.

You are a silly boy . poor Zulu . :(

Bud Wiser

QuoteEspecially for those pro player blind men , I'll say this ............................ The Cork hurlers strike of 08-09 has monumentally fcuked the proud Cork hurling world for a long time to come .  Relliers and his equal or maybe juvenile sidekick Zulu are the ultimate donuts and any posts that they have the bare faced lunacy of putting up on this thread should be taken with a pinch of salt .

Dowling . I have been monitoring this tread  since the beginning and strongly believe that you have been consistant and fair in your posts .

Relliers . In fairness to you  , you have dragged on on this lonely road and I have great respect for you .

Zulu .    You are a  sad  and lonely individual who should get out of the house more often .

Heffo . You have made me laugh you're obviously one of the brighter sparks around here  .

Bingobus . You're a f**king genius .

Skull .   What can I say .

To those I've left out , my sincere apologies .

Back to reality .

Cork were in all honesty unlucky not to have pulled off a victory against a very mediocre Tipp team last day out , that's the reality . Painting it any other way is bologne . Personally myself I despise any hurling team that goes out on strike , but that said , Cork could have won that match . But now I'm afraid their time has gone .

IMHO Cork are in a transitionary phase . I think personally that it will be a few years before they will gain respect within themselves to achieve another victory in Muster . Munster have had enough of Cork and their silly antics .

G Mc was  disgracefully sideswiped by a team who believed they were better than what they actually were , and if for one minute people think that the actions of the Cork 08 panel are going to be forgotten just because the 09 championship has begun , then they are seriously mistaken  .  No amount of me berating the Cork 08 panel will ever justify the reality .  

Well Bing, not alone are you a fair ould chanter, although I don't see you around much now, but that is about it in a nutshell.

I too admire Reillers for hanging in although he did go awol for a while there about three weeks ago but bounced back after the treatment.  I wonder were the finger extension and finger excercise yokes sponsored by you know who?

Yes, you are right, the effects of the strike will rumble on for years and it gave young lads the excuse to say what was the point in hurling and pointing to the strike.  
There seems to be this idea that if Cork were to beat Tipp and Kilkenny that a point will be proven? The point has already been proven.  Even though I am a Cat's supporter I do not think they are as invincible as they are made out to be.  Waterford never turned up for last years final and Cork lost to them because they should never have been there in the first place.  The point I make is that when they are eventually beaten it coulkd be any one of three or four teams who could do it and if it happens to be Cork then it would be wrong to assume that it will create a benchmark where everthink is hunky dory again.

It won't,  this thead has about twelve more years to run.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Zulu

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on June 09, 2009, 03:02:05 AM
Quote from: Zulu on June 09, 2009, 02:06:50 AM
Run along you child and leave the talking to the grown ups, you have only ever posted nonsense and wild exagerations since you started posting on this site. I disagree with a lot of what dowling, skull1 etc. post on this thread but I can respect their opinions as honest and reflective of their considered views, you on the other hand are a t**t and none of your posts should be taken seriously.

You are a silly boy . poor Zulu . :(

Unfortunately you are as poor at constructing an intelligent argument as you are at constructing a sentence, was your last line written by the class dunce?

Bud I gave you more credit, if you can't see Bing for the fool he is, even if he agrees with your position, it reflects poorly on you.

awfulynice

Cant believe this thread is still going

BUT on the Cork - Tipp match

It was a poor game imo, its a factor of most of the games in the championship now that players are so fit and fast that no one has time on the ball, which results in 6 man tussles all around the pitch...one lad trying to rise it, ball gets flicked away..another lad tries to rise it..and so on until it finally breaks clear. It actually disimproves the game as a spectacle, and i think ive said in an earlier post, i think the better hurling will come from leinster this year with 2 good semi finals nearly gurranteed after the draw on sunday.

A game of two halves Tipp appeared to be running away with the game following the goal after half time, only for Cork to slap over point after point to cut it down to the minimum with a few minutes to go, Only for a bad pass by Setanta and some wayward misses by their forwards Cork would have caused an upset, but Tipp just about held on.

The game will do Corks reputation the world of good, but I think it actually says more about Tipp. I actually doubt they are serious contenders for the all ireland after the way they performed in the second half. The full back line looks to be in a bit of bother, The midfield was destroyed in the second half by John Gardiner and their forwards were dependant on Lar Corbett of all players for a lot of the second half. Eoin Kelly was kept extremely quiet all game, be it because of the injury or the Cork corner back, who apparently has marked him on many occasions and always does well on him i dont know but without him tipp are missing a vital component.

I think they will definately lose to Kilkenny in a final IF they get there. With possibly Galway or even Cork now providing the bigger threat to their all ireland title

orangeman

Quote from: awfulynice on June 09, 2009, 03:20:23 PM

It was a poor game imo, its a factor of most of the games in the championship now that players are so fit and fast that no one has time on the ball, which results in 6 man tussles all around the pitch...one lad trying to rise it, ball gets flicked away..another lad tries to rise it..and so on until it finally breaks clear. It actually disimproves the game as a spectacle, and i think ive said in an earlier post, i think the better hurling will come from leinster this year with 2 good semi finals nearly gurranteed after the draw on sunday.

A game of two halves Tipp appeared to be running away with the game following the goal after half time, only for Cork to slap over point after point to cut it down to the minimum with a few minutes to go, Only for a bad pass by Setanta and some wayward misses by their forwards Cork would have caused an upset, but Tipp just about held on.

The game will do Corks reputation the world of good, but I think it actually says more about Tipp. I actually doubt they are serious contenders for the all ireland after the way they performed in the second half. The full back line looks to be in a bit of bother, The midfield was destroyed in the second half by John Gardiner and their forwards were dependant on Lar Corbett of all players for a lot of the second half. Eoin Kelly was kept extremely quiet all game, be it because of the injury or the Cork corner back, who apparently has marked him on many occasions and always does well on him i dont know but without him tipp are missing a vital component.

I think they will definately lose to Kilkenny in a final IF they get there. With possibly Galway or even Cork now providing the bigger threat to their all ireland title

Time for 13 a side ??????

Reillers

Quote from: awfulynice on June 09, 2009, 03:20:23 PM

Setanta?  ;) You've no idea how much I wish that line was true.