McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 14, 2009, 01:12:30 PM
Is this the most successful thread ever in terms of nr of posts and time its up?

Do i get an award as thread starter?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

That's weird! I was thinking earlier that this is the most prolific thread ever on the board. Over a thousand posts a month!

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2009, 04:54:33 PM
Do you think he might have been asked a question about it and answered? There's fellas around here who went on and on and on about the strike long after it had ended or they had anything interesting to say. The words pot, kettle, black spring to mind.

Plenty of people avoid answering questions for the ' greater good'. Canty either lacks diplomatic skills or was re-enforcing a 'point'. If he really wants to answer questions here's one for him. What did the county footballers have to say about the death threats against the last county manager?

Over to you. Or does the question need to be asked by a journalist?

Zulu

You've asked a question of Canty and then asked me to answer it for him, so waht the hell do you expect? For the record, Graham like all of us i'm sure, was abhorred by these death threats. I'm sure Graham would only be too glad to put this behind him and look forward to the championship, all of us would, well all but a few around here who clearly have litttle to worry them outside of the Cork hurlers.

theskull1

Who are these "all" and the "few" Zulu? Could you give us a percentage breakdown between these two groups? I would contend that the "few" would be a much higher number than the word suggests.

It's like asking the british electorate, once they change the MP expense cliam rules to just forget about it what has happened there. The reality is Zulu that these type of incidents leave a bad aftertaste and for good well principled reasons. To suggest that those who still have major issues with the 08 brigade have simply little to worry about is just showing up your lack of willingness to admit that very fact.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

dowling

Quote from: Zulu on May 15, 2009, 01:24:57 AM
You've asked a question of Canty and then asked me to answer it for him, so waht the hell do you expect? For the record, Graham like all of us i'm sure, was abhorred by these death threats. I'm sure Graham would only be too glad to put this behind him and look forward to the championship, all of us would, well all but a few around here who clearly have litttle to worry them outside of the Cork hurlers.

I didn't ask you to answer for Canty, I asked for your opinion on why he has never mentioned nor condemned publicly - that I'm aware of - the death threats. You were able to give an opinion on why he talked about the strike and you gave an opinion on his probable view of the threats. All I'm asking is that you give an opinion on why Canty in particular, and perhaps now the strikers in general, never addressed the death threats publicly?

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: dowling on May 15, 2009, 01:01:17 AM
Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2009, 04:54:33 PM
Do you think he might have been asked a question about it and answered? There's fellas around here who went on and on and on about the strike long after it had ended or they had anything interesting to say. The words pot, kettle, black spring to mind.

Plenty of people avoid answering questions for the ' greater good'. Canty either lacks diplomatic skills or was re-enforcing a 'point'. If he really wants to answer questions here's one for him. What did the county footballers have to say about the death threats against the last county manager?

Over to you. Or does the question need to be asked by a journalist?

Come on now, grow up boss.

Zulu

Quote from: theskull1 on May 15, 2009, 08:56:55 AM
Who are these "all" and the "few" Zulu? Could you give us a percentage breakdown between these two groups? I would contend that the "few" would be a much higher number than the word suggests.

It's like asking the british electorate, once they change the MP expense cliam rules to just forget about it what has happened there. The reality is Zulu that these type of incidents leave a bad aftertaste and for good well principled reasons. To suggest that those who still have major issues with the 08 brigade have simply little to worry about is just showing up your lack of willingness to admit that very fact.

Skull I look on this site as a 'pub', one in which you can drop into and talk GAA, and a few other things too if you want. But this thread has long since turned into the annoying slightly pissed regular who each time you drop in for a pint and a chat comes up to you a says something like 'I just saw a member of the extended Cork football panel and he didn't drop down on his knees and beg forgiveness off the GAA public for that awful, awful strike, what you think of that eh?'

QuoteI didn't ask you to answer for Canty, I asked for your opinion on why he has never mentioned nor condemned publicly - that I'm aware of - the death threats.

No you didn't, you asked me to answer for him but either way all I can do is speculate on why he hasn't publicly given a view on the death threats, it is clear why he said they footballers would go on strike - he was asked a question. It is only you, who sees a conspiracy in everything to do with the Cork players, who feels he lacks diplomacy (most people wouldn't bat an eyelid at his comment) or is making a point (everyone knows they would have followed through and there is nothing to be gained by dwelling on it).

I can see it now, Anthony Lynch has just done an interview after an epic Munster semi final against Kerry and dowling is typing furiously about how he could answer all those questions about the match but no mention of Gerald, death threats, strikes, blah, blah, blah.

How anyone can be so pompous to feel they are serving the GAA by boring the rest of us by nit picking at every little thing related to the Cork players. Last year the Waterford and Wexford hurlers got rid of their manager, the Offaly footballers did so this year, the main difference is the coaches of those teams accepted the reality, Gerald didn't, have ye any opinion on those players and will ye feel the Cork players got it right if they win the AI, cause ye'll sure as shit be on here if they get beaten.

dowling

When asked about the footballers threat of strike action Canty responded that issue was no longer on the agenda, that Cork GAA was trying to move on and to revisit that now in the media would serve no purpose and be of no help to anyone. His focus was on what he was doing today and it would be unfair to talk about anything that may detract from that.

Managers and players come out with that sort of stuff all the time. If every journalist's question was given a direct and relative answer there wouldn't be secrets in the world.

Anyway predictable response from yourself of misrepresentation and derision.

We all agree the death threats were a disgrace and more. You don't find it strange that Canty or the strikers failed to utter a public condemnation on them but can quite easily explain why Canty would talk about an issue you and others continually say should be put to bed.
Canty can say want he wants but all questions don't have to be answered and many things can be said without waiting for a question to be asked.

dowling

To think that the strikers should have immediately and publicly condemned the death threats is ridiculous?

The GAA

I'm sure they did. everyone condemns that sort of nonsense. i've never heard you condemn the holocost - can i take it you supported it? also, i don't remember Canty striking.

Zulu

Jesus I give up, we're into the middle of May and your still going on about an issue that finished in March. You're so obsessed with this that even when a Cork player answers a question that most GAA people have already forgotten you're on here complaining that he shouldn't have said anything. I wouldn't mind but if a former Cork great gave an interview condeming the players you wouldn't feel the same about him.

You say my response was typical of me, well you have have constantly tried to paint yourself as a reasoned poster just making your points but you have long since stopped being that (if you ever were). All you are at this stage is a one topic conspiracy nut who sees far more in every little innocuous comment and all your posts are therefore typical of you.

Like i say you can argue and debate various topics, which like other posters, I do, but if some poster only repeat posts his view on one topic, derision is all that you can respond with for there is nothing left to debate.