McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

'pottymouth'

That made me laugh too.
Was that a polite way of being abusive?

Bud Wiser

QuoteHow can anyone answer a question on something that noone believes exists much less know anything about. While you're interrogating walt disney, ask him where the witch put my magic mirror....

Who gave the 2008 has beens the tracksuits they wore to the press conferences?  If the county board did not give them to them did they hold a Texas Hold 'Em night and buy them themselves?

Who is the official sponsor of the Cork Hurling Team and is it to the actual team or the county board the funds go to?

Was part of the row that caused the strike and the fire that was directed at Frank Murphy not because the county board were pretty pissed off because players were receiving direct sponsorship that was not passing through the county board?

Surely to jaysus you don't need a brush and a mirror to answer those two questions since you are so closely associated with Cork Hurlers?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

dowling

Reillers I don't know why it's all media with you as if the only source of information is from 'journos' as you like to call them. I've spoken to people from Cork, and not all of the same opinion as myself, I've read and listened to what 'leading' figures in Cork and the GAA have said on the matter, I've taken on board the views of posters on this site who would be close to the matter and I've read and listened to members of the 2008 panel as well as Gerald and the county board. And for me this year's strike cannot be detacthed from last year's strike.
At the end of it all I made my judgement. You have a different opinion as do others. Normally I would say so be it but not in this case as there's a cost in all this in personal terms and for Cork and the wider GAA as a whole. Even if I was to agree that Gerald wasn't the man to manage Cork the cost of removing him wasn't worth it. It could be argued that the 2008 panel didn't realise what the cost of their objectives would be and to a degree I would say that is true but I would also say they were tunnel visioned in their pursuit of their aims regardless of causualties. And while I'm not implying any link to the 2008 panel some poor sod felt motivated enough to threaten the life of Gerald.
What has happened has happened but the likes of yourself need to at least open your eyes and ask if what you've got now was worth the cost to Cork. Because if that strike and all the ill-will that went with it was 'for the good of Cork hurling' then something went wrong because Cork is now worse off. And a lot of us predicted that.
Most of the GAA world can see that and if I'm talking bullshit I'm at least in good company.

passedit

Quote from: dowling on April 08, 2009, 11:26:41 AM
'pottymouth'

That made me laugh too.
Was that a polite way of being abusive?

Like I said, context is everything. Lectures about our language first then plenty of 'pottymouth' yerself.

I used the term so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities.
Don't Panic

The GAA

Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 08, 2009, 11:26:56 AM
QuoteHow can anyone answer a question on something that noone believes exists much less know anything about. While you're interrogating walt disney, ask him where the witch put my magic mirror....

Who gave the 2008 has beens the tracksuits they wore to the press conferences?  If the county board did not give them to them did they hold a Texas Hold 'Em night and buy them themselves?

Who is the official sponsor of the Cork Hurling Team and is it to the actual team or the county board the funds go to?

Was part of the row that caused the strike and the fire that was directed at Frank Murphy not because the county board were pretty pissed off because players were receiving direct sponsorship that was not passing through the county board?

Surely to jaysus you don't need a brush and a mirror to answer those two questions since you are so closely associated with Cork Hurlers?

So in respone to a question of substantiation to your accusations against the cork hurlers, you ignore it and post more fairy stories? Typical of your infrequent interjections to this thread.

INDIANA

Typical of your infrequent interjections to this thread.

arguably the most hypocritical post on the thread.

The GAA

And if i wanted to be petty like you, because you've been embarrassed so frequently on this and oter threads, i'd say you're arguably the most hypocritical poster on te thread.

but i don't want to be.

theskull1

Quote from: The GAA on April 08, 2009, 12:03:27 PM
Quote from: Bud Wiser on April 08, 2009, 11:26:56 AM

So in respone to a question of substantiation to your accusations against the cork hurlers, you ignore it and post more fairy stories? Typical of your infrequent interjections to this thread.

Wha??? Were they wearing the emperors new cloths?

Dodging of the highest order is it not GAA? The issue of tracksuits is a straight forward question surely?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

hold on a second there skull...

he made accusations of players pocketing some sponsorship money or other due to the county board - a strong charge and something i for one certainly know nothing about. he was asked to substantiate same. in reply, instead of coming up with a source or facts or figures, he throws another charge out about free track suits?

perhaps you know the ins and outs about sponsorship deals and tracksuits that aren't in the public domain?

for me its typical bud - throw as much made up shit as you can at the players and it'll at least create a smell and some of it stick.

I thought we were well past the name calling and side issues since action has begun on the real issues on the table but i guess some lads can't get past the hurlers getting their way - whether they were right or not.

theskull1

You could of course have repled with "it's a fair question" and leave it at that. Because questions like these need to get answered and rebuked by the 08 protaganists if they can do so. To dismiss them leaves doubt.

The reality is that many many Gaels have too many doubts about why the 08 panel were motivated to do what they had done and they way they did it. So much damage has been done by their militancy when all they had to do was walk away if they didn't like the set-up. Why?

To save Cork hurling? My arse.

Well all the endorsements in the world won't take away all the respect lost by the 08 panelists (the main protaganists especially). It's a terrible shame.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

Quote from: The GAA on April 08, 2009, 12:26:45 PM

And if i wanted to be petty like you, because you've been embarrassed so frequently on this and oter threads, i'd say you're arguably the most hypocritical poster on te thread.

but i don't want to be.

You must be mixing me up with yourself! I love your attempts at canonisation on this website. Provides me with some light relief in these heady times.

anglocelt39

Martin Breheny in today's Indo, but sure I suppose he knows shag all about Cork hurling and is not on first name terms with the plyers therefore rendering him ineligible to comment. In any event, I found it interesting.

So what did Cork expect? That after engaging in a bitter civil war,
bringing the GAA into disrepute and distorting the hurling League for a
second successive year they would experience no pain?

It looked as if they might get away with it too when Clare and Limerick
accommodated Cork's return to full power by producing poor displays
which allowed the striking Leeside martyrs to fast-track up the Division
1 table, but Kilkenny were always going to be as difficult as they are
different.

Galway and Tipperary, both of whom went about their pre-season business
in a structured way, were overwhelmed by 11 and 17 points respectively,
so what would it have said about Cork had they done better against
Kilkenny after a late return to action than two teams who are regarded
as being among the 'best of the rest'?

It would have suggested that there really was something special about
Cork and that, despite their front-line troops entering the season
several weeks late, they could still march faster than most other teams.
Well, now they know the truth.

Last Sunday's humiliation brought into some perspective what has gone on
in Cork. It was unfortunate for new manager Denis Walsh, who could never
have envisaged a few weeks ago that he would find himself leading the
squad into April, but, for others, there was a sense that they got what
they deserved.

Absent

Not all of them, of course, since quite a few of the '08 team were
absent on Sunday, although it's unlikely that their presence would have
done much to calm the Kilkenny storm. It didn't matter what team Cork
had on duty, they were always going to lose by bigger margins than those
endured by the original '09 squad against Dublin, Tipperary or Galway.

Cork ruined the early rounds of the League so sympathy would be in short
supply when a day of reckoning finally came. It should have arrived
earlier, but both Clare and Limerick lacked the wherewithal to even beat
a team that had only informal training behind them and which didn't play
their first game until March 22. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of
Clare or Limerick, now is it?

In fairness to the Cork players, they had to suffer their mortification
in front of 15,000 spectators and the TG4 cameras last Sunday, whereas
the officials who played such a large part in creating the great big
mess in the first place could skulk in the shadows. All this talk of
moving on and new beginnings may sound encouraging, but the clear
impression still abounds that, while a giant fire blanket has been
fitted over Cork, there could be another dangerous outbreak when it's
removed.

The cheers which went up in venues as far apart as Parnell Park, Wexford
Park and Pearse Stadium when news of Cork's thrashing was relayed over
the PA underlined the level of antipathy towards Rebel-land over the
mess they created, not just for themselves but for others too.

Some blamed the players while others believed the County Board was the
culpable party, but the broad view was that both sides had a case to
answer. Cork needed a stiff reminder of the realities of life and
dispensing such just happens to be a Kilkenny speciality.

For reasons which actually don't stack up, only one team will be
relegated from Division 1, which means that Cork are safe. It's more
than their entitlement after again messing up the spring campaign, but
then it would also have caused problems in Division 2 next year if they
were relegated.

Cork treated the rest of the hurling world with contempt in recent
months and so there had to be at least one payback day. Walsh -- a
decent man who will do a good job if he gets the necessary support --
didn't deserve to have his arrival as manager marked with such a
embarrassment, but he can look in the mirror knowing that it wasn't his
fault. His players or the Board can't say the same.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

AZOffaly

longrunsthefox

That's a good piece and he doesn't fawn all over the players like a lot of reporters. Nice one Martin.

dowling

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2009, 10:11:31 PM
Jaysus lads. Is this thread still going on?

Well there's still a lot of fallout.

But there's a new thread starting soon.   "Denis Walsh admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers"