McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: hardstation on April 17, 2009, 12:34:36 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 16, 2009, 10:26:26 PM
Hi Reillers I have a very important question about Cork. Who is the fella in this clip he seems to be a bit of a legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtQzH-k-XnA&feature=related
That's feckin Diarmuid O'Sullivan. Dancing Diarmuid O'Sullivan.

"I luv strikin'..."
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

dowling

Others can say another goalie should be tried and you've no problem with that but I say it and I 'haven't seen Donal og and know nothing about hurling.' After what he and others did I have little respect for the strikers but I am not incapable of acknowledging their abilities. Respect wise I would put John Gardiner alonside D og but as a player for Cork I don't think he'd be easily replaced. So I can make a distinction without a bother.
I do firmly believe the strike has impacted on the 2008 panel in a negative way. It's hard to say how and I know it's early days yet but something seems to be wrong with their game.
I would say most, if not all posters have admired Cork hurling over the years but it's difficult to want them to win anything because there's that feeling that if they were to they would think everything they put GMcC and others through and what their actions and deeds lead to would be justified on their part. I believe that in time to come a number of the 2008 panel will have deep regrets about what they've been involved in and that they didn't speak out.
As for not complimenting players, or past players on their ability, achievements and what they have offered to Cork over the years you haven't been too nice towards Teddy McCarthy.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on April 17, 2009, 01:01:47 AM
Others can say another goalie should be tried and you've no problem with that but I say it and I 'haven't seen Donal og and know nothing about hurling.' After what he and others did I have little respect for the strikers but I am not incapable of acknowledging their abilities. Respect wise I would put John Gardiner alonside D og but as a player for Cork I don't think he'd be easily replaced. So I can make a distinction without a bother.
I do firmly believe the strike has impacted on the 2008 panel in a negative way. It's hard to say how and I know it's early days yet but something seems to be wrong with their game.
I would say most, if not all posters have admired Cork hurling over the years but it's difficult to want them to win anything because there's that feeling that if they were to they would think everything they put GMcC and others through and what their actions and deeds lead to would be justified on their part. I believe that in time to come a number of the 2008 panel will have deep regrets about what they've been involved in and that they didn't speak out.
As for not complimenting players, or past players on their ability, achievements and what they have offered to Cork over the years you haven't been too nice towards Teddy McCarthy.

No, others who genuinely think that other players should be played in other positions, I've no problem with that, but when you go saying he's been awful lately when you've seen him play twice this season is your personalised and biased opinion, like when Heffo tried to be all high and mighty, trying to make the other keepers look like saints but Donal Og like the spawn of the devil for having a go at the ref, something which is incredibly common in keepers, like I said his personal biased opinion led him to say that. Now if Realrebel, someone I know actually has an opinion about Cork hurling makes a comment about it, that I'll take, that I'm 99.9% sure isn't personal bias and is what he actually thinks about the player, regardless of who he is or what he's done. He doesn't try to look for things wrong with the time that isn't there. For the love of God like they've been training for a few weeks, that's why they aren't playing like they should be this time of year. And if I remember correctly they seemed to click very well and play their heart out against Clare when we'd a player sent off. They play for eachother, they'll fight for eachother. There is harmony in that squad. They are united but you try to make out like there's something there when there's no evidence that suggests that, just speculation from trouble makers up and down the county who know nothing of Cork hurling.

What most people's opinion who don't understand what happened, like yours like many on here, and say you know plenty about it, from the press, from on here..etc. But you don't, and ya you are sick of me saying it, but you don't understand you don't get how it works. It was neccesary. You don't get the feeling in the clubs. And I don't think you will, it's not your fault, but you'll never get it.

There isn't a moment that anyone on the panel doesn't wish that it didn't happen. You don't think that they regret wasting months, 3 times now? But it was needed and when it comes to it, the only ones who will stand up to this dictatorship are the players, whether it's their place or not. They are the only ones who'll stand up and fight.
Things aren't resolved, but not because of lack of trying through the players, the clubs had a chance to go for the heart and they didn't, they went for the balls and the CCB are still left standing..just wounded instead of dead.
And now, we're stuck back here, and next season or 3 seasons from now, maybe with an entirely different group of players we'll be stuck back in here again. Not because it's enjoyable, not because the players like it, Deane has said, and I've said it several times, each time ignored, that the last strike was more stressful then waiting for his test results. It's not somethng that they enjoy or look for to gain power. I mean they don't get the entire support of the clubs in Cork for selfish reasons. It was neccesary.

You know there's a genuine hate of the Cork players, while the CCB have gone back in hiding and watch in enjoyment at this hate. Ye only look at one side, ye want to bash the players, ye go on this speach of how oh ye loved Cork hurling..but. I mean if ye did, if ye paid attention, you'd know that it's not as black and white as ye desire and would love it to be.

Players were treated appaulingly, as were the clubs and yet no one on here gives a damn about that. Gerald wasn't the only victim in all of this.
It's poor Gerald this, poor Gerald that, the players were a disgrace..etc. Now I'm not disputing that Gerald was treated badly at a point, but how and by who?

Now, Gerald didn't deserve what he got in the end, and I'm truely sorry for what happened. But you are directing so much hate an anger at the players. But somewhere surely in your mind others have to take some sort of responsibilty.

Gerald got caught up in all of this because he was a pawn, but Gerald had no problem standing in that ring for the fight. The CCB might have set him up for the fall, but Gerald hopped in that ring all guns blazing with no questions asked.

He was treated badly,but nothing to the extent that the players are getting now. He got treated badly and for that I am truely sorry, but truthfully, by who?

Everyone was hurt and everyone was treated badly, everyone has suffered but the CCB, doesn't that mean something to you, ya the players have had some of the grief that they've got comming.
But they are not at fault for everything that has happened. They did what they thought was right. And the clubs backed them fully. The players felt that they needed to fight the CCB, now whether you agree that that was the best way to go about it, or whether it was their place or not, it's what they felt was neccesary, something no one else was willing to do. Not the clubs, or the pawns sitting at the board meetings.
Surely you see that.

I've no doubt you wont take in this post, I know full well you'll just say something about rambling and you'll dismiss this completely.

heffo

Were you on the brandy posting that raimis?

There is far too much waffle to analyse your rambling post, but I will pick you up on two points:

"What most people's opinion who don't understand what happened, like yours like many on here, and say you know plenty about it, from the press, from on here..etc. But you don't, and ya you are sick of me saying it, but you don't understand you don't get how it works" - You don't understand yourself anything to do with it - you post second and third hand information that you've copied and pasted from rebelagaa & PROC and when it's pointed out that what you've posted is factually incorrect - you become exhasperated and claim 'that's what you were told'

"I'm not disputing that Gerald was treated badly at a point, but how and by who?" - By a group of players who he stood by when they needed him, who leaked information to Kieran Shannon (who was the first journalist to write on the saga) designed to make Ger Mac look like a senile old fool, who claimed with a straight face that 'it was never about Ger Mac', who rounded up a wholly unrepresentative of Cork hurling mob who made continually made threats to Ger Mac and his family - thats who..

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on April 17, 2009, 12:22:04 AM
It's difficult to guage just how the GPA sits at present in view of the response to the Kilkenny defeat accross the country but after the immediate shallow success of the strikers Dessie and co probably thought they had been strengthened. However they are now trying to exert their pressure group influence regarding the possible rule change, bypassing all GAA mechanisms, so maybe they think their position has been stregthened. If you're really opposed to the GPA you may hope the Cork strike hasn't strengthened their position.

I must have missed a fair bit when i was away. Either that or dowling is still a one issue (gpa) man.

What have the gpa got to do with kilkenny hammering cork?

are the players not entitled to their opinion on the new rules?

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on April 17, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
"I'm not disputing that Gerald was treated badly at a point, but how and by who?" - By a group of players who he stood by when they needed him, who leaked information to Kieran Shannon (who was the first journalist to write on the saga) designed to make Ger Mac look like a senile old fool, who claimed with a straight face that 'it was never about Ger Mac', who rounded up a wholly unrepresentative of Cork hurling mob who made continually made threats to Ger Mac and his family - thats who..

what nonsense.

he was treated badly by his county board, who knew exactly the reaction they'd get when they appointed him. denying that is sticking your head in the sand.
don't start talking about leaking info - it could get very embarassing for ger again

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on April 17, 2009, 10:51:23 AM

don't start talking about leaking info - it could get very embarassing for ger again

Lets deal solely in facts so - timeline as a matter of record - who starting the leaking of information to the media?

Reillers

Were you on the brandy posting that raimis?

There is far too much waffle to analyse your rambling post, but I will pick you up on two points:

"What most people's opinion who don't understand what happened, like yours like many on here, and say you know plenty about it, from the press, from on here..etc. But you don't, and ya you are sick of me saying it, but you don't understand you don't get how it works" - You don't understand yourself anything to do with it - you post second and third hand information that you've copied and pasted from rebelagaa & PROC and when it's pointed out that what you've posted is factually incorrect - you become exhasperated and claim 'that's what you were told'

A typical "Heffo" and in fairness the others like you, response, you try to ignore some of what I say by saying it's just ramble and "waffle"..like I said you would. You did that.
You then tried to dismiss it by devaluing my knowledge of what happened, I understand it perfectly and you think for some reason that I spend time on Rebelgaa and POC "Copying and pasting" something which has never been proved, now maybe I copied a team and pasted it in here, but that's about it. Now insult me all you like but my info 99% of the time is first hand, but go ahead, it's childish all right trying to use that argument but clearly you've nothing else to say but that. But all you are doing there is trying to devalue my information and my opinion which is pretty insulting. But I'm used to it by your type by now.

So the players treated him badly by "leaking" (ya lets go there) that's why?

The players said that he wasn't a good manager, which was true, they gave their opinion, it wasn't "leaking." It was their opinion.
Now Gerald was the one who didn't know some of their names, or clubs they were from..etc. Which is laughable but true. What he said, we all knew all ready. That had been going around Cork for ages. Was nothing new to us.

So besides a comment or two in Shannon's article about his management, that's what you call treating him badly? That justifies all of this?

Do the CCB not fall anywhere on that scale?

All this is because of that?
They are the main culprits for it because they said what he was, a bad coach? Something which EVERYONE in Cork could see.
Everyone in Cork had heard those rumours.
And I can tell ya, no one wanted him back. We all knew he wasn't good enough. A hell of a player, but he had his time and he tried and it didn't work out, it's no shame, it happens.

But anyway, the players say that and what about what followed? Gerald has interview after interview, well able to hold his own and insulted and criticised the players till the cows came home every chance he got. He had 40 odd interviews from there till the players press conference, in those he had managed to win over nearly the entire country and 90% of the media, papers were printing crap after crap and abuse about the players attacking them day after day, while the players, only had like 7 or 8. They were lossing terribly. Ye even said it. They were loosing the PR badly by miles.
I mean ye treat him and act like Gerald is some naive child who needs protecting from this awful place. He was well able to hold his own and did so. He was sneaky and cute and was winning the battle by a clear mile.
He had no problem making insults about the players, attacking them personally, much more then saying that his training was "mickey mouse" it was disgraceful stuff at times, but no one would admit that because it was Gerald. That's fine, he did what he thought was needed and to be honest I can't say if I was in his position I wouldn't have done the same. But would ye ever admit it though. He's not a child, so stop treating him like he was some little old as you put it "senial" old man who needs protecting. He did a hell of a job and had the players being murdered in the press.

Now the only thing that changed was the players won the backing of the clubs, overwhelmingly. The clubs are the ones who when given the floor by the players spent ages venting and raging about the CCB. The clubs are the ones who voted to back the players FULLY even the what would have seen as pro CCB clubs didn't back Gerald.
The players were getting hammered in the press, on here, everywhere, the only thing that changed was the clubs backed the players.

The clubs turned on the CCB for the first time in a very long time and the CCB like I said he would, was used as a shield. The CCB betrayed him in the end, and the clubs are the one who got rid of him in the end.
The players asked a simple question and they got a very loud, anger fuled response. Gerald as I said he would be was caught up in it all. The CCB are hated by their own, despised is more appropriate and Gerald was dangled as bait, hoping that it was enough to get rid of them.

Now so besides the players saying he was a bad a manager.
Was it not the CCB who let him be the bait.
And was it not the clubs who took him down?

The players asked a question, and untill that question was asked all they had gotten was abuse and hate while Gerald was getting support and backing like he was a national hero for what he was doing.
The players asked a question, at the end of the day they didn't make anyone do anything.
You are angry at the way Gerald was treated.
But maybe just maybe you are targeting too much of that hate at the players.

Everyone was hurt in this, the players and the clubs were as much victims as Gerald was, but while the players are now getting waves of hate and abuse, the CCB have got back in hiding.
And that is why I know you don't understand what's going on, you are making it too black and white.
You're angry. But that anger isn't totally directed in the right place. If you understood the situation maybe you'd get what I'm saying.

Instead all you're going to do to this is dismiss it, ignore it and say it's all waffle and ramble and insult me again.

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on April 17, 2009, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: dowling on April 17, 2009, 12:22:04 AM
It's difficult to guage just how the GPA sits at present in view of the response to the Kilkenny defeat accross the country but after the immediate shallow success of the strikers Dessie and co probably thought they had been strengthened. However they are now trying to exert their pressure group influence regarding the possible rule change, bypassing all GAA mechanisms, so maybe they think their position has been stregthened. If you're really opposed to the GPA you may hope the Cork strike hasn't strengthened their position.

I must have missed a fair bit when i was away. Either that or dowling is still a one issue (gpa) man.

What have the gpa got to do with kilkenny hammering cork?

are the players not entitled to their opinion on the new rules?

No one said it had anything to do with it. Read the thing right and then ask another question.

This isn't the 'players' giving an opinion, it's the playing members of the GPA giving an opinion.
Nothing wrong with players giving an opinion and nothing wrong with anyone else in the GAA giving an opinion, we just haven't all been afforded the opportunity.
What is wrong is the GPA trying to assert its 'pressure group' stature.

INDIANA

spend time on Rebelgaa and POC

I used to post to kilkenny cats a lot before it got shut down. I think its up and running and again. Haven't rejoined-anyway to cut a long story short- Used to be a Reillers from Cork on that as well. I wonder.............................. ;D ;D

Reillers

I'm not even on POC and don't really give it the time of day.
But it is very interesting to see you spend so much of your time on different sites, none of which have anything to do with Dublin. It's strange to see you spending time on topics that don't have anything to do with your own county or interests for that matter.
It could bring questions over what you actually do in your spare time, but whatever. I unlike you don't have time to go parading around on other sites, nor would I want to, not the Kilkenny cats one, or a Tipp one or a Waterford one for that matter. Think what you like but it wasn't me. I just don't have the time.

So go waste your time on something else, maybe some sort of Dublin one might be an idea, instead of trying to wind me up.  ::) It's getting old and childish at this stage. Strangely convenient that you happen to remember that there is one there, almost too convenient.  I mean let me guess, there's probably one on the Tipp site, and the Deise one as well and hell maybe one just might magically apear on FR. Sersiouly Indy, have you nothing better to do?

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on April 17, 2009, 03:32:43 PM
So go waste your time on something else, maybe some sort of Dublin one might be an idea, instead of trying to wind me up.  ::) It's getting old and childish at this stage. Strangely convenient that you happen to remember that there is one there, almost too convenient.  I mean let me guess, there's probably one on the Tipp site, and the Deise one as well and hell maybe one just might magically apear on FR. Sersiouly Indy, have you nothing better to do?

Nice one  :D. I love irony...cheers  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on April 17, 2009, 03:32:43 PM
I'm not even on POC and don't really give it the time of day.
But it is very interesting to see you spend so much of your time on different sites, none of which have anything to do with Dublin. It's strange to see you spending time on topics that don't have anything to do with your own county or interests for that matter.
It could bring questions over what you actually do in your spare time, but whatever. I unlike you don't have time to go parading around on other sites, nor would I want to, not the Kilkenny cats one, or a Tipp one or a Waterford one for that matter. Think what you like but it wasn't me. I just don't have the time.

Could ask you the same thing Reillers. In general I work 12 hour days but one of the advantages of running the place is having your own office. Know what I mean ;). So from time to time I delve in and out to break the monotony of the day. But I certainly have things to be doing at 2.29am on a thursday night/friday morning-unlike you it seems. Called sleep. ;D But then again I forgot the schools were off this week.

Reillers

Haven't been in secondary school for a long long time Indy.
As I've said before a lot of my work involves travel, too much of it, so excuse me for trying to pass time on my laptop.
I do not however spend all my life long day on sites talking about things I don't like which seems to be what you Indy, and Skull as well, seem to be doing.

INDIANA

Course you don't you've just spent more time on this thread than anyone else and been on other websites as well. If you can't see the hypocrisy in that I rest my case my friend.  ;D