McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Zulu what I wrote was that your response was predictable. You attempt to deride me and defend the indefensible. There's no conspiracy notions in my head. My reference to the lack of condemnation is relative to the post about Canty's remarks. You're attempting to lecture me about 'moving on', well it would have been the easiest thing for Canty to say "it' not an issue now, we've moved on, next question."
Having said that I've no real problem with what he said or what he may say in the future. However certain things those involved in the strike, and let's remember Canty was involved in the strike, say and do are important to some of us and reflects on them. If you and others are incapable of at least putting a question mark over the strikers and Canty for not doing something most of us would see as reasonable then surely you're going into the realms of fanaticism.

Zulu

QuoteYou attempt to deride me and defend the indefensible

I'm deriding you because you are saying nothing new, we know your views, so repeating them ad nauseum is extremely tiresome. 'Defending the indefensible', will you go away out of it, this isn't the holocaust, I won't go back through the whole thing again, suffice to say the Cork players refused to play for a certain man as did the Offaly footballers and the Waterford and Weford hurlers, unfortunate yes, indenfensible? no. And IMO the cause of the whole thing was the CB but we've been there done that.

Things were done and said by all sides during this issue and I'm sure with time all participants will wish they did some things differently and will regret that pain was caused but such is life. Canty said what he said and I don't think 95% of the GAA batted an eyelid because like me the vast majority of the GAA public are now interested only in the championship and couldn't care less about the strike anymore.

It's funny you berate Canty for not looking forward but you haven't looked beyond the Cork strike on your time on this board. Maybe it's time you took some of your own advice and moved on, you can start today by telling us how you think your county will get on in the championship, how are ye fixed, any injuries, new players on the scene? Or we could talk club action if you'd prefer I'm sure someone here is from you're county.

If you expect a man involved in the issue to move on surely you agree it is time for us keyboard warriors who had no direct involvement to move on as well.

anglocelt39

Ah jesus lads even I'm running out of steam now. Zulu you offered Reillers some big brotherly advice a few weeks ago, namely ignore the other side of the argument on this thread and the supporters of the 08 panel will eventually get their wish to move on, on this thread at least. In fairness to the lad he's taken your advice, despite attempts to bait him into rejoining the argument at various times.

So now, all that is left is for you to take your own advice to Reillers and the thing will die a death, on this board at any rate. So Zulu, if you want the discussion on this board to "move on", you need to move on, which of course is an entirely separate thing from coming on to tell the other side of the argument that it's time to move on. So that's clear then. The eternal discussion board conundrum, how do you communicate your wish to no longer communicate. Best of luck
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Zulu

Finally we agree on something AC39 and you are right, I'm signing off from this debate in the hope that it will bring an end to it. So well done to you all, despite the sometimes heated nature of the exchanges some valid points were made and I can appreciate the bona fides of those who held the opposite view to me. We're all GAA men(women) at the end of the day so I'm sure grudges won't be held.

passedit

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 15, 2009, 01:54:36 PM
Ah jesus lads even I'm running out of steam now. Zulu you offered Reillers some big brotherly advice a few weeks ago, namely ignore the other side of the argument on this thread and the supporters of the 08 panel will eventually get their wish to move on, on this thread at least. In fairness to the lad he's taken your advice, despite attempts to bait him into rejoining the argument at various times.

So now, all that is left is for you to take your own advice to Reillers and the thing will die a death, on this board at any rate. So Zulu, if you want the discussion on this board to "move on", you need to move on, which of course is an entirely separate thing from coming on to tell the other side of the argument that it's time to move on. So that's clear then. The eternal discussion board conundrum, how do you communicate your wish to no longer communicate. Best of luck

Celt my Legal dept referred your post to my statistics dept and they have confirmed that your post is 95% good sense. Apparently thats statistically the most sense from a pro CCB poster in 472 pages.  ;)
Don't Panic

Bud Wiser

QuoteInsert Quote
Finally we agree on something AC39 and you are right, I'm signing off from this debate in the hope that it will bring an end to it. So well done to you all, despite the sometimes heated nature of the exchanges some valid points were made and I can appreciate the bona fides of those who held the opposite view to me. We're all GAA men(women) at the end of the day so I'm sure grudges won't be held.

I'm sure you are right, grudges won't be held against posters like Reillers or others on the board but as for the Cork Hurlers who instigated the strike because their standard of living was not up to other professional sportsmens levels I am not so sure.  I for one would not welcome them onto any pitch in the country and the GAA is no better because they should have banned them for two years - at least.

As well as that we never found out if the tracksuits and gear they are using this year is part of their own privatre sponsorship deals or did they get it from the county board, and if not, this has a huge bearing on the future of the GAA because it asks the question if all players/panels can go out and seek their own sponsorship without any involvement of the County Board.?

So I ask the question again:  Where did they get the tracksuits and are the Cork hurling panel allowed to negotiate their own sponsorship deals.  If they did not get the gear from the County Board and it was sponsored then they are not 'amateurs' and as professionals they are in breach of GAA rules and should be fucked out of the championship altogether.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Tatler Jack

See the players spin doctor Kieran Shannon is not moving on. From today's Sunday Tribune:

Q. Are Cork finished?

"A.During the latest strike a hugely frustrated Cork player compared, in private, his team going out onto the field in recent years to a bull entering the arena. Joe Public in the stands thinks it's a fair fight, that everything's above board, totally unaware of what's gone on behind the scenes. The animal has been drugged, had vaseline rubbed into its eyes, cotton stuffed up its nostrils, a needle stuck into its genitals. Suffice to say, even the Cork County Board would never stoop to such measures, but the image, point and comparison made by the player was powerful and apt. Cork were sabotaged before they ever went onto that field.
In two weeks' time they'll again enter the arena and again – through either their own stubbornness or that of the board's – their preparations have been seriously hindered. Whoever was Cork manager for 2009 needed a full league to rebuild and regenerate the team. John Gardiner might have been tried in the forwards – an area screaming out for his aerial ability – and revitalised both his team and his game like Seán Cavanagh's redeployment last year transformed Tyrone. Denis Walsh never got that scope.

In 2006, Cork had the luxury of Wayne Sherlock sitting on the bench. Now they don't and the entire full-back line that kept him off the team is gone as well.

By mid-summer, Cork will be in better shape but their best chance of a trophy will most likely have passed. Was it for just another All Ireland semi-final or even final defeat to Kilkenny, their critics will wonder, that Gerald McCarthy was sacrificed? This Cork team is a dangerous, proud animal that may bloody and even kill someone else's championship hopes. Walsh's enthusiasm has impressed the players. But when they step off his training ground, when they step out of his dressing room, in the tunnel they still see the same blazers that sapped so much of their energy. Outside, their killers and the jeering mob await."

johnneycool

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 17, 2009, 09:06:42 PM
See the players spin doctor Kieran Shannon is not moving on. From today's Sunday Tribune:

Q. Are Cork finished?

"A.During the latest strike a hugely frustrated Cork player compared, in private, his team going out onto the field in recent years to a bull entering the arena. Joe Public in the stands thinks it's a fair fight, that everything's above board, totally unaware of what's gone on behind the scenes. The animal has been drugged, had vaseline rubbed into its eyes, cotton stuffed up its nostrils, a needle stuck into its genitals. Suffice to say, even the Cork County Board would never stoop to such measures, but the image, point and comparison made by the player was powerful and apt. Cork were sabotaged before they ever went onto that field.
In two weeks' time they'll again enter the arena and again – through either their own stubbornness or that of the board's – their preparations have been seriously hindered. Whoever was Cork manager for 2009 needed a full league to rebuild and regenerate the team. John Gardiner might have been tried in the forwards – an area screaming out for his aerial ability – and revitalised both his team and his game like Seán Cavanagh's redeployment last year transformed Tyrone. Denis Walsh never got that scope.

In 2006, Cork had the luxury of Wayne Sherlock sitting on the bench. Now they don't and the entire full-back line that kept him off the team is gone as well.

By mid-summer, Cork will be in better shape but their best chance of a trophy will most likely have passed. Was it for just another All Ireland semi-final or even final defeat to Kilkenny, their critics will wonder, that Gerald McCarthy was sacrificed? This Cork team is a dangerous, proud animal that may bloody and even kill someone else's championship hopes. Walsh's enthusiasm has impressed the players. But when they step off his training ground, when they step out of his dressing room, in the tunnel they still see the same blazers that sapped so much of their energy. Outside, their killers and the jeering mob await."

My, what melodramatic pish. Does he get paid to write that?

NAG

Yeah and paid well, but he can see that many autobiographies coming out of this that he doesnt care now. He is so skewed in his perceptions that he is no longer in a positon to be writing in a balanced way.

theskull1

Jesus what a tosser that Shannon boy is to come out with such drivel.

It'll not be long before a reality TV company starts filming down in Cork.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on May 18, 2009, 08:24:53 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 17, 2009, 09:06:42 PM

Q. Are Cork finished?

My, what melodramatic pish. Does he get paid to write that?

No but he's gets told to write it. By all accounts in the past 2 challenge matches, Cork are flying. This is a trap for Tipp - nothing more.

slow corner back

Tipp v Cork should be a serious game of hurling alright. Cork have lost to Tipp this last two years which in a normal scenario would be enough to have them flying. After the strike et al they should be running through walls to prove a point. Having said that Tipp are the better balanced more reliable team and should not lose at home. One things for sure I will not be betting my mortgage on the outcome.

heffo

Quote from: theskull1 on May 18, 2009, 12:59:34 PM
Jesus what a t**ser that Shannon boy is to come out with such drivel.

It'll not be long before a reality TV company starts filming down in Cork.

Some of the posts by 'entrenched' contributors to this thread are more objective on the issue than Mr Shannon..

Bud Wiser

QuoteNo but he's gets told to write it. By all accounts in the past 2 challenge matches, Cork are flying. This is a trap for Tipp - nothing more.

One of those two challenge matches was against Dublin who they now see fit as good enough to give them a good game but who, when playing the 2009 panel with Gerald were a third rate team.

"Entrenched" contributors Heffo !! I suppose you are referring to the ones who will neither confirm or deny that the Cork Senior Hurling team have gone Professional and can obtain their own funding, their own playing gear and other sponsorship deals directly and without involving their county board while some poor ould f**ker with a peaked cap and a cigarette sticking out of the corner of his mouth is pushing a line marker machine around some field in the back end of Macroom or somewhere in the pissings of rain.  ;)
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dowling

Well Offaly didn't fare too well after the players' revolt against the manager. Could this be taken as a pointer for Cork?